Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It's Nice to Deal With Pros  (Read 4147 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
It's Nice to Deal With Pros
« on: September 02, 2009, 05:30:34 pm »

Thanks for sharing this!  We too often hear only the horror stories.  I still remember, a number of years ago my mother had the local Sears appliance person out to check the fridge, stove, etc. and after he left she was so impressed she phoned their customer service number.  When the woman answered the phone my mother explained that there had been a person out to check all of the appliances, and he was so helpful, friendly and knowledgeable that she was really impressed.  This was followed by almost 10 seconds of silence; the woman probably had to pick herself up off the floor.

There's simply no excuse for bad service, and companies that understand this will definitely prosper.

Mike.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 05:33:32 pm by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t

cmi

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 03:29:28 am »

Yes, good attitude, telling this story.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 08:12:16 am »

"...to the degree that they had a weekly conference call among all service personnel and this subject was discussed so others can be advised of this hot topic."

One of the things I'm in charge of at my real job is our corporate technical service department.  We have a very similar weekly meeting.  Representatives from sales, manufacturing and engineering join in to hear and review any field issues that occurred during the week.  I believe a meeting like this is one of the most valuable activities we do as a business; excellent feedback loop.

Cheers to Epson.

Dave

Tklimek

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 12:25:31 pm »

I'm also in the service industry (in the information technology field) and CUSTOMER SERVICE is paramont.  Way to go Epson!  

Something very key here was "made me feel like I was their top priority"; this is something that is sometimes hard to pull off; and when customers get such good service like this, they become LOYAL customers which in many cases creates REPEAT customers.

Thanks for posting this story!

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 08:38:45 pm »

With my Epson 9600 and 9800 printers I required at least half a dozen service calls, from week one to the end of their life and in each case, my experience was essentially the same, with only minor exceptions when a couple of times I got hold of Epson techs who seemed to be going by the book on our telephone calls, rather than being interested in helping solve a problem. But those were pretty minor irritants.

Without exception, the Decision One people were courteous, prompt and knowledgeable.

And in the one year I've been printing on my Canon 8100 I've had excellent telephone tech support, usually from some guy who sounded like he'd been sitting around bored with nothing to do until I called. My call made his day and he actually got to help someone!

The only time I need a repair guy, he came as promptly as Epson's (it's not Decision One) and did as good a job.

You can't beat the pros...

Quote from: wolfnowl
Thanks for sharing this!  We too often hear only the horror stories.  I still remember, a number of years ago my mother had the local Sears appliance person out to check the fridge, stove, etc. and after he left she was so impressed she phoned their customer service number.  When the woman answered the phone my mother explained that there had been a person out to check all of the appliances, and he was so helpful, friendly and knowledgeable that she was really impressed.  This was followed by almost 10 seconds of silence; the woman probably had to pick herself up off the floor.

There's simply no excuse for bad service, and companies that understand this will definitely prosper.

Mike.
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 11:21:49 pm »

It would probably be useful to add that I have also had excellent service from Epson on other of their pro printers which are MUCH less expensive than the 9900; hence their approach to good service is not only reserved for the top-end products. This is one product line in which I have no fear up-grading soon after release, because they really do stand behind what they sell.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

John Hollenberg

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 06:50:53 pm »

There is one part of the article which gives me pause:

"It seems this bubble issue was a major problem with the 11880 prior model, Epson redesigned things in the 9900 to avoid this, there must be a lot of hair pulling back at Epson Engineering over this."

This appears to imply that there is a design problem which causes this to be a frequent issue.  While the service sounds great, a known design defect wouldn't make me eager to buy a 9900.

--John

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 07:31:10 pm »

Quote from: John Hollenberg
There is one part of the article which gives me pause:

"It seems this bubble issue was a major problem with the 11880 prior model, Epson redesigned things in the 9900 to avoid this, there must be a lot of hair pulling back at Epson Engineering over this."

This appears to imply that there is a design problem which causes this to be a frequent issue.  While the service sounds great, a known design defect wouldn't make me eager to buy a 9900.

--John

John, It's intriguing that this happened with three Green ink cartridges - and that in itself could be a clue about the specific nature of the problem. As well, one hasn't heard a ground-swell of discontent from Epson 7900/990 owners about having to "burp" every cartridge they change - if indeed that were needed, the whole world would know about it. So perhaps there is no generic issue here, and by this day and age with Epson professional printers one would not expect there to be. Sometimes in a manufacturing process, as I trust you well know, a defective batch of consummables can leave the factory. A nuissance but no big deal and not the focus of this story, which was about how the company supported the client and the product. I agree that support is not a substitute for functionality, but when something goes wrong it's sure nice to have it, and that is becoming more and more scarce with many outfits in both hardware and software. To me, this is a good story without reservation.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Peter McLennan

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 12:10:43 am »

Quote from: MarkDS
To me, this is a good story without reservation.

Agreed.  Too often, forums are filled with complaints, issues and bad news.  This post was a breath of fresh air.  Thanks for sharing it.

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 06:32:39 am »

A fine, misleading rubric if ever there was one; had me all aquiver with excitement wondering what secret, inner knowledge I was about to discover...

Shame on you for building up such anticipation!

;->

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up