Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Selecting out of gamut colors  (Read 7811 times)

ericaro

Selecting out of gamut colors
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2009, 09:00:22 am »

MDIJB

The following technique is what I call KIS and still gives you control of the color output. See tip 7.  Works for me:
                       http://www.naturescapes.net/docs/index.php...better-prints#7
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 09:01:58 am by ericaro »

Peter_DL

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2009, 01:11:58 pm »

Quote from: ericaro
The following technique is what I call KIS and still gives you control of the color output. See tip 7.  Works for me:
                       http://www.naturescapes.net/docs/index.php...better-prints#7
Excellent article!
Three smileys:      

Peter

--
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 01:13:05 pm by DPL »

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2009, 07:14:14 pm »

Quote from: Tim Gray
If for some reason of artistic bent, having nothing to do with printing the image (since you have the best practice for that from Mark and Andrew) and you really, really, really do want to create a selection based on the displayed gamut warning here's an option to get at least close....

Make the image as large as possible, still fitting on the monitor.  Turn on gamut warning. Do a screen grab and copy into a new image, crop to extract the image and resize to the original.  Copy the image with the gamut warning back to the original image and set blending mode to difference - any pixels with no change, ie not part of the warning will be black and can be selected to create the mask.  Fuss with the refine edges to deal as much as possible with the artifacts created by the extreme uprezzing, and that will get you close.  Crude, but it looks like it might be a bit closer than Select Range OOG.

I treid you approach and the problem is that the accessory called GRAB that came with my Mac appears to not be color managed.  The colors change alot with the screen grab, and when placed back into Photoshop, they are not the original.  This means that there is alot that shows up when Difference mode is used.  The OOG colors are there and appear accurate, but there is a lot of other stuff that lights up as well.  Good idea though.

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2009, 07:41:48 pm »

Quote from: mdijb
When you hit SHift-command-Y,  out of gamut colors get a gray mask over them.  The profile selected in softproofing determines which colors are out of gamut and which ones will have the gray mask appear over them.  I want to be able to select these specific colors .  IF you try using the Out of gamut colors option with the color range selection method, the colors selected do not match those found with the first method, and are not accurate.

How can I select accurately these out of gamut colors?

MDIJB

For what it's worth, the gamut warning in Photoshop is notoriously inaccurate.

Peter

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2009, 11:33:39 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit
For what it's worth, the gamut warning in Photoshop is notoriously inaccurate.

Peter

Well, I don't know what it's worth because I don't know what this statement is based on. Is there a body of research you can point to which establishes this case unambiguousy? One known problem with gamut warning, in case this is what you mean, is its binary nature. It's either ON or OFF, no matter how little or how much the colours concerned may be OOG.

Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 11:09:07 am »

Quote from: mdijb
I treid you approach and the problem is that the accessory called GRAB that came with my Mac appears to not be color managed.  The colors change alot with the screen grab, and when placed back into Photoshop, they are not the original.  This means that there is alot that shows up when Difference mode is used.  The OOG colors are there and appear accurate, but there is a lot of other stuff that lights up as well.  Good idea though.

MDIJB

You could eliminate that issue by grabbing twice, once with the gamut warning on and once off and use those two images to create the difference mask.

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 10:52:12 pm »

Quote from: Tim Gray
You could eliminate that issue by grabbing twice, once with the gamut warning on and once off and use those two images to create the difference mask.

Thanks, I'll try that nex.

Where do all your ideas come from??  You are good!!
mdiimaging.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up