Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: gobs of ink  (Read 2846 times)

pulley

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 81
gobs of ink
« on: September 07, 2009, 08:57:30 AM »

I have a Z2100 and up until now have had no issues with printer. I don't use the printer that much as it still has the original 69ml cartridges in it. I recently replaced the yellow cartridge and now I get globs of yellow and magenta mix on my paper, real heavy globs of ink. So, I took out the yellow/magenta printhead and noticed it was saturated with ink. I blotted the head with a lint-free damp towel and the head continued to leak ink as I cleaned it. Anyways, I put the head back in and there was no difference, still globs of ink on the paper. I assume it is a faulty printhead and will replace it. Am I correct in thinking that that it is a faulty printhead? Just seems strange that this happened directly after replacing the yellow ink cartridge.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 08:58:48 AM by pulley »
Logged

Ernst Dinkla

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3519
gobs of ink
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 10:33:50 AM »

Quote from: pulley
I have a Z2100 and up until now have had no issues with printer. I don't use the printer that much as it still has the original 69ml cartridges in it. I recently replaced the yellow cartridge and now I get globs of yellow and magenta mix on my paper, real heavy globs of ink. So, I took out the yellow/magenta printhead and noticed it was saturated with ink. I blotted the head with a lint-free damp towel and the head continued to leak ink as I cleaned it. Anyways, I put the head back in and there was no difference, still globs of ink on the paper. I assume it is a faulty printhead and will replace it. Am I correct in thinking that that it is a faulty printhead? Just seems strange that this happened directly after replacing the yellow ink cartridge.

Hard to say.
Usually similar problems were the result of a dirty capping station area and the head carriage picking up ink from that area and dropping it while printing. You could check/clean that side when you select head change on the printer panel and look in the right side interior with a torch at hand.

It could be that the yellow cart was overfilled and put more pressure on that channel when inserted. If you print a full yellow area of say 10 square feet on cheap paper it may solve the issue. A head going dead after using only one cart of 69 ML isn't normal so unlikely.


met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
Logged

Colorwave

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1006
    • Colorwave Imaging
gobs of ink
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 01:09:18 PM »

Ernst-
I'm curious if you always clean the printheads by telling it you are exchanging new ones.  I always have in the past, but am not fond of the fact that it asks for you to recalibrate all your papers after that (although I don't always do it).  Have you ever tried the technique of unplugging the printer when the printheads are in motion and away from the capping station?  I'm not sure at what state that generally leaves the lid of the capping station, nor whether any further damage might occur from doing that, but have heard others mention the technique.  I cleaned mine, and the edges of the carriage recently, but am still getting an errant drip here and there and must have missed something.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 01:10:23 PM by Colorwave »
Logged

Ernst Dinkla

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3519
gobs of ink
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 03:03:06 PM »

Quote from: Colorwave
Ernst-
I'm curious if you always clean the printheads by telling it you are exchanging new ones.  I always have in the past, but am not fond of the fact that it asks for you to recalibrate all your papers after that (although I don't always do it).  Have you ever tried the technique of unplugging the printer when the printheads are in motion and away from the capping station?  I'm not sure at what state that generally leaves the lid of the capping station, nor whether any further damage might occur from doing that, but have heard others mention the technique.  I cleaned mine, and the edges of the carriage recently, but am still getting an errant drip here and there and must have missed something.

Well what I do isn't something I like to write about as it might give more headaches to the user than what I normally tell them. I have made the removal of the right side panel easier so open it and pull the plug right when the capping station lays completely bare: wipers etc visible. And I still think it isn't a good idea to write that. There's a harddisk spinning internally.


met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
Logged

Colorwave

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1006
    • Colorwave Imaging
gobs of ink
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 03:25:29 PM »

Hmmm . . . well, you secret's certainly safe with pulley and me.  
I thought that the lid to the capping station was more of a source of ink blobs than the wipers, but perhaps it only looks bad and never makes contact with the carriage or inkheads.  Are you cleaning the part under the capping station lid when you do this (the wipers?)?
Logged

Ernst Dinkla

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3519
gobs of ink
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 04:11:45 PM »

Quote from: Colorwave
Hmmm . . . well, you secret's certainly safe with pulley and me.  
I thought that the lid to the capping station was more of a source of ink blobs than the wipers, but perhaps it only looks bad and never makes contact with the carriage or inkheads.  Are you cleaning the part under the capping station lid when you do this (the wipers?)?

