Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: External disk size for LR library?  (Read 3554 times)

delytphoto

External disk size for LR library?
« on: September 03, 2009, 06:36:43 pm »

Hello --

I want to choose an external drive to house all my original image files AND all LR system files.
What is a good rule of thumb for selecting the drive size (e.g., #images/GB)?  

Thanks!

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 07:47:05 pm »

Quote from: delytphoto
Hello --

I want to choose an external drive to house all my original image files AND all LR system files.

Thanks!

As big as possible, and with HDs so cheap there's little reason not to get the biggest available.

Peter

Freezframe

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 11:19:53 pm »

Hello --

Thanks!

I agree go  big but reasonably big !!Do you shoot in RAW? how many Pictures per week/Year? What I do on import is bring photos(RAW-150-weekly) into my pictures in a folder called my adobe Pic's so whether I import from CS4 or LR I use this folder and backup on a "terabyte" external drive with the same configuration....Now when my main or C drive is getting a little stuffed I  transfer on to DVD media of course using the same configuration and marking disk as so......

I know I answer more than you ask for but, a terabyte seemed reasonable for me when my "C" is a a 160 gig which fills a lot quicker than the terabyte will at 150-RAW pic's aweek...It works for my workflow so far...I will address what I will use for backup when the external drive gets full later......

So Go Big, but within reason :Brady      

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 11:06:39 am »

Quote from: Freezframe
I agree go  big but reasonably big !!Do you shoot in RAW? how many Pictures per week/Year? What I do on import is bring photos(RAW-150-weekly) into my pictures in a folder called my adobe Pic's so whether I import from CS4 or LR I use this folder and backup on a "terabyte" external drive with the same configuration....Now when my main or C drive is getting a little stuffed I  transfer on to DVD media of course using the same configuration and marking disk as so......

I know I answer more than you ask for but, a terabyte seemed reasonable for me when my "C" is a a 160 gig which fills a lot quicker than the terabyte will at 150-RAW pic's aweek...It works for my workflow so far...I will address what I will use for backup when the external drive gets full later......

So Go Big, but within reason :Brady    

As of now, I have about 24,000 images in my working Lightroom catalog. The overwhelming majority are from DSLRs in the 8 to 12 Mp range. That all fits comfortably on a small Seagate 500G FreeAgent Go drive I got at Walmart for like $129. I access that drive in Lightroom on four different computers, some PC, some Mac.

It took me a while to figure out how to set it up, but it works seamlessly on every computer now. I open Lightroom on each one and get exactly the same working environment. Very slick.

delytphoto

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 11:30:45 pm »

Thank you everyone for your thoughts.  I was thinking of a 500GB drive to dedicate to LR work, and from Misirlou's post, it's clear that for my needs that's plenty -- I have a mere 5000 or so images, am just beginning to shoot in RAW, and will be more likely to add 150 images in 2+ months rather than in a week.  I certainly will back up the drive to a larger external, probably a terabyte.

Misirlou, I'd appreciate any tips about setting up the system so your one drive can be used identically on several computers (I'll only use two rather than your four).

Thanks again!
David

Misirlou

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 02:24:58 am »

Thank you everyone for your thoughts.  I was thinking of a 500GB drive to dedicate to LR work, and from Misirlou's post, it's clear that for my needs that's plenty -- I have a mere 5000 or so images, am just beginning to shoot in RAW, and will be more likely to add 150 images in 2+ months rather than in a week.  I certainly will back up the drive to a larger external, probably a terabyte.

Misirlou, I'd appreciate any tips about setting up the system so your one drive can be used identically on several computers (I'll only use two rather than your four).

Thanks again!
David

The short answer is to go download Seth Resnick and MR's "Where The &*%$ are My Pictures?" video series, and watch it the whole way through about 5 times. That's what I did.

