Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter  (Read 1948 times)

Timo Löfgren

Winter
« on: September 02, 2009, 07:42:13 am »

cmi

Winter
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 02:21:43 pm »

I like the scenery and the view very much, the way everything is covered with snow is just beautiful. But somehow it is hard to discern the various details in the foreground because of the particular lightning conditions. Maybe some subtle local contrast enhancements could improve that? I dont know, might be worth to try out. But I like it even with this flaw.

Christian
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 02:22:55 pm by Christian Miersch »

Jeremy Payne

Winter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 03:34:44 pm »

Quote from: Timo Löfgren
I really like most of the work you have posted ... but not this one.

The bright patches of snow in the background pulled my eye right past all the foreground ... which itself is a bit flat.

For it to work better, IMO, I think the tree in the foreground needs more contrast and 'pop'.

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
Winter
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 04:00:04 pm »

Please don't tell us you took this photo yesterday.  

My first impression was that I liked the photo.  

Upon further reflection I am not so sure anymore.  It looks somewhat unreal/surrealstic to me somehow, like one of those kids pop up books where they do the 3D effect with 2D pop-ups - e.g., the snow covered grasses in the foreground are the first layer, then the tree is behind that is a second pop-upo, then the boulders, then the other trees and finally the sky.

It is compelling to say the least and I have come back to it a few times trying to make sense of it for myself.  And perhaps that is a measure of success as I have not just moved on after saying to myself nice shot or not so nice shot.

Andrew
[size=12p

ScottWylie

• http://www.scottwylie.co.uk
Winter
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 05:28:44 am »

I like the foreground being in shadow because it draws the eye to the intricate detail of the branches and the contrast between the dark wood and the white snow - there is so much detail in there. I think the darker foreground works for a second reason as well - the blades of grass would clutter the composition if they were noticeable, as it is they add texture without being distracting.

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
Winter
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 11:29:31 am »

I'm feeling kind of the same way Andrew is on this one.  Initially I really liked this one.  There are elements of this shot that prompt feelings of nostalgia going back to my upbringing in Minnesota, but upon further reflection, the plethora of branches at the top gave me a feeling of clutter, and it just seems to be too "busy" in that area.  I would also like to see a lighter foreground.  I like the mood, but it's just not working for me as-is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up