Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flying Alitalia ... advice on carry on challenges  (Read 14477 times)

Mark F

Flying Alitalia ... advice on carry on challenges
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 08:58:41 pm »

Air Iceland has a similar rule that had me very worried a few months back as my photo pack was way heavier than 13 lbs. So my plan was to go the photo vest route if challenged, but also wearing a light shell rain jacket over the vest.  As it turned out, no one paid any attention to anyone's carry-on, there or back. Good luck and have a great trip.
Mark

francois

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 05:05:17 am »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
I assume a train ride would also have been a good option ... regretting I didn't check into that before I bought my ticket.
Wayne,
Yes, a train ride would have been fine. Renting a car would be better as driving from Rome to Florence goes throught Tuscan beautiful landscapes (unless you stay on the highway). The issue with a car in Florence, beside Italians drivers, is to find a parking lot.

Have fun and don't worry too much.
Francois

rljones

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2009, 12:00:43 am »

Wayne,

When I travel and need to cut weight, I leave the 13" MBP at home and use a Acer Netbook (Linux). It works very well for Internet/email, and as a connection between portable HD for backing up images via USB 2. These weigh about 2 lbs, so you will save about 3 lbs with this switch.

I also put movies on it and use it via the plug-in adapter for in air entertainment. (either that or the iPod for music or smaller screen video.)

There are frequently limits on backing "un-attached" lithium batteries in your check-in luggage too. I've found 2 batteries for the 5D2 to be more than sufficient for travel.

When I've also had to go light, I too have left the macro at home and used a 12/25 mm extension tube with the 70-200/4 IS zoom.

Finally, I've recently "designed" my own hiking backpack for my P65/5D2 equipment (with custom installed zippers, handle and inserts) that weighs in at 3.5 lb---and has an internal frame. It is very comfy with a 30 lb load, and has space for cell phone, water bottles and stuffing jackets, etc. I based it on the Osprey Atmos 35 backpack.

Regards, Robert

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2009, 10:03:37 pm »

Since I started this thread I thought I would mention the actual experience.

Despite the extremely restrictive policies on Alitalia's web site, in my experience they were not enforced.  the four legs of my travel on Alitalia were all on larger jets with plenty of overhead space.  Many passengers had roller bags, and many had a second smaller bag as well, despite the restriction of 1 carry on.  From what I could see anything that would have passed on a normal Delta flight would have been fine.

I assume some of their planes are smaller and have limited overhead, so it could be some flights this could still be an issue.  The experience on their airline was pleasant and professional.  

On a personal note, my first trip to europe was terrific.  I found Florence and Tuscany very interesting, delightful, beautiful, and the people wonderful.  I look forward to returning.

francois

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2009, 10:27:02 pm »

Since I started this thread I thought I would mention the actual experience.

Despite the extremely restrictive policies on Alitalia's web site, in my experience they were not enforced.  the four legs of my travel on Alitalia were all on larger jets with plenty of overhead space.  Many passengers had roller bags, and many had a second smaller bag as well, despite the restriction of 1 carry on.  From what I could see anything that would have passed on a normal Delta flight would have been fine.

I assume some of their planes are smaller and have limited overhead, so it could be some flights this could still be an issue.  The experience on their airline was pleasant and professional.  

On a personal note, my first trip to europe was terrific.  I found Florence and Tuscany very interesting, delightful, beautiful, and the people wonderful.  I look forward to returning.
Glad to learn that you enjoyed your trip to Europe. It's hard not like like Florence and Tuscany.
You're right, the airline policies are rarely enforced but once in a while they are.
Francois

stevesanacore

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 07:03:30 am »

Thats been a concern as well.  I've decided  to eliminate the p65 system, and going only with my 5DMk2 and 4 lenses, and I may drop the 100mm macro out as well since a couple of others i am meeting up with will let me borrow theirs if I have a need.

I've got my carry on down to a single backpack with 13"mbp and the camera gear, around 15lbs right now but the size works.  My guess is it will end up around 18lbs total once I add a few other items.

Sounds like many European airlines have very restrictive policies.  Would be nice if they would recognize the value and care needed for high end photography gear as much as they do musical instruments.

That brings to mind another question ... if I "gate" check in Europe does that work as well as it does in the states?  I have to do this frequently with delta since many flights out of Salt Lake are on regional jets and the camera case won't fit.  Never had a problem, camera is always waiting for me.   The short hop from Rome to Florence might require "gate" checking because of limited overhead.  How risky of a proposition is that?

I travel quite a bit and two things I try and do are, never traveling alone is one way to increase your carry on capacity, and drive as much as possible to limit short flights. But one bag at 11lbs, that's nuts.
We don't know what we don't know.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up