Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Renaming Problem  (Read 2240 times)

tommm

Renaming Problem
« on: August 30, 2009, 01:07:49 pm »

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help with this:

I'm trying to rename my older photos so they match my new file naming template.

This consists of "INITIALS-YYYYMMDD" and then allowing lightroom to add a -X number so that the photos for one day are numbered for each day rather than just a continuing sequence.

This works fine when importing from card for any number of photos but when renaming old photos any day with more than 100 photos results in lightroom saying it is unable to rename photos beyond -100. Any one got any ideas??

Thanks,
Tom

(It would be nice if lightroom offered this way of numbering in it's name templates but unfortunately only offers sequence, image or total as methods for numbering the files, non of which reset each day when the date changes. Leaving it blank so that lightroom adds -X does what I'm after but not perfectly as it means you end up with the first file being INITIALS-YYYYMMDD and the second being INITIALS-YYYYMMDD-2 but it'll have to do).

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Renaming Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 01:48:22 pm »

Quote from: tommm
Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help with this:

I'm trying to rename my older photos so they match my new file naming template.

This consists of "INITIALS-YYYYMMDD" and then allowing lightroom to add a -X number so that the photos for one day are numbered for each day rather than just a continuing sequence.

This works fine when importing from card for any number of photos but when renaming old photos any day with more than 100 photos results in lightroom saying it is unable to rename photos beyond -100. Any one got any ideas??

Thanks,
Tom

(It would be nice if lightroom offered this way of numbering in it's name templates but unfortunately only offers sequence, image or total as methods for numbering the files, non of which reset each day when the date changes. Leaving it blank so that lightroom adds -X does what I'm after but not perfectly as it means you end up with the first file being INITIALS-YYYYMMDD and the second being INITIALS-YYYYMMDD-2 but it'll have to do).

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean by the last paragraph, but I think you need to look at the filename template editor and adding a sequence number. That way you can control what it's doing. I think you are using LR's name conflict resolution feature to add the terminal -X, which is probably not what it was intended for.

Jeremy

tommm

Renaming Problem
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 04:20:02 pm »

Sorry if it wasn't too clear. Adding a sequence number in the file naming template unfortunately doesn't achieve what I'm after. It results in file names where the date changes but the sequence number does not reset to 001 for each new day.

For example:

If I import a card with two days of photos on it and a naming template of "Date (YYYYMMDD)-Sequence (001)" it results in files named: 20090829-0001 to 20090829-037 and 20090830-038 to 20090830-056. Where as what I'm after (and I can't be alone) is 20090829-001 to 20090829-037 and 20090830-001 to 20090830-019.

Hope this clarifies.

It's not ideal but using lightrooms name conflict resolution feature works fine when importing new photos but for some reason when batch renaming it get's stuck at -100. I can manually finish the days with more than 100 photos but it's a right royal pain in the butt!

Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up