Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 7D  (Read 23611 times)

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
Canon 7D
« on: August 31, 2009, 11:08:51 pm »

The new 7D should be appearing on the various websites around the world as I write this. The NDAs expired at 1pm here so I guess the info will pop up all over the web very soon.

18Mp
APS-C Sensor
HD Video
8 FPS
Digic 4

Don't know price but I'd guess it will be sub AUD3000, maybe a lot sub...

Looks nice, not as huge a release as the 5D2 but an interesting development. If you work out the pixel density it's the equivalent of a 47Mp full framer (1Ds Mk4?). What this means for diffraction limits remains to be seen but the DIGIC 4 processor might offer new low light capabilities.

When I get my hands on one I'll find out I guess!
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
Canon 7D
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 11:23:30 pm »

The 15mp of the 50D didn't seem to offer any real advantage over the 12mp cameras, I just don't see the point in an 18mp APS-C camera unless you're going to remove the AA filter.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Canon 7D
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 11:51:15 pm »

specs are starting to appear all of the net now
Detailed 7D specs.

Cant say it does much for me... I will wait for the 1DSMK4 before I let go of the 1DSMK3.

I do like the idea of a built in digital level however - wonder if its got a MLU button?

Now on DP Review as well Canon 7D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:02:42 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

DarkPenguin

Canon 7D
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 12:56:58 am »

I think live view is the closest you're going to get to a MLU on a canon.

The 15mp of the 50D was at worse no better than the 10mp of the 40D and at best (base iso, good glass) provided almost exactly the level of extra resolution you would expect from the extra megapixels.  I would expect the same from this camera.

Looks like quite the camera.

They also came out with a 15-85 lens.  Finally they give a 24-yada equivalent for APS-C.  I hope it is better at 15mm than its predecessor (the 17-85) was at 17mm.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Canon 7D
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 01:19:55 am »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
I think live view is the closest you're going to get to a MLU on a canon.

The 15mp of the 50D was at worse no better than the 10mp of the 40D and at best (base iso, good glass) provided almost exactly the level of extra resolution you would expect from the extra megapixels.  I would expect the same from this camera.

Looks like quite the camera.

They also came out with a 15-85 lens.  Finally they give a 24-yada equivalent for APS-C.  I hope it is better at 15mm than its predecessor (the 17-85) was at 17mm.

As far as I understand it has or better you can program the MLU button to one. So finally there would be a real MLU button. However I could be wrong.

I think it shows us a lot what will come with a 1DsMk4. Like New AF, Video options, leveling, Buttons you can program, and of course resolution. Here I expect the 1DsMk4 to be more towards the 35Mp instead of the full 47. This could leed up to some very nice additional Dynamic Range and high ISO performance. I think it also points into the direction that the 1dMk4 will be FF and no 1.6 crop anymore.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Canon 7D
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 09:33:01 am »

Quote from: Christopher
I think it also points into the direction that the 1dMk4 will be FF and no 1.6 crop anymore.

The Canon 1D series has never had a 1.6x crop factor; it's approximately 1.25x.

lisa_r

Canon 7D
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 11:25:02 am »

Here's what I think is notable about this camera:

100% viewfinder
24 fps video (among other frame rates)
new 19 point ALL CROSS-TYPE af sensors (better than 5D2)
weather sealed like 1-series cameras
built in flash
better LCD than 5D2

GregW

• http://
Canon 7D
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 12:19:13 pm »

Rather than any one particular feature I find it interesting to note that Canon now has a camera to go head to head with the D300s. Previously they stated it didn't make sense to go head to head with Nikon in the middle/top of the range.

GregW

• http://
Canon 7D
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 12:29:13 pm »

Quote from: lisa_r
new 19 point ALL CROSS-TYPE af sensors (better than 5D2)

If it works! Rob Galbraith's first look casts some doubt over continuous autofocus performance, unfortunately. I'm sure Canon will be interested in his comments. His thorough analysis of the EOS-1D Mark III AF issues, and to a lesser extent the EOS 40D and 50D appeared to galvanise Canon in to action.

TimG

Canon 7D
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 04:42:57 pm »

Canon may have something to go head-to-head with the D300s, but what about Sony?

lisa_r

Canon 7D
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 04:51:04 pm »

GregW: of course the AF has to work properly - let's hope it does this time.

TimG: As to Sony - they seem to be a small fish in the high end dslr game - and without video capabilities even in their new cameras - good luck to them. They'll probably need it. I live in NYC where you will walk by hundreds of people carrying SLRs on a given day. I don't believe I have ever spotted a single a900 in the wild. 5D MarkIIs? They are literally everywhere you look. Even amateurs are carrying $3000 SLRs these days. I believe the a900 is a good camera with good AF, and the a850 seems to be just as good, but it can't be what Canon is most worried about these days.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 04:53:25 pm by lisa_r »

Slough

Canon 7D
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 05:38:43 pm »

Quote from: GregW
Rather than any one particular feature I find it interesting to note that Canon now has a camera to go head to head with the D300s. Previously they stated it didn't make sense to go head to head with Nikon in the middle/top of the range.