No, I think you are right about the transfer of ink waste to the carriage, it happens with the lid closed. Having easier access to the capping station and in more ways is what I like about the last method. Cleaning the lid is the most effective thing you can do.


met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
Logged

pulley

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 81
gobs of ink
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 10:00:57 PM »

Thanks for the info. Here's an example of what I'm talking about. Maybe a visual would help? The text was suppose to be red. Printed on coated adhesive vinyl.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 10:02:46 PM by pulley »
Logged

Colorwave

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1006
    • Colorwave Imaging
gobs of ink
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 10:43:30 PM »

Wow, that's not what I was expecting to see.  I've use my printer daily for almost two years now and never run into anything that looks like that.  I think the areas that are missing ink are more troubling than the areas with extra ink.  

You hadn't mentioned the bands of no color.  Was it doing that before cleaning?  If it wasn't, did you perhaps touch the contacts that run up the back of the cartridge?  Is there a lot of ink on the area where the contacts seat inside the printer, that might be screwing up the electrical connection?  Did you blot, or wipe the bottom of the printhead?  Have you checked the printer utility for the reported status of the printheads?  Other than those questions and/or issues, I have no idea what might cause such nasty print quality problems.  My worst ink blob scenario still had nice printing under the splats of extra ink.  It doesn't look like a headstrike.  Perhaps others have seen something like this, but I haven't.
Logged

Ernst Dinkla

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3519
gobs of ink
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 06:52:35 AM »

Quote from: pulley
Thanks for the info. Here's an example of what I'm talking about. Maybe a visual would help? The text was suppose to be red. Printed on coated adhesive vinyl.

I would check the Light Magenta, Magenta, Yellow cart on weight, a 69 ML is 43 grams when empty, about 120 grams when full. Where you would expect 69 -71 grams content it is actually 77 grams, HP overfills the cart and you really get 69 or more ML for consumption. The yellow cart may have been even more overfilled. Then check the head contacts, the yellow ink overflow may have caused problems there and both Y and M not acting properly. Another reason could be a broken barrier between the Y and M sides of the head, has been reported here before.


met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
Logged

pulley

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 81
gobs of ink
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 02:57:42 PM »

Yep, a picture is worth a 1000 words. There was no banding before, everything printed A1, until I replaced the yellow ink cartridge. When cleaning the yellow/magenta printhead I made sure not touch the electrical part. When I had the printhead out, I could constantly keep blotting and the ink woul still keep coming out. Is that normal?

Forgot to mention that all the ink cartridges are the original 69ml, except for the new 130ml yellow I just installed. The printer is 2 years old (I don't print much) and all printheads and cartridges are out of warranty, except the new yellow cartridge.

I talked to a local HP tech and he feels I need a new printhead, so I ordered one and should have it soon.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 03:03:05 PM by pulley »
Logged

pulley

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 81
gobs of ink
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 10:53:08 AM »

FAULTY PRINTHEAD! Just installed the new one and everything prints great! Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions.
Logged

Colorwave

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1006
    • Colorwave Imaging
gobs of ink
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 04:12:46 PM »

Glad to hear it was solvable without having to jump through hoops.  I wonder what went wrong, since you said you had very low mileage on it?
Happy printing.  Are you using the HP adhesive vinyl, or something else.  I've used the HP Colorfast Adhesive Vinyl, and it works pretty well, although I'd prefer a little more saturated colors with it.
Logged

pulley

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 81
gobs of ink
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 10:10:38 PM »

Colorwave, not sure what happened to the head, but when I hold the head, ink will pool at the bottom and I can keep blotting the ink and it still leaks. Weird!  I am using an adhesive vinyl from a local sign supplier and I beliieve it's from China, prints great considering a coated matte finish. I am going to order HP everyday adhesive polypropylene, great price, too see how that compares to vinyl. Basically, vinyl,  polypropylene and occationally photo satin paper is all I print on and I pretty much laminate everything.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up