Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: recent amateur works  (Read 6371 times)

bigalbest

recent amateur works
« on: August 28, 2009, 07:38:24 pm »

Hi, not ready to post in the other thread which I viewed in it's entirety one evening last week. I was truly inspired by some of the pictures and discussion, and would like to add some of my own. Recently purchased my first MF camera, a Hasselblad H1 which has worked very well and convinced me to go to the next level and purchase the H3DII-22. Here are a couple shots from this afternoons swim, any comments are welcome. Please add your amateur works and off topic chat.  

[attachment=16270:crazy_kid.jpg]

[attachment=16271:poolside_crop.jpg]

KAHA

• www.davidpoata.com
recent amateur works
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 08:35:15 pm »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UMM, SORRY  

bigalbest

recent amateur works
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 11:52:21 pm »

Not a fan eh? That's ok, I can take it.

KAHA

• www.davidpoata.com
recent amateur works
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 05:17:51 am »

Quote from: bigalbest
Not a fan eh? That's ok, I can take it.

Nothing personal intended, I think your daughters look happy and having lots of fun  

I was hoping to see amateur photos, snapshots or images that don't necessarily require much thought or artistic intention in family friendly sites like flicker, myspace, facebook or twitter etc.

Please ignore me, I'm having a less than average day    

Dick Roadnight

recent amateur works
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 05:24:48 am »

Hi, not ready to post in the other thread which I viewed in it's entirety one evening last week. I was truly inspired by some of the pictures and discussion, and would like to add some of my own. Recently purchased my first MF camera, a Hasselblad H1 which has worked very well and convinced me to go to the next level and purchase the H3DII-22. Here are a couple shots from this afternoons swim, any comments are welcome. Please add your amateur works and off topic chat.  
The H3D is not the ideal camera for amateur, hand-held ambient work, they work best with a tripod or flash.

For this type of shot low fill helps, and the trick (which most pros have not worked out) is to hold the camera upside-down so that the on camera flash (H1?) fills the shadows cast by the sun... particularly useful for people wearing hats.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

bigalbest

recent amateur works
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 09:11:19 am »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
The H3D is not the ideal camera for amateur, hand-held ambient work, they work best with a tripod or flash.

For this type of shot low fill helps, and the trick (which most pros have not worked out) is to hold the camera upside-down so that the on camera flash (H1?) fills the shadows cast by the sun... particularly useful for people wearing hats.

Sounds interesting, but I didn't use the pop up flash in those shots. Here is one with the on board:

[attachment=16278:cruisin.jpg]

bigalbest

recent amateur works
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 09:21:33 am »

Quote from: KAHA
Nothing personal intended, I think your daughters look happy and having lots of fun  

I was hoping to see amateur photos, snapshots or images that don't necessarily require much thought or artistic intention in family friendly sites like flicker, myspace, facebook or twitter etc.

Please ignore me, I'm having a less than average day  

Ahhh ok, no harm. My intention was to display thoughtful MFD photos by people who don't get paid for their pictures. I am a working photographer, but only in the most beginning sense. The word professional is thrown around so casually these days that it sometimes makes me want to puke, and I myself don't yet have any delusions of grandeur.

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
recent amateur works
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 10:42:15 am »

Welcome on board. If you shoot DB you are in the right place.
I am having a good day so I decided to be nice.
Andre

BobDavid

recent amateur works
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 11:21:41 am »

Ahhh ok, no harm. My intention was to display thoughtful MFD photos by people who don't get paid for their pictures. I am a working photographer, but only in the most beginning sense. The word professional is thrown around so casually these days that it sometimes makes me want to puke, and I myself don't yet have any delusions of grandeur.

Keep posting. I enjoyed looking at your photos. I think they're cool.

bigalbest

recent amateur works
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 08:54:57 pm »

Here is another. Now I just need some beautiful models and a spacious studio. My kids are getting sick of sitting for me lol.

[attachment=16353:bw.jpg]

revaaron

recent amateur works
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 10:54:39 am »

Sorry to pollute. I wish that I didn't hurt my back the other week so I could have more film scanned. I was on a roll. Anyhow, I just did a few 8x12, 8x10, 5x7, and 16x20 prints that I'm waiting on. here are 1 or 2 of the things I printed.

hurricane bill in Rye NH USA

Pirates Cove Rye NH USA

I don't believe these would be considered "amateur" since I sold them.
the big dog show, portsmouth nh usa (these are each 8'x10')

revaaron

recent amateur works
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 10:59:08 am »

bigalbest: I really wish that I had a mfdb of my own (I know this post is going to net me more PMs about people selling their gear). I really love the dimensions and depth of MF. Seeing what flash being added into the mix makes me jealous that film doesn't allot me that freedom.  Some day when I can buy a 5th hand 22MP mfdb for $2000 for my contax, I guess that I will have one.  I just have to sit, wait, and use film til them.

bigalbest

recent amateur works
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 10:32:32 am »

Quote from: revaaron
bigalbest: I really wish that I had a mfdb of my own (I know this post is going to net me more PMs about people selling their gear). I really love the dimensions and depth of MF. Seeing what flash being added into the mix makes me jealous that film doesn't allot me that freedom.  Some day when I can buy a 5th hand 22MP mfdb for $2000 for my contax, I guess that I will have one.  I just have to sit, wait, and use film til them.

Ahh, I wish I could experiment with film the way I do digital. Your pictures are very nice, the quality of medium and large format film cannot be denied. I am happy with results so far from my H3DII and can tell you it was no easy thing for me to make the initial purchases. I'm no big budget rock star like some of the photographers I see around, and had to give part of my manhood along with cash to finalize the deal. I will most likely have to sell a majority of my 35mm gear just to acquire a couple second hand lenses, and maybe some accessories.  

revaaron

recent amateur works
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 11:47:41 pm »

I shoot mostly 35mm digital at night. the MF is what I now do on my free time. Since I'm not making money on the MF, it's heard to invest in it.  Granted, I'm at home on a saturday night scanning films to send to adorama to print.

here is my fridge

the funniest thing is that I spend $1200 on a body, and then about $2000 on 2 lenses and then another $1200 on a bunch of other accessories and I have yet to get anything from my investment that holds a candle to the 1951 rolleichord using my nikon D3 to meter.

oh well, tomorrow, I think I'm going back to the beach with my MF film and my kodak SLR/n.

revaaron

recent amateur works
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 11:51:08 pm »

oh and I might also be forced to sell my only property for a very healthy and inflated profit (if they agree to up their current unsolicited offer). If that happens, then a MFDB will be in my immediate future along with a contax 210 f/4, a nikon 200mm f/2, a nikon 14-24mm f/2.8, and a nikon 200-400mm.

bigalbest

recent amateur works
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 06:10:45 pm »

Some shots from this weekend. All taken with 80mm handheld manual focus using the pop up flash.

[attachment=16548:Hailey_and_friends.jpg]

[attachment=16549:Jim_Pendergast.jpg]

[attachment=16550:Jennifer.jpg]

[attachment=16551:princess_Hailey.jpg]

bigalbest

recent amateur works
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 09:04:14 pm »

[attachment=16713:dead_on_light.jpg]

I am getting close to the quality I've been looking for and love the tack sharp images of the H3DII. Still made some adjustments in PS but I'm no expert. This camera is billed as an autofocus but I find myself using manual almost exclusively.
Pages: [1]   Go Up