Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon recommend steering clear of Mac OS 10.6, Snow Leopard  (Read 10108 times)

GregW

• http://
Nikon recommend steering clear of Mac OS 10.6, Snow Leopard
« on: August 31, 2009, 10:34:02 am »

According to Nikon:

'Initial testing of Nikon software with Apple's new "Snow Leopard" Mac OS 10.6 indicates that there are incompatibilites with Nikon Capture NX 2, Nikon View NX and Nikon Scan, users of these applications should not upgrade their OS at this time. When more compatibility information is available it will be posted on the Nikon web site.'

and:

'Nikon generally announces compatibility information for new OS versions within 30 days of the OS release and until compatibility is announced we suggest not upgrading critical systems as we cannot guarantee operation.'

Source: Nikon online support

francois

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 12:44:16 pm »

Quote from: GregW
According to Nikon:

'Initial testing of Nikon software with Apple's new "Snow Leopard" Mac OS 10.6 indicates that there are incompatibilites with Nikon Capture NX 2, Nikon View NX and Nikon Scan, users of these applications should not upgrade their OS at this time. When more compatibility information is available it will be posted on the Nikon web site.'

and:

'Nikon generally announces compatibility information for new OS versions within 30 days of the OS release and until compatibility is announced we suggest not upgrading critical systems as we cannot guarantee operation.'

I'm not surprised  
It took Nikon ten - long - years to correct a crashing bug with the Swiss French localisation…
Francois

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 01:56:02 pm »

I just don't understand Nikon, between staying at 12MP for so long and their crappy software they drove me away and many others too.

Doyle
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 01:59:38 pm by DYP »

GregW

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 12:36:50 pm »

Quote from: DYP
I just don't understand Nikon, between staying at 12MP for so long and their crappy software they drove me away and many others too.

Doyle

I wouldn't trade my D3's 12MP for more if it meant sacrificing any image quality; particularly at higher ISO values. I'm firmly in the 'less is more' camp on this one.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:37:15 pm by GregW »

GregW

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 12:38:07 pm »

It might take companies like Apple and Adobe a little while to support new camera models, but they are normally faster to offer support for a new OS.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 01:31:12 pm »

That is typical of understaffed software companies with high turnover among programmers and (usually) no long term programmer who really understands how the software works.  Unfortunately, that is pretty much the norm for software at that level.  Also, in reality Apple is less competent in implementing and integrating new software than what they would like us to believe Microsoft is.

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 05:37:00 pm »

I wouldn't trade my D3's 12MP for more if it meant sacrificing any image quality; particularly at higher ISO values. I'm firmly in the 'less is more' camp on this one.

That may be perfectly fine for what you need but sadly it was not for my business needs. In fact with current info I have I have finely decided to liquidate all my Nikon gear.

Doyle
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 05:38:32 pm by DYP »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 03:31:02 am »

I have a D3x that adresses every 24MP well - ( before I had a D3)  Only in the high iso ( above 1600 iso the D3 wins by a small margin)

As for Nikon NX2-- i find with a clean install that upto 2.20 the software works      2.2.2 does not.  
On a non clean istall also i even had problems with a freezing 2.20 updater....

If the Nikon software would have the same quality the cameras and lenses have, I would be very happy...

today Digilloyd has a solution for being able to work with NX2  version 2.22 on OSX 10.6.0
http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/index.html
he just copies the program and its libraries from leopard to snow leopard
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 11:02:53 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

GregW

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 01:13:50 pm »

Quote from: DYP
That may be perfectly fine for what you need but sadly it was not for my business needs. In fact with current info I have I have finely decided to liquidate all my Nikon gear.

Doyle

That's a very fair point. Everyone has their own specific needs and will be better suited to certain models. I do a lot of early morning sports photography at 300mm plus, leaning heavily on ISO 3200 hence my perspective.

jmwscot

• http://www.johnwoodphotowork.com
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 05:16:38 am »

According to Nikon:

and:

Has anyone tried Nikon Scan with Snow leopard. I use it with 10.5 ok although it is prone to the odd crash. With Tiger there were no problems. My scanner is a Coolscan 8000. Please don't suggest using Silverfast or Vuescan.

John

mistybreeze

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 10:28:49 am »

Quote from: jmwscot
Has anyone tried Nikon Scan with Snow leopard...My scanner is a Coolscan 8000. Please don't suggest using Silverfast or Vuescan.