It seems to be a common tactic of Canon to dismiss any Nikon product with no equivalent in the Nikon range. No suprise there then. I guess they saw how well the D300 sold despite the high price compared to Canon APS-C offerings.

To add to the features listed, high frame rate, improved AF, built-in remote flash controller.

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
Canon 7D
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 06:05:34 pm »

Y. A. W. N.

Another soulless, plastic box containing a computer. Michael can adequately review it without reference to image quality, 'cause we all know what a Canon APS-C sensor looks like. It's past being limited by the lenses now, so who gives a flying F about the resolution?

And yet more sub-FF, amateur zooms of marginal build and optical quality. Thanks Canon.

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
Canon 7D
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 06:26:42 pm »

Quote from: Nick Rains
If you work out the pixel density it's the equivalent of a 47Mp full framer (1Ds Mk4?).

I would think that a 1.6x crop factor means all you need to do is multiply the mpx of the 7D by 1.6 to get the FF pixel count. That works out at around 28mp which is close to the rumoured 30mp of the 1DsIV.  I suspect this is going to be about the upper limit for the lens technology for most of the EOS lenses for a 35mm sized chip.
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Canon 7D
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 07:29:30 pm »

I ignored the thread seeing the 7D in the title: I thought it was idle speculation about a distant follow-up to 5DII. Appears Canon doesn't really care about clarity in their numbering scheme

Seems like yet another incremental generation from Canon. Hopefully they'll finally have a working AF at least. TOP put it best: for a few hundred more you can get a FF A850.

Quote from: free1000
I would think that a 1.6x crop factor means all you need to do is multiply the mpx of the 7D by 1.6 to get the FF pixel count. That works out at around 28mp which is close to the rumoured 30mp of the 1DsIV.  I suspect this is going to be about the upper limit for the lens technology for most of the EOS lenses for a 35mm sized chip.

Somebody slept through geometry classes at school

For simplicity, let's assume the 7D has one megapixel 1cmx1cm sensor with 1.6 crop factor, for 1000x1000 pixels. Keeping the pixel pitch the same, we get 1600x1600=2.56 megapixels, ie. 2.56 times the pixel count.

I haven't done the math, but 47 megapixels for the FF sounds about right.

AJSJones

Canon 7D
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 08:15:32 pm »

Quote from: ndevlin
Y. A. W. N.

Another soulless, plastic box containing a computer. Michael can adequately review it without reference to image quality, 'cause we all know what a Canon APS-C sensor looks like. It's past being limited by the lenses now, so who gives a flying F about the resolution?

And yet more sub-FF, amateur zooms of marginal build and optical quality. Thanks Canon.

- N.

Ahhh, but you can read in the DPReview assessment how the bigger buttons on the new model are great for gloved hands
Now THAT's progress!

JohnKoerner

Canon 7D
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 09:41:17 am »

Lotta cynicism here

But, if these reviews are actually read, there is no question the Canon 7D is tops in its class ... and employs many advantages over cameras outside its class ...

Of particular interest to me also is that Canon also came out with an "L" series 100mm macro with IS to go with it ...

DarkPenguin

Canon 7D
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 12:03:20 pm »

Quote from: JohnKoerner
Of particular interest to me also is that Canon also came out with an "L" series 100mm macro with IS to go with it ...

I'm curious how it will stack up against the 60mm ef-s.  Of course you'd likely want the extra reach for your vermin fotography.

Luis Argerich

• Astrolandscaper
    • http://www.luisargerich.com/
Canon 7D
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2009, 01:35:23 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
I'm curious how it will stack up against the 60mm ef-s.  Of course you'd likely want the extra reach for your vermin fotography.

I have the same curiosity, given that the 100mm and 60mm macro lenses have already an outstanding IQ I wonder if the new lens will just add IS and the "L" tag. Will see...

Slough

Canon 7D
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2009, 03:58:10 pm »

Given that plenty of people were buying the D300 in preference to a Canon camera, and others were whining that Canon did not take APS-C seriously, I'm sure that this is a significant camera. I'm also sure that Canon looked with envy at Nikon being able to sell an expensive APS-C camera in large numbers.

Quote from: luigis
I have the same curiosity, given that the 100mm and 60mm macro lenses have already an outstanding IQ I wonder if the new lens will just add IS and the "L" tag. Will see...

No, it also adds the high prices that characterise the most recent pro lenses e.g. 17mm TSE. It's almost as if some of these recent announcements are an excuse to raise prices. The D300s adds a few hundred quid to the D300 cost.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up