Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import problem  (Read 1235 times)

Greg D

Import problem
« on: September 07, 2009, 03:21:07 pm »

I've just moved Lightroom (2.4 running on Windows Vista 64-bit) to a new computer and am having a strange import problem.  After moving pictures and catalog to the new computer, I opened the catalog and waited for the previews with their little question marks to appear so I could re-link them.  But surprise - no question marks.  The catalog knew where all the image files were.  But how can this be, since they're on a new drive now??  This may not seem like a problem, but I bet it's related to the real problem:  Now when I import pictures, LR refuses to show them in the proper hierarchy in the folder bar.  Rather than showing them as a subfolder of the folder to which I imported them, it shows the new subfolder as a top-level folder.  When I check their location on the disk, they are in their proper place, in the newly created subfolder just where I intended.  This is not the first time I've moved LR and a catalog  - did so less than a month ago and had no problems.  (New computer died prematurely, hence the second move.)  I'm flummoxed - anyone know what's up?
Thanks

Edit - Can't say I figured it out, but I did solve the problem.  Deleted all photos and catalog from the new computer and started over.  Perhaps odd behavior was due to the fact that I copied the entire folder containing all my image folders as well as the the LR folder containing the catalog to the new computer's "Pictures" folder as one unit?  Went back and copied all image folders and LR folder to new Pictures folder individually.  This time I got the question marks I expected when I opened the catalog, but when I went to locate the files, it still treated each re-linked folder as a new top-level folder!?#@?  At that point I closed LR, re-opened using my most recent catalog backup, went through the find missing folders routine, and all worked fine.  Still wondering what I did wrong, so if anyone has any ideas....
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 08:48:20 am by grog13 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up