Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "you need to install a printer..."  (Read 7834 times)

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
"you need to install a printer..."
« on: September 04, 2009, 12:47:37 pm »

This just started today.
Getting the error message in photoshop cs4, when I try to print
"Before you can perform printer-related tasks such as page setup or printing a document, you need to install a printer."
No changes were made to the printer setup, but there may have been a windows update last night.

Anyone else suddenly experiencing this problem with vista 64 and epson 3800?

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 06:20:34 pm »

I had this problem a couple times on my Vista64 system just after I installed an Epson 9880, don't know if the printer had anything to do with it.  The problem seemed to be assocaited with a couple specific files only, not every file.  

Did you recently retire and old printer?  One theory is that every problem file had previously been printed on a 7800 which was no longer installed on the system, perhaps some piece of software was mourning it's missing first-true-love printer.

The easy fix was to select a different printer as the default printer in the control panel (say my office printer), then just choose the 9880 from the CS4 print dialogue.  Another fix I got off the net was to open the file in CS3, then save it, that would "fix" a file that persistently couldn't find a printer.  Another fix was to save the file as a .tif, then load & print that.

Fortunately have not a recurrence since I upgraded to  CS4 11.0.1, 64 bit version.

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 08:41:56 pm »

Your right, I tried other files, and they printed fine. The files I was trying to print were jpg's of a friends wedding, taken by someone else.
It baffles me why the printer can't be found when trying to print these files.
My solution was to select the image, copy and paste into a new photoshop file. Then it printed fine.

ChuckT

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 07:32:24 am »

Quote from: soboyle
This just started today.
Getting the error message in photoshop cs4, when I try to print
"Before you can perform printer-related tasks such as page setup or printing a document, you need to install a printer."
No changes were made to the printer setup, but there may have been a windows update last night.

Anyone else suddenly experiencing this problem with vista 64 and epson 3800?

'Saw this recently with PS/CS4 - while installing a new printer.

Here's my solution -
Load the image that you can't print and an image you can, make the dimensions of the "can print", H x W x Resolution, identical to the "can't print".
Flatten the "can print" & copy all from "can't print" to "can print", save it with a new name & delete the "can't print".
Use the new "can print".

cvt
Pages: [1]   Go Up