Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hugin  (Read 3083 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Hugin
« on: August 30, 2009, 04:52:26 pm »

Hi Folks:

On another thread recently someone mentioned the panorama software Hugin.  Since it's open source software the price is right so I thought I'd try it out.  Rather than comparing it to Photomerge or PTGui I wanted to judge it on its own merit, so I took my Fuji walkaround camera out and made some images.  None of these are going to win any awards, but I was just trying out the software.

This is a 10-image stitch of the local City Hall building, made with 2 rows of 5 images, shot handheld at about 12 metres distance.  I allowed the software to automatically assign control points, and it did a good job of fitting everything together.

[attachment=16313:DSCF4261_P.jpg]

Emboldened, I thought I'd challenge the software a bit.  This is made from 8 images, handheld.  Again, I allowed the software to find the control points on its own.

[attachment=16314:DSCF4545_P.jpg]

Now the Hugin software also allows one to create HDR panoramas, so I thought I'd try that out as well.  I used a tripod for this, making 3 images of 3 exposures each - +1, 0, -1, then imported the 9 images into Hugin and let it go.

[attachment=16315:DSCF4887_P.jpg]

Here I wasn't as impressed.  However, I have Timothy Armes' LR/Enfuse plugin for Lightroom, so I combined each of the three multiple exposure images into one using Enfuse, then imported the three blended images into Hugin and ran it again.

[attachment=16316:DSCF4887_PB.jpg]

Here are 100% crops of the two versions.  The LR/Enfuse image is on the right.

[attachment=16317:DSCF4887_P_2.jpg] [attachment=16318:DSCF4887_PB_2.jpg]

NB: All of the images were re-imported back into Lightroom for developing.  The two images of the flowers were not processed identically; rather I tweaked the settings a little to make them look similar.  For example, the image made using the LR/Enfuse blended images came out rather flat, and required a 35% increase in saturation to match the one made in Hugin.

Now I'll be the first to admit I'm not a 'Hugin master' and so the software may be capable of much more than I've been able to do with it.  Still, it does create nice panoramas...

Mike.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 04:53:24 pm by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t

walter.sk

Hugin
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 06:03:35 pm »

Given a first attempt, with handheld shots, this HugIn software looks really promising.  Have you tried merging the same pix in PhotoMerge?  

Your examples have me convinced to download HugIn myself and give it a try.  But lord knows I don't need any more programs to occupy my time or my hard drive...

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Hugin
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 08:50:56 pm »

I agree with Walter.

It's nice to see a demo that approximates the kind of experiments I might make on my own (as one who is too impatient to use a tripod all the time), as opposed to the meticulous, spectacular things that experts like Bernard come up with. I think I'll give Hugin a try.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

walter.sk

Hugin
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 09:52:31 am »

Mike:

I visited the HugIn site but I am confused (nothing new!).  Am I correct in understanding that I have to download a binary version and compile it on my own?  Or is there a Windows version available?

francois

Hugin
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 10:04:54 am »

Quote from: walter.sk
Mike:

I visited the HugIn site but I am confused (nothing new!).  Am I correct in understanding that I have to download a binary version and compile it on my own?  Or is there a Windows version available?
From the download page ( http://hugin.sourceforge.net/download/ ), you can download pre-compiled binaries for major operating systems. Of course, compiling the application from source code is also possible.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 10:06:12 am by francois »
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up