You'll need to copy the specific Lightroom configuration files for all of the things you need to do, to each computer where you do them. For example, I established several develop presets for each of the cameras I use. I stored those on my external drive once I thought they were mature, and copied them to the appropriate location for each of the working computers. These file locations differ rather dramatically by operating system manufacturer and version, but they're easy to find with search tools. For example, search for a folder called "Develop Presets" and you should be able to figure out exactly where all your Lightroom presets are stored on each computer. If you edit one of these configuration files, just make sure you copy it to any other computer where you plan to use it again. For example, I only do imports from flash cards on two of my computers, so those two are the only ones where I bother copying those particular configuration files.

My main working Lightroom catalog is stored on that external drive. Seth Resnick suggests leaving the catalog with whatever name Lightroom creates by default. I changed mine to my own copyright name so that I could see exactly where it was at all times. I keep all of that catalog's images on that same drive too, more or less by the directory structure Seth recommends in the videos.

Now every computer will have its own program behaviour preferences for Lightroom (totally independent of the configuration files for things like copyright presets, develop presets, etc.). One of those program preferences is automated catalog backups. By default, Lightroom wants to back up the catalog once a week on opening. I just let it do that on each computer when asked, so there are mutliple backups of my catalog all over the place. I also have one of my PCs set to automatically backup that entire external drive once a week (the PC where I leave the drive connected on most weekends). So the images themselves get backed up frequently too.

Once you open that catalog on a computer, and subsequently close Lightroom while working in that catalog, Lightroom will try to open that same catalog the next time you start it. So you only have to point Lightroom to your external drive one time on each computer.

You'll have to decide whether to keep all your metadata just in the Lightroom catalog, or stored in individual XMP sidecar files for each image. There's a good discussion of that in the videos. Personally, I can understand arguments on both sides. I decided to go with the sidecars because I hit the same images with several different programs that can all interpret the sidecar files. If I only used Lightroom and Photoshop, I might not do that. If you decide not to use sidecars, you'll have to be very careful about backing up your catalog, because that's where everything you do in Lightroom will get saved. Again, the discussion in the videos is very clear.

I'm probably forgetting something important. If I remember anything else, I'll add it here.

delytphoto

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 09:08:44 pm »

Thank you Misirlou!  I'll get the video series.  Your description is clear and I feel optimistic that I'll be able to create a system that works for me!

D.

Greg D

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 03:02:48 pm »

Quote from: Misirlou
As of now, I have about 24,000 images in my working Lightroom catalog. The overwhelming majority are from DSLRs in the 8 to 12 Mp range. That all fits comfortably on a small Seagate 500G FreeAgent Go drive I got at Walmart for like $129. I access that drive in Lightroom on four different computers, some PC, some Mac.

It took me a while to figure out how to set it up, but it works seamlessly on every computer now. I open Lightroom on each one and get exactly the same working environment. Very slick.

Question about working from an external drive:  I assume the Seagate drive you mentioned is USB.  Is is noticeably slower working from that drive than from the computers hard drive?

Misirlou

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 04:16:35 pm »

Quote from: grog13
Question about working from an external drive:  I assume the Seagate drive you mentioned is USB.  Is is noticeably slower working from that drive than from the computers hard drive?

Not really. I suppose it's probably slower to transfer pics from cards to a USB drive than it to just transfer them to an internal drive, but that isn't much of a consideration for me. When shuffling through the images, you're often working with a smaller preview image than the original full image anyway. I set my imports to always generate 100% previews (for reasons explained in the videos), which does take some time initially. After that, it's smooth sailing.

You can control whether or not Lightroom writes every little change to the sidecar files each time you make one. That might be slower on a USB drive too. I just wait until I'm finished on a whole set of files before updating my metadata for all of them once from the menu structure, so I turned that auto update function off. I've read that leaving it on can be quite frustrating.

In any case, Lightroom isn't really all that disk dependent, at least given the way I use it. Having access to those same pics from multiple locations more than makes up for any performance disadvantage for me. Now, If I regularly processed images stitched from 10 frames off a 1Ds III, I expect things would be different.
Pages: [1]   Go Up