Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Teton lens choice (Hasselblad)...  (Read 4272 times)

Blueport

Teton lens choice (Hasselblad)...
« on: September 04, 2009, 10:52:47 pm »

Hi, I'm planning a trip to the Teton NP and Yellowstone in late Sept. I have a H3D50 and 35-90 zoom but would like to rent/buy a longer lens for Teton lanscape. I've never been to the Tetons before and would like to ask for some advice on the three hassy lens: 120 macro, 210 f4, and 300 f4.5.   I will also bring my nikon 500 for wildlife and the hassy will only be used for lanscape. Because of the size and weight constrains I can only rent one of the above three lenses. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

vandevanterSH

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 12:23:57 am »

Quote from: Blueport
Hi, I'm planning a trip to the Teton NP and Yellowstone in late Sept. I have a H3D50 and 35-90 zoom but would like to rent/buy a longer lens for Teton lanscape. I've never been to the Tetons before and would like to ask for some advice on the three hassy lens: 120 macro, 210 f4, and 300 f4.5.   I will also bring my nikon 500 for wildlife and the hassy will only be used for lanscape. Because of the size and weight constrains I can only rent one of the above three lenses. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
I'll be going out there about the first week in Oct..  Landscapes will be mostly wide and possibly panos.  I don't have an H but will be shooting several "V" bodies,  film and Digital + Nikon for wildlife.  My MF lenses will be a 38mm, 50mm and a 180mm.  I would say your MF landscape will be covered mostly with the 35-90 and add the 210 as an excuse to buy more glass.  If the fall colors are coming in it will be a fantastic time to be there, but it's good any time of the year.  Hopefully some one with an H system will "chime" in.

Steve.

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 03:18:48 am »

I would consider the 210 and 1.7xTC.  Great combo. The lens alone is great and the 1.7x can give you the extra reach with little or no image degradation.  I had the 300 and while it is a fantastic lens, quite a bit larger and if you have a canon 500mm for wildlife -- not sure that would be needed.  The 120 macro is a great lens. It is big and heavy as well and if you are not going to be doing too much in terms of macro, consider getting some extension  tubes. I used to use the extension tubes with my 80, 100 and 50-110. now that I have the 35-90, have not tried the extension tubes as of yet. M

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 04:38:02 am »

High, steep mountains produce images suitable for wide angle lenses, but generally I hate wide angles and wide angle landscapes, and you can often get a better picture by singling out a feature of the landscape with a longer lens.

My advice would be to go for the 300, as (for landscape) you can fill the 90-300 gap by stitching.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 08:47:08 am »

Here is one from teton, with hd3-50 and 50-110.

I have the 300 but is to long from were I was, I will recommend the 150, because you got the 35-90.

the 150 still to long if I want the shot  here was @ 70  with 50-110

Good Luck

Blas
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 08:50:17 am by BlasR »
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

gdwhalen

• http://www.gdwhalen.com
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 04:47:02 pm »

Quote from: BlasR

I have the 300 but is to long from were I was, I will recommend the 150, because you got the 35-90.

Good Luck

Blas

Without knowing your style and interests I'm not sure how anyone can suggest lenses.   Locations?  Yes.  Lenses?  No.  Having been there myself I am pretty sure that you will be able to utilize whatever you take.  Have fun.

mhecker*

• Contributor
    • http://www.wyofoto.com
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 04:55:06 pm »

See http://wyofoto.com/Teton_Photo_Map.htm  for my Teton photomap.

You will need to convert the 35mm len tips for your Hassy.

Enjoy,
Miles

Blueport

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 05:25:15 pm »

Quote from: mhecker*
See http://wyofoto.com/Teton_Photo_Map.htm  for my Teton photomap.

You will need to convert the 35mm len tips for your Hassy.

Enjoy,
Miles

Thank you very much for the info.. looks like my 35-90 should be ok most of the time..

Blueport

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 05:26:21 pm »

Good Luck

Blas

very nice shot~ where is this place?

Blueport

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 05:28:19 pm »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
High, steep mountains produce images suitable for wide angle lenses, but generally I hate wide angles and wide angle landscapes, and you can often get a better picture by singling out a feature of the landscape with a longer lens.

My advice would be to go for the 300, as (for landscape) you can fill the 90-300 gap by stitching.

My only concern for the 300 is the size and weight... Will I be able to get similar result using 210 and 1.7X?

Blueport

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 05:34:22 pm »

Quote from: MarkKay
I would consider the 210 and 1.7xTC.  Great combo. The lens alone is great and the 1.7x can give you the extra reach with little or no image degradation.  I had the 300 and while it is a fantastic lens, quite a bit larger and if you have a canon 500mm for wildlife -- not sure that would be needed.  The 120 macro is a great lens. It is big and heavy as well and if you are not going to be doing too much in terms of macro, consider getting some extension  tubes. I used to use the extension tubes with my 80, 100 and 50-110. now that I have the 35-90, have not tried the extension tubes as of yet. M

I rented the 210 during my Utah trip earlier and loved that lens... Would a 120 and 1.7x produce similar result as the 210? Since I will only use it for lanscape the loss of max apture is not a issue for me. This way I get a macro lens, as well as a 200mm with the 1.7x...

BlasR

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 08:50:44 am »

Quote from: gdwhalen
Without knowing your style and interests I'm not sure how anyone can suggest lenses.   Locations?  Yes.  Lenses?  No.  Having been there myself I am pretty sure that you will be able to utilize whatever you take.  Have fun.

Ya but if he get the 300 he only can shot the teton from Idaho, will be to long to shot the teton from WY.  As I say the 150 was to long to get the shot.  the 35-90 still ok.

If I was you I will not rent, just take what you have.

The shot was from a mile away from teton hotel

B
BlasR

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 01:37:21 pm »

Good Luck

Blas
Would that shot not have been mind-blowing if you had single-row pan-and-stitched 4 or 6 images with a 300?

BlasR

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 03:24:28 pm »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
Would that shot not have been mind-blowing if you had single-row pan-and-stitched 4 or 6 images with a 300?

No

before you ask why

Because with the 150 I couldn't take it,the lens was to large.

with the hc 300 I need to drive back to Idaho.

then will be much better.

BlasR

btw those photos was 3 shot each one

I have 10 shots vertical @70 with the 50-110   but no ready yet

BlasR

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 06:15:36 am »

with the hc 300 I need to drive back to Idaho.

then will be much better.

BlasR

btw those photos was 3 shot each one

I have 10 shots vertical @70 with the 50-110   but no ready yet
I don't know where Idaho is...

I had assumed your pictures were cropped, and did not realise that it was already single-row pan-and-stitch.

When I get my H3D11-60 i hope to produce some good work with my Epsom 7900, as the 60 allows you to print 24" at 360 original picture per print inch... and, on a view camera, you can shift-and-stitch rectilinear and do it without re-sizing, stretching pixels  etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up