Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any word on Snow Leopard Drivers for Epson 3800?  (Read 6374 times)

hassiman

Any word on Snow Leopard Drivers for Epson 3800?
« on: August 29, 2009, 04:21:41 pm »

Wondering if anyone had heard any word ask to wether or not Epson would update the driver set for the 3800 used with Snow Leopard?

Gemmtech

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 05:07:53 pm »

Quote from: hassiman
Wondering if anyone had heard any word ask to wether or not Epson would update the driver set for the 3800 used with Snow Leopard?

Well, not officially supported yet, but it'll work.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support...id=79928#stage1

hassiman

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 12:47:22 pm »

I have this funny hunch that Epson will release updated drivers for the 3880 but not the 3800 as an "incentiove" to get 3800 owners to upgrade...   Hope I'm wrong.  The 3800 could use a fix for the AWB PS CS4 problem as well.

agavephoto

• http://drewmedlin.com
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 02:00:46 pm »

Quote from: Gemmtech
Well, not officially supported yet, but it'll work.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support...id=79928#stage1

Epson support claims that a real X.6 driver will be released (take that for what it's worth) . . .  and that there are no differences in functionality or options one would see when comparing printing from the X.6 Rosetta version compared to the X.5.x version. Having dealt with this specific customer service rep before, I personally do not trust much of what he says. Can anyone back that statement up with real experience? I just took delivery of my 3800 recently, and I am still in my return window (barely). Other than another semi-minor issue, I'm very very happy with the printer and print quality.

Thanks for your help.

hassiman

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 02:06:10 pm »

Quote from: agavephoto
Epson support claims that a real X.6 driver will be released (take that for what it's worth) . . .  and that there are no differences in functionality or options one would see when comparing printing from the X.6 Rosetta version compared to the X.5.x version. Having dealt with this specific customer service rep before, I personally do not trust much of what he says. Can anyone back that statement up with real experience? I just took delivery of my 3800 recently, and I am still in my return window (barely). Other than another semi-minor issue, I'm very very happy with the printer and print quality.

Thanks for your help.

The 3800 is an incredible machine... and unless the machine one has is on its last legs I doubt that folks will just up and switch to the 3880.  Maybe a roll print option would have done that.  As cynical as I have become I really can't comprhend that Epson, given the many thousands of dedicated 3800 users out there, would leave us twisting in the wind with no updated driver....

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 02:56:43 pm »

FWIW, I have had no problems printing with the most recent driver under SL. I had to delete the printer and re-create it, but that took less than a minute.

However, the other utilities (remote panel and printer watcher) have stopped working, saying they can't communicate with the printer. So I hope I don't need a to run a head clean any time soon.

Jeremy

agavephoto

• http://drewmedlin.com
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 08:16:15 pm »

Epson support told me on the phone ~ 10 minutes ago that no Rosetta is needed. All I should theoretically need to do is delete the printer from Print & Fax, then restore permissions, and reinstall the driver from scratch and it should work. I don't have my copy of SL yet, so unfortunately I cannot confirm this first hand (though I did read a post elsewhere that claimed this worked). LFP does not currently work in SL as I understand.  I hope this is useful to somebody besides me!

Bob Peterson

• http://www.pbase.com/rwzeitgeist/
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 08:04:13 am »

Lloyd Chambers documents how he successfully installed the current drivers in both 32-bit and 64-bit Snow Leopard.

Bob

OceansideKelly

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 06:50:35 pm »

Quote from: rwzeitgeist
Lloyd Chambers documents how he successfully installed the current drivers in both 32-bit and 64-bit Snow Leopard.

Bob

Short Version:  Repair Permissions after installing 10.6

Long Version:
I went through the Snow Leopard upgrade process this past weekend.  It was not optimal.

The above process documented by Lloyd Chambers works, and is just about as simple as it sounds.

But, I ran in to another problem that confused things rather a lot.
- When I installed Snow Leopard, my permissions got messed up.  This had never happened to me before.
- Long story short, if your first print after following Lloyd's instructions looks rubbish (my shadows were blocked and there was magenta everywhere), go to your disk utility and repair permissions on your main drive.
- Clean your nozzles while you are at it

My Time Machine volume also got messed up in all this...

Now, so far so good, no problems printing.  This really should have been a very simple 5 minute process to follow Lloyd's instructions but for my permissions borking.

ttfn

Pages: [1]   Go Up