Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Signing CANVAS Prints,with what do you sign them,where etc.  (Read 36704 times)

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Signing CANVAS Prints,with what do you sign them,where etc.
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 10:30:30 am »

This thread is interesting. I'm having a hard time signing my work and have gone to using Photoshop. While I have nothing against signing my work, my handwriting is illegible.

I suppose I could keep the photoshopped sig and hand sign it just above that. At least people could read it then.

I also use a stage name. I probably shouldn’t as I have 2 fairly famous cousins, but it fits the work and no one but friends will ever know the difference.

I have a related question: Does anyone provide a short blurb about the work on the back? I do that and was thinking about putting my stage name and real name there. Comments?

blansky

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 12:09:58 pm »

Just curious, as I said earlier, that I photoshop sign my signature, and someone stated that it is not "hand signed". I'm curious how you could tell if it is hand signed or not.

Unless you are using some sort of paint, which has obvious thickness, how could you tell whether a photoshop signature is "real" or not.

Way back I used to sign dozens of prints at a time with gold leaf foil. My signatures at that time were really really close to identical. Partly because I was used to writing letters and things like that. With the advent of the internet and email, everything I write now is with a keyboard. So now my writing sucks.

Therefore, as I said I have 4 signatures on brushes in photoshop and I mix them up.

I personally, shoot, edit, retouch, print , coat and frame my prints. That seems like its "personal" enough to me.

Michael
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 12:13:28 pm by blansky »

Snook

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 03:46:35 pm »

Quote from: blansky
Just curious, as I said earlier, that I photoshop sign my signature, and someone stated that it is not "hand signed". I'm curious how you could tell if it is hand signed or not.

Unless you are using some sort of paint, which has obvious thickness, how could you tell whether a photoshop signature is "real" or not.

Way back I used to sign dozens of prints at a time with gold leaf foil. My signatures at that time were really really close to identical. Partly because I was used to writing letters and things like that. With the advent of the internet and email, everything I write now is with a keyboard. So now my writing sucks.

Therefore, as I said I have 4 signatures on brushes in photoshop and I mix them up.

I personally, shoot, edit, retouch, print , coat and frame my prints. That seems like its "personal" enough to me.

Michael

Well When you sign the print with actually paint pen you wil abviously see it is on  "top" of the print images as with photoshop it will obviuos I imagine that it was done in photoshop and printed through a print with the same ink as the print.
That is why I alos personally wnated to sign them after the fact as it seem more "real".
You will be able to see the ink on top like a real sign print or image.
I would rather not go the photoshop way unless it was more commercial stuff that I was selling a dime a dozen. These are 1/1 originals and find it more elegant to sign them myself.
Everyone has there own way and this is just my opinion ofcourse.
Maybe if I was ripping 100's of landscapes to a more commercial type deal I would do the photoshop process, other wise I feel it is more real signing them with ink on top of the print.
Authors of books and anything really "signed" by the person is usually done after the fact in most cases I have seen. Makes it less generic also.

Thanks for all the opinions. One very improtant one was by bill about the size of the signature not making the porportion off.. Somehting to think about for sure!

Snook
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up