Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ACR and P45+  (Read 8526 times)

meierruedi@hotmail.com

ACR and P45+
« on: September 04, 2009, 11:14:10 am »

I've got a job coming up and I will shoot it with a P45+ BUT I don't really want to learn yet another programm (Capture One). I normally process all my files with ACR and would love to stick with it.

Does anybody have any experience with this combination? Any hints?

Many thanks!

Panopeeper

ACR and P45+
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 11:58:16 am »

Caution with ACR; it performs an "exposure" adjustsment without asking you, even without displaying it, except with ISO 200:

ISO 100: -1 EV
ISO 400: +1 EV
ISO 800: +2 EV

If you see a huge overexposure in ACR and reshoot it with reduced exposure, you may seriously underexpose the shot. You have to counter-adjust the "exposure" in ACR before any further adjustments.
Gabor

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
ACR and P45+
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 05:39:46 pm »

Quote from: meierruedi
I've got a job coming up and I will shoot it with a P45+ BUT I don't really want to learn yet another programm (Capture One). I normally process all my files with ACR and would love to stick with it.

Does anybody have any experience with this combination? Any hints?

Many thanks!

ACR handles p45+ files pretty well. That's about all I've ever used with my p45+.  You shouldn't have much trouble.  They may require a little more tweaking at first than other camera files, but end results should be great.

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
ACR and P45+
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 06:48:21 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
ACR handles p45+ files pretty well. That's about all I've ever used with my p45+.  You shouldn't have much trouble.  They may require a little more tweaking at first than other camera files, but end results should be great.
Same here, no problems, but they look pretty ordinary on default. They'll need extra sat. and vibrance to look half decent but you'll get there.
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica

meierruedi@hotmail.com

ACR and P45+
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 01:55:58 pm »

I did a few testshots with ISO 400 and 800 and it seems difficult to expose right (to the right):

The display and the histogramm shows huge parts as overexposed but there is no problem to get the them back either in ACR or CaputureOne.

So how do I expose correctly? I would love to ETTR (noise) as much as possible.

Would the exposure showing only the highlights blown be the correct one, that would be an easy task, but having all the midtones flashing red on the screen as well is not very comforting, especially on moving subjects where bracketing is not an option.

Any cures?

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
ACR and P45+
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 04:36:20 pm »

I used to use ACR when I was shooting with a P30+ and later with the P45+ until I began using a technical camera.  Now any image shot with the Cambo WRS1000/P45+ gets open first in C1.

Don

Panopeeper

ACR and P45+
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 04:47:03 pm »

Apparently you did not understand my post #2. Can you upload an ISO 400 and an ISO 800 sample raw file (native raw or DNG)?
Gabor

meierruedi@hotmail.com

ACR and P45+
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 08:15:18 am »

Hi Gabor
I exposed a ColorChart at the different ISO speeds ( changing the exposure accordingly) and they all look and measure the same in ACR....so I somehow really don't understand your post correctly.

Could you give it another try?

Thanks

P.S.: Can't upload the raws, I'm on the road....

Panopeeper

ACR and P45+
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 01:05:04 pm »

Quote from: meierruedi
P.S.: Can't upload the raws, I'm on the road....
It's difficult to make a diagnosis w/o the raw files. The point is, that ACR is making automatic "exposure" adjustments depending on the ISO, w/o showing that on the "exposure" slider; this can fake overexposure, or hide underexposure  with ISO 400 and 800, or the opposite with ISO 100.

There are two ways to determine in ACR if there was real overexposure:

1. reduce the "exposure" a lot. The right edge of the histogram moves to the left. If the right edge shows a sharp, abrupt end, that is raw clipping.

2. Try to pick WB from the very brightest spots (no matter what color it has). If you can, that spot is not raw clipped. If you pick and there is no change, click once more on the very same spot; the message tells you, that that spot is not suitable, i.e. clipped. Note, that this has nothing to do with the red clipping indication: you can increase the "exposure" and cause clipping indication by ACR, but that is not raw clipping and you still can pick WB on such points. The opposite way: you can eliminate the clipping indication (the red) in ACR by reducing the "exposure", but that does not eliminate the raw clipping.

Gabor

hilljf

• http://photos.johnfhill.com
ACR and P45+
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 08:12:18 pm »

Camera Raw does a good job with the P45+ files, but I have found as others have metioned that it initially renders the file about a stop darker than how I took the shot.  A lot of my work is done tethered with Capture One.   If I dial the shot in exactly the way I want it in Capture One at ISO 50 or 100 and then open the raw file in Camera Raw. Camera Raw will make it too dark, even though it was perfectly exposed.

Knowing this makes it easy to adjust.   By now this note is late.  How did the shoot go?

meierruedi@hotmail.com

ACR and P45+
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 02:14:39 pm »

The shoot went very well indeed!

I processed all the shots with ACR, applying the custom profile I did beforehand.

Thanks for all the input!
Pages: [1]   Go Up