Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson GS6000  (Read 8341 times)

DougMorgan

• http://www.bcpanorama.com
Epson GS6000
« on: September 07, 2009, 12:26:46 am »

Hello all:

I'm looking for some information on the Epson GS6000 solvent printer and wonder if anyone has any direct experience with it for fine-art sort of photographic applications?

How does print quality compare to a 9800~9900 inkjet?

How does the color gamut compare to the current ultrachrome printers?

Is this type of printer more reliable for color reproduction?

For canvas is coated media required for a result as good as a water-based inkjet?   Can normal inkjet canvas be used?

What's the story with a photo paper like premium luster?   or Enhanced matte?

Is clogging less of an issue with these type of printer?

What sort of ink savings could I expect on say a square footage basis over the 98xx?

Is there another brand/model I should be looking at as well?   Roland seems to have a few touted for art reproductions but the samples shown look more like home-decor type abstracts rather than detailed photographs.

Thanks in advance!
Doug

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Epson GS6000
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 04:12:24 am »

Solvent based inks can dissolve PVC, so you can print on vinyl media, but they're more or less toxic and stink. These printers are destined for really large format applications, where photo quality doesn't matter that much, because the print is usually watched from a long distance. AFAIK GS6000 offers the best possible quality in its class, but I still wouldn't expect it to be comparable with x8xx-x900 series printers. Epson offers special canvas for that type of printer, I'm not sure how it prints on normal papers. If you're not planning to wrap cars and buildings with photos, it's probably not the best choice.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 04:22:00 am by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Ernst Dinkla

Epson GS6000
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 04:25:57 am »

Quote from: Czornyj
Solvent based inks can dissolve PVC, so you can print on vinyl media, but they're more or less toxic and stink. These printers are destined for really large format applications, where photo quality doesn't really matter that much, because the print is usually watched from a long distance. AFAIK GS6000 offers the best possible quality in its class, but I still wouldn't expect it to be comparable with x8xx-x900 series printers. Epson offers special canvas for that type of printer, I'm not sure how it prints on normal papers. If you're not planning to wrap cars and buildings with photos, it's probably not the best choice.

As far as I know it is an Ecosolvent printer that still asks for some media treatment to give good ink bonding. Plain PVC - Vinyl will be a risk. I have heard it described as an Art printer by an Epson salesman who classified the 11880 next to it as a Fine Art printer, whatever that says. For "middle of the road" canvas printing the (Eco)solvent printers have the advantage that no varnish needs to be applied as the ink has a better abrasion resistance right away.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

Doombrain

Epson GS6000
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 10:50:11 am »

Quote from: DougMorgan
Hello all:

I'm looking for some information on the Epson GS6000 solvent printer and wonder if anyone has any direct experience with it for fine-art sort of photographic applications?

it's on the same level as SP9600/10600 depending on the media. The more you pay, the better the print

widest solvent based gamut there is, close to first gen UC printers (9600 etc)

aqueous based (9900 etc)

For canvas is coated media required for a result as good as a water-based inkjet?   Can normal inkjet canvas be used?
yes, only for eco-solvent and only for some canvases. with solvent units it's all about testing the media, most companies will supply a three meter roll to test.

What's the story with a photo paper like premium luster?   or Enhanced matte?
it's OK if profiled, but pointless. there's no point in using an outdoor inkset on indoor media

yes, you manually clean the heads if needed.

What sort of ink savings could I expect on say a square footage basis over the 98xx?
can't answer this question as slovent unit owners don't regard ink usage in the same way water based people do! however use from the PH is the same as any other epson, the cleans are stronger to keep the head clear.

Is there another brand/model I should be looking at as well?   Roland seems to have a few touted for art reproductions but the samples shown look more like home-decor type abstracts rather than detailed photographs.
nothing like the epson on the market.

Thanks in advance!
Doug

DougMorgan

• http://www.bcpanorama.com
Epson GS6000
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 12:44:34 pm »

Thanks all, especially doombrain.

I should clarify that I was looking at this for the same applications as the 10880/9900 with the benefit of no need to coat canvas, lower ink costs, and a much faster print speed -- no interest in vinyl, signage or outdoor durability.

So I would be right in summarizing that the GS6000 would be similar in quality to the older 4000/7600/9600 generation on specially coated canvas but not in the same league on paper media?  

I currently have a 9880 MK &4880 PK and am considering my options for replacement.   I was hoping to have just one printer in the future and can't face feeding epson $$ for the waste on three machines!!!

Thanks
Doug

cengell

Epson GS6000
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 11:41:43 pm »

Hello, before you get a solvent printer you MUST look at a Mimaki JV-33, great price way under $20 and prints are awesome! Uses same ink as Epson GS..

Good luck
Christopher

Doombrain

Epson GS6000
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 07:16:17 am »

Quote from: cengell
Hello, before you get a solvent printer you MUST look at a Mimaki JV-33, great price way under $20 and prints are awesome! Uses same ink as Epson GS..

Good luck
Christopher

no it doesn't use the same ink and the output is nowhere near as fine as the GS6000.

MikeSullivan

Epson GS6000
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 03:27:53 pm »

Hi Doug,

I've been using a GS6000 and testing many different types of canvas and fine art materials. I'm helping to put together an Unofficial Epson GS6000 Wiki at www.EpsonGS6000.com .

Below are my opinions on the printer so far versus the 7900 Proofing Edition and 9900 printer I have.

While looking from a normal viewing distance (at least a foot away) very little noticeable difference. The 9900s resolution is higher, making the prints slightly sharper, but for most applications this would not be noticed. For most art reproduction there is little difference.

Comparable in my experience, although I have not seen any technical comparison of 3D gamut charts, I was planning on making them soon.

Not for color reproduction nessacarily, but it is an industrial printer and designed to be used more heavily compared to the previous Epson printers.

For canvas is coated media required for a result as good as a water-based inkjet? Can normal inkjet canvas be used?

The coating on dedicated solvent materials is different than inkjet ones. However, some inkjet media is compatible with the GS6000 but it can depend on several factors. The solvent canvas never needs to be coated once printed.

What's the story with a photo paper like premium luster? or Enhanced matte?

Photo papers are being developed and samples I have seen are very impressing.

Clogging like the pigment Epson printers is not a problem, but the solvent printers require regular maintance about once a month (it takes 10 minutes and you clean the head with a glorified cotton swab).

The media is significantly cheaper (up to 5x), I will post the exact numbers to the wiki shortly...
Pages: [1]   Go Up