Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wish Canon Did Up Grades  (Read 2141 times)

ARD

• http://
Wish Canon Did Up Grades
« on: September 06, 2009, 04:45:26 pm »

Been thinking that it would be good if Canon did up grades. I have a EOS 1DMKII.

It's a very capable camera, but the pixel count of 8.2 is a bit low compared to more recent models. It's a shame Canon do not offer an up grade.

I imagine it might be a new sensor and a few other parts, but it would be cheaper than having to buy a complete new model.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Wish Canon Did Up Grades
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 06:18:09 pm »

Quote from: ARD
Been thinking that it would be good if Canon did up grades. I have a EOS 1DMKII.

It's a very capable camera, but the pixel count of 8.2 is a bit low compared to more recent models. It's a shame Canon do not offer an up grade.

There have been talks of modular DSLR in the past.

I guess that DSLRs manufacturers are currently worried about their business model. They have created huge expectations since the move to digital with the rapid release of new models and the move to a computer like upgrade culture that helped their profits skyrock.

The problem being that the level of quality achieved by the current entrants is enough for most applications, and people are starting to upgrade less often.

A modular camera would most probably rfurther educe their profits from bodies and I am therefore not sure that they want to go there.

Cheers,
Bernard

michaelnotar

Wish Canon Did Up Grades
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 06:23:17 pm »

perhaps an upgrade path like phase one does for older backs to new ones.

sojournerphoto

Wish Canon Did Up Grades
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 06:30:24 pm »

I imagine it might be a new sensor and a few other parts, but it would be cheaper than having to buy a complete new model.

Which is a part of the reason they haven't yet:)

Digital = new business model and very profitable for a time. Worldwide recession may have some impact on individual's upgade cycles as they pay for the last three bodies...

Paul Sumi

Wish Canon Did Up Grades
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 12:15:16 am »

Been thinking that it would be good if Canon did up grades.

Well, there is an ad hoc upgrade path; it's called buying used gear.  On the Canon side at least people often sell low-usage camera bodies to help finance their pursuit of the latest and greatest.  

That's how I got a 1Ds2 with about 2400 actuations for about half the retail price when the 1Ds3 came out.

It has certain advantages: you don't have to wait for Lightroom, ACR, and 3rd party RAW processors to support your RAW format.  Accessories like custom L brackets are already available.

True, you don't get any bragging rights, but I'd rather put the money saved into lenses anyway.

Paul
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 12:20:12 am by PaulS »

Chris Pollock

Wish Canon Did Up Grades
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 06:58:45 am »

You can always get a good part of your money back by selling your previous camera on eBay.

Upgrading the camera would probably require replacing most of the internals, since the higher resolution sensor would presumably require new electronics to process the increased data load without a decrease in speed. With labour costs it might well be less economical than selling the camera and buying a new one. It would probably also be wasteful, because they'd end up throwing the old parts away most of the time - the demand for spare parts can't be that high.
Pages: [1]   Go Up