Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Help - Modern Version of 8x10 Deardorff  (Read 6860 times)

Bruce MacNeil

Some Help - Modern Version of 8x10 Deardorff
« on: September 02, 2009, 07:37:28 pm »

Hi -

What is the modern equivalent of the 8x10 view camera? Mine was stolen a while back and I have been searching for the magic ever since.

B
Bruce MacNeil PhD; M. Div.; M.Fol.

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 07:53:05 pm »

Look here.

Bruce MacNeil

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 08:08:35 pm »

Thanks - I assume you are saying that it does not exist - which is what I suspect.

Quote from: sergio
Look here.

mattlap2

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 08:24:25 pm »

Bruce,

8x10 Deardorff's do appear occasionally on the used market.  The big issue is condition.   Since the cameras were made over such a vast length of time, many are completely beat.   I have seen them range in price from about $800 to as high as $4500.

I would also consider looking at a used Wisner camera, which is also no longer made.   Or consider a camera from K.B. Canham.   I think both cameras are superior in build quality than any of the Deardorffs ever were.

You could also try calling Ken Hough at (219) 462-0281 or email him at k4sb@verizon.net.  Put Deardorff in the subject line.   Ken has been the premier Deardorff repair person for many years and was trained at the Deardorff factory in Chicago.    He was a part of DPPI (the last incarnation of Deardorff) with Jack Deardorff until they had a falling out.    Jack has now passed away, so Ken is your best bet.

Bruce MacNeil

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 09:05:34 pm »

Quote from: mattlap2
Bruce,

8x10 Deardorff's do appear occasionally on the used market.  The big issue is condition.   Since the cameras were made over such a vast length of time, many are completely beat.   I have seen them range in price from about $800 to as high as $4500.

I would also consider looking at a used Wisner camera, which is also no longer made.   Or consider a camera from K.B. Canham.   I think both cameras are superior in build quality than any of the Deardorffs ever were.

You could also try calling Ken Hough at (219) 462-0281 or email him at k4sb@verizon.net.  Put Deardorff in the subject line.   Ken has been the premier Deardorff repair person for many years and was trained at the Deardorff factory in Chicago.    He was a part of DPPI (the last incarnation of Deardorff) with Jack Deardorff until they had a falling out.    Jack has now passed away, so Ken is your best bet.

Thanks - I have been more or less thinking of the modern digital version - maybe an Arca Swiss with a back or something.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 06:25:53 am »

Quote from: Bruce MacNeil
Thanks - I have been more or less thinking of the modern digital version - maybe an Arca Swiss with a back or something.
That, presumably, is why you posted in this forum.

A recent poll here [a href=\'index.php?showtopic=37015\']Still life Guys: Praise your view camera[/a] revels that the Sinar is the most popular view camera, and it seems to me that it is the most versatile, with a full range of movements.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

ThierryH

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 06:38:41 am »

Dick,

I can only agree with your statement, that the Sinar camera is the most versatile view camera but admitted, I am "born with it".

I would certainly ask the OP what kind of work he wishes to do with his view camera, before deciding on any brand or model.

Best regards,
Thierry

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
That, presumably, is why you posted in this forum.

A recent poll here [a href=\'index.php?showtopic=37015\']Still life Guys: Praise your view camera[/a] revels that the Sinar is the most popular view camera, and it seems to me that it is the most versatile, with a full range of movements.

archivue

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 07:25:14 am »

sinar ? have you tried the Arca M line TWO ?

super wide angle friendly, more precise than a P2 and weight a lot less... evolution !

ThierryH

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 07:44:39 am »

FYI: the Sinar p2 is a studio camera (analog), as well as the p3.

That is exactly the reason why I have asked the OP to clarify the use he wants to do of his view camera: there are other solutions at Sinar, not only the p2, and as precise and light as the Arca.

Best regards,
Thierry

Quote from: archivue

super wide angle friendly, more precise than a P2 and weight a lot less... evolution !

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 09:37:30 am »

Quote from: archivue

If light weight rather than precise movements are the requirement, then the Sinar F3 is ideal, an it is lensboard compatible with the P3, so you can use both with the same set of lenses/lensboards.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Bruce MacNeil

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 02:09:27 pm »

I generally take pictures of people - this is what I used the Deardorff for. After its demise I tried the Canon dSLR's with little real pleasure.

Geoffrey

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 03:44:08 pm »

Ebony? Not as mechanical as the metal view cameras, but certainly nice to use. Well thought through.

narikin

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 04:52:25 pm »

you still haven't made clear of you are studio or location based. I suspect the later, because of Deardorff, but might be wrong.

If the latter, there are numerous options for 8x10 folding field type cameras out there - like Toyo (new) Kodak (old) Wisner, Ebony, Canham, etc, etc.
but... you seem to be asking for a digital equivalent to that, and it doesn't really exist if you are doing portraiture.

for 8x10 landscape, a lot of (famous) 8x10 photographers have switched over to stitching backs on digital MF - Cambo or Alpa or whomever.
for portraits stitching is not a good answer, so... you need to use a single shot digital view camera - like the mini sinars, linhofs, etc that are out there.

problem is that you have got to know and love that long lens look on 8x10" and that big screen to compose on, and now you'll be working with a tiny 6x4.5cm screen and much shorter lenses, so you simply wont get the same effect. no way around this really.

to be honest in such situations you can get some imitation of 8x10 imagery but never the same. I'm not talking about sharpness/color quality, you can get that, but... about focus, focal length, work techniques, camera dynamics, etc. In my opinion its best to embrace the new qualities of the camera you can have, rather than trying to make it imitate something it isn't.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 07:15:34 pm »

Quote from: narikin
you still haven't made clear of you are studio or location based. I suspect the later, because of Deardorff, but might be wrong.

If the latter, there are numerous options for 8x10 folding field type cameras out there - like Toyo (new) Kodak (old) Wisner, Ebony, Canham, etc, etc.
but... you seem to be asking for a digital equivalent to that, and it doesn't really exist if you are doing portraiture.

for 8x10 landscape, a lot of (famous) 8x10 photographers have switched over to stitching backs on digital MF - Cambo or Alpa or whomever.
for portraits stitching is not a good answer, so... you need to use a single shot digital view camera - like the mini sinars, linhofs, etc that are out there.

problem is that you have got to know and love that long lens look on 8x10" and that big screen to compose on, and now you'll be working with a tiny 6x4.5cm screen and much shorter lenses, so you simply wont get the same effect. no way around this really.

to be honest in such situations you can get some imitation of 8x10 imagery but never the same. I'm not talking about sharpness/color quality, you can get that, but... about focus, focal length, work techniques, camera dynamics, etc. In my opinion its best to embrace the new qualities of the camera you can have, rather than trying to make it imitate something it isn't.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up