Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Why no Leica M9 hype here?  (Read 11934 times)

dng88

Why no Leica M9 hype here?
« on: September 06, 2009, 10:11:19 am »

Understand there is only rumors but the making of it down to a PDF full of details seemed a bit good thing to talk about even if it is rumor.  I do not think S2 has stirred any heat like this.  I know one is burn one is burn but it is something one passion about, I guess one should let it out or just mention it?  In particular the X1 if true is one of the few attempt to have APSC size on a pocketable camera.  (In fact the first as Sigma is Fevon and EP1/G1 etc. is micro 3/4.)

Wonder?

P.S.  I learn all things about rangefinder starting from this site (and later via Reid Review, also introduced by this site).  It is a turning point for Leica it seems (can be all hill down) and hence as now an owner of M8 ultimately can trace to my reading of this site, I find that very strange this site is so silent about it.  May be I miss somthing.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 10:12:47 am by dng88 »

michael

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 10:47:40 am »

Quote from: dng88
Understand there is only rumors but the making of it down to a PDF full of details seemed a bit good thing to talk about even if it is rumor.  I do not think S2 has stirred any heat like this.  I know one is burn one is burn but it is something one passion about, I guess one should let it out or just mention it?  In particular the X1 if true is one of the few attempt to have APSC size on a pocketable camera.  (In fact the first as Sigma is Fevon and EP1/G1 etc. is micro 3/4.)

Wonder?

P.S.  I learn all things about rangefinder starting from this site (and later via Reid Review, also introduced by this site).  It is a turning point for Leica it seems (can be all hill down) and hence as now an owner of M8 ultimately can trace to my reading of this site I find that very strange this site is so silent about it.  May be I miss somthing.

Wait till Wednesday!! There will be a lot more excitement here then.

Michael

cmi

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 10:56:38 am »

There where some wild discussions here about the M9. All sides had their opinion, all assumptions where made. The tech sheet added some numbers, but, so what. Full Frame is no real surprise, and the actual performance will show in the images. So, no conclusions possible until images and hands on experiences.

michael

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 11:45:55 am »

Like I wrote, wait till later this week.  

jackmacd

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 03:16:55 pm »

As reported on the TOP site, the sites that are under non disclosure agreements are rightly sticking with them. Sounds like MR has a camera in his hand?   But I know, I have to wait til 9/90/9, and will.

Graeme Nattress

• http://www.nattress.com
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 04:11:20 pm »

because on Wednesday the new Beatles remasters come out??

sojournerphoto

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 05:01:10 pm »

Quote from: Graeme Nattress
because on Wednesday the new Beatles remasters come out??

Nah, apple are ptiching a new portable music player - much more important than the music:)

Mike

cmi

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 05:58:34 pm »

Quote from: michael
Like I wrote, wait till later this week.  

I meant it as a reply to dng88, without citing his post that was a bit unclear  The pace of discussion should pick up somewhat after the announce.

Christian

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 06:03:25 pm »

There's a brochure available here: Purported M9 Brochure. My virus scanning allowed it to download. Says the camera is 18.2 MP, full-frame with no AA filter. Looking forward to Wednesday - this one should be REAL interesting if the document is genuine - and even if it isn't.................. (fun).
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

dng88

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 08:10:25 pm »

Quote from: MarkDS
There's a brochure available here: Purported M9 Brochure. My virus scanning allowed it to download. Says the camera is 18.2 MP, full-frame with no AA filter. Looking forward to Wednesday - this one should be REAL interesting if the document is genuine - and even if it isn't.................. (fun).

"When you read rumors of something like the M9 on the web and yet the news isn't surfacing on the big sites like Imaging-Resource, The Luminous Landscape, and dpreview.com, you should just be aware than the information you're receiving isn't official and thus isn't fully dependable. So hold on to your skeptic's hat."  

Quoted From Mike of http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/t...blog_index.html

I wait then.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 08:28:15 pm »

Gheez, really? No kiddin'  

chex

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 10:40:53 pm »

There is an M9 microsite that was apparently up an running, and is now password protected. It was linked somewhere here too I believe.

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 03:33:00 am »

Madre de Dios, it's only (if at all) another friggin' camera amongst zillions...

At the end of the day, unless it has Da Vinci coding, it won't do a hot darn thing for your ability.