Honestly, what's the point of trying? Holding out for some miracle that won't happen? Denial, perhaps? Who wants to download non-compatible software on a serious Mac investment? Nikon made an official announcement ages ago that Nikon Scan WILL NOT be updated beyond Tiger. Why would any serious scanner user think it worthwhile to try non-compatible software on Snow Leopard?

Seems to me, Nikon has made a financial decision. The scanning marketplace is growing smaller. Why throw profit dollars their way? I know a few photographers who still enjoy shooting film and chrome, and happen to love the texture of finishing in digital, relying on good scans. Among those that are Nikon scan/Mac owners, they either have a dedicated Tiger machine or they've purchased Silverfast.

francois

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 11:27:13 am »

Quote from: jmwscot
Has anyone tried Nikon Scan with Snow leopard. I use it with 10.5 ok although it is prone to the odd crash. With Tiger there were no problems. My scanner is a Coolscan 8000. Please don't suggest using Silverfast or Vuescan.

John
Try to find a cheap used Mac Mini and use it as a scanning workstation. Mike Sebastian reports that Nikon Scan seems to be working with Snow Leopard: read post #28 ( http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....st&p=307647 ).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 11:31:18 am by francois »
Francois

ttorgove

• http://Torgove.com
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 01:37:41 am »

Quote from: mistybreeze
Honestly, what's the point of trying? Holding out for some miracle that won't happen? Denial, perhaps? Who wants to download non-compatible software on a serious Mac investment? Nikon made an official announcement ages ago that Nikon Scan WILL NOT be updated beyond Tiger. Why would any serious scanner user think it worthwhile to try non-compatible software on Snow Leopard?

Seems to me, Nikon has made a financial decision. The scanning marketplace is growing smaller. Why throw profit dollars their way? I know a few photographers who still enjoy shooting film and chrome, and happen to love the texture of finishing in digital, relying on good scans. Among those that are Nikon scan/Mac owners, they either have a dedicated Tiger machine or they've purchased Silverfast.

I am afraid that you are right about Nikon, the only problem is that I have a large amount of images that I was hoping to scan at some point when I would have a lot more time to devote to this project.  About a year ago I purchased a 24 in iMac. moving from a PC system. I am absolutely in love with the Mac, and upgraded to Snow Leopard, thinking that a company like Nikon would not let their professional photographers holding the bag! Well I was wrong!
Nikon Scan was perhaps not the best software but it is tough to have to pay almost $400 for the Silverfast software when I paid about $1000 for my Nikon Super Cool Scan 5000 ED.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 01:44:15 am by ttorgove »

NikosR

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 04:24:50 am »

NX 2.2.2 works fine on Slow Leopard. It is the installer that causes problems. If you install NX before migrating to Snow Leopard everything works fine. Otherwise you have to install NX on a Leopard image and copy the files as per diglloyd instructions linked above.
Nikos

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2009, 04:33:29 am »

Hi,

One solution may be to just install Leopard or Tiger on an external drive. I don't see why you don't consider Vuescan to be an option, at 39.95 USD it is really affordable.

Apple is doing a lot of platform changes in the recent few years and not exactly making life easy for developers, as far a I can understand.

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: ttorgove
I am afraid that you are right about Nikon, the only problem is that I have a large amount of images that I was hoping to scan at some point when I would have a lot more time to devote to this project.  About a year ago I purchased a 24 in iMac. moving from a PC system. I am absolutely in love with the Mac, and upgraded to Snow Leopard, thinking that a company like Nikon would not let their professional photographers holding the bag! Well I was wrong!
Nikon Scan was perhaps not the best software but it is tough to have to pay almost $400 for the Silverfast software when I paid about $1000 for my Nikon Super Cool Scan 5000 ED.
Erik Kaffehr

NikosR

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 04:38:55 am »

Using a copy of Windoze under Bootcamp or better, almost seamlessly, under VMware might also be a good solution for running NikonScanor any Win compatible program for that matter.I love VMware and version 3 is even better and fully Snow Leopard optimized.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 04:42:11 am by NikosR »
Nikos

jmwscot

• http://www.johnwoodphotowork.com
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2009, 07:01:09 am »

Quote from: mistybreeze

Well as nobody could give me any first hand experience of Nikon Scan with Snow Leopard, I just decided to try it and it works fine. In fact it seems more stable than it did in Tiger. For anyone else trying to run Nikon Scan (I'm using a 8000ED scanner and a Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz with 8 GB ram and an ATI Radeon X1900 graphics card) give it a go.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up