Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Premiere Elements Low Memory Message  (Read 5361 times)

CynthiaM

• http://www.cynthiamerzerphotography.com/
Premiere Elements Low Memory Message
« on: September 01, 2009, 04:17:29 pm »

Just started to fool with some video editing using Premiere Elements 7 and I keep getting a message that Adobe Premiere Elements is running low on system memory.  It advises to save and proceed with caution.  This is usually followed by the program crashing.  I am using this on a Dell Studio XPS 435T with 6 gb of ram and an ATI Radeon HD 4870 GDDR5 1024 mb video card.  The video is coming from a flip ultra hd camera.  The video clips download from the flip onto the computer in .mp4 format and then I bring them into Premiere elements.  This is my first "project."  There are about 20 clips and the total playing time is about 4 and a half minutes.

I'm ready to tear my hair out because it keeps crashing.  I try to avoid multitasking and if anything else is open, it may be a website with a video tutorial so I can go back and forth.  Interestingly, I have a test project which is only a few clips so I can fool with effects and transitions and use this project when I multitask with tutorials and this smaller project is much more stable.

I tried calling Adobe support but that was like an exercise in futility.

My knowledge of video editing is minimal.  Any recommended tricks that may promote stability would be appreciated as well as any suggestions as to how to get this program to function more smoothly.

Also, I use Photoshop and on my computer I have set up 2 scratch disks.  There are 3 internal hard drives on the system.  The c drive has all programs, including photoshop and PREL.  All images are on a different drive.  Right now the video is on the same drive as the premier elements program.  Would the program function better if the video were on a separate drive?  The scratch disks are dedicated partitions on the two other internal drives, both are the first partition on each of those drives.  I am using one of these scratch disks for PREL.  Is this a problem if Photoshop is not opened when I'm using Premiere elements?  Can they share the same scratch disk?  Right now, each of the different items in the scratch disk setup is pointing to one of these partitions; should each item (captured video, captured audio, etc) be pointing to a folder on the scratch disk?  I see that there are folders and files that PREL has dumped onto the scratch disk.  Should these be deleted each time I close the program?  Should I use both of these partitions and if so, does it matter what I assign to which partition?

Any help in getting this program to run without crashing every 10 minutes would be appreciated.
Cynthia Merzer
[url=http://www.cynthiame
Pages: [1]   Go Up