;-)

Rob C

cmi

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 06:20:05 am »

Quote from: dng88
"When you read rumors of something like the M9 on the web and yet the news isn't surfacing on the big sites like Imaging-Resource, The Luminous Landscape, and dpreview.com...

Now we have the Leica discussion revived

Well it was on dpreview, came from some leica forum. Obviously the now pw protected site was real, but not because it was on dpreview. You can just tell from the screengrabs I put into another thread here. I spare myself the link I think it can be found.

As a sidenote, the argument you cite is no real argument for me because it depends on third opinion and is not about the facts. That is a very common source of errors and confusions not only in the web but in general. People citing other people with a very very limited number of persons to just have a look at the facts. But, thats already OT. Also - very important - I dont direct this sidenote against you personally, I mean it in a general sense.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 08:51:34 am »

Quote from: Rob C
Madre de Dios, it's only (if at all) another friggin' camera amongst zillions...

At the end of the day, unless it has Da Vinci coding, it won't do a hot darn thing for your ability.

;-)

Rob C

Hey Rob - you're being a killjoy - this is FUN after all!  

beamon

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 09:29:36 am »

You pays yer money and takes yer choice.

I find Luminous Landscape particularly well endowed with processing expertise. Other boards will have more gearheads and some purport to be all things to all photo buffs. I subscribe to 5 photo boards and skim them for what is of interest to me and what I find that they do best.

That said, if you're looking for M9 speculation, GetDPI and LUF are chock full of it!
Roger
Leica M6, M8.2 & assorted Leica glass

buckshot

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 10:28:54 am »

Why no hype? Well, I'm sure the cameras will be fantastic, the lenses superb, the quality of the images sublime. However, unless you're willing to remortgage the house and kids, these are fantasy items for most people. Ferraris, if you will, of the photo world. As ever, 50% will be bought by collectors in Japan, Europe and the US, who will put them in a glass case, taking them out once in a while to show other collectors, 48% will be bought by independently wealthy businessmen in their 50s or 60s, and the remaining 2% will be bought by professional photographers. Now, where's that dang lottery ticket...

cmi

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 10:44:44 am »

Quote from: buckshot
Why no hype? Well, I'm sure the cameras will be fantastic, the lenses superb, the quality of the images sublime. However, unless you're willing to remortgage the house and kids, these are fantasy items for most people. Ferraris, if you will, of the photo world. As ever, 50% will be bought by collectors in Japan, Europe and the US, who will put them in a glass case, taking them out once in a while to show other collectors, 48% will be bought by independently wealthy businessmen in their 50s or 60s, and the remaining 2% will be bought by professional photographers. Now, where's that dang lottery ticket...

But it will not have better high ISO than the 5D2 (wich it should have, regarding the price!!!) and therefore it will be declared outlaw by these who eat their carpets in order to faster save money for their next canon  So, nothing new at all.

And for the unlikely case you cannot blame iso, well it misses movie mode liveview autofocus is a rangefinder is too small in your hands has odd design is too expensive and has bad whitebalance. Im sure I missed something.

No, seriously, Im getting really curious

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 12:27:26 pm »

Quote from: MarkDS
Hey Rob - you're being a killjoy - this is FUN after all!  

Hey, Mark!

I'm glad you spelled that out - it was so subliminal I almost missed it!  Guess the killjoy number comes from envy, then...

;-)

Rob C

sojournerphoto

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 04:28:50 pm »

Quote from: Christian Miersch
But it will not have better high ISO than the 5D2 (wich it should have, regarding the price!!!) and therefore it will be declared outlaw by these who eat their carpets in order to faster save money for their next canon  So, nothing new at all.

And for the unlikely case you cannot blame iso, well it misses movie mode liveview autofocus is a rangefinder is too small in your hands has odd design is too expensive and has bad whitebalance. Im sure I missed something.

No, seriously, Im getting really curious

It's fun to see all the reasons that are already being trotted out for why people won't buy one...

It's digital not film
Leica's are all for dillettante poseurs
Leica's are for dentists
High iso isn't good enough
It costs more than a Pana GF-1

If it arrives then I won't buy one until I can pay for it without credit, which will take long enough to find out if it is flawed like the M8 or works. I hope the latter.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up