Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it just me?  (Read 18997 times)

Bronislaus Janulis

• http://bronislaus.com
Is it just me?
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 03:18:43 pm »

Personal grumpiness from the hinterland would, with a mouth full of sour grapes contend that: the image that is a cliche is safe, does not require a critical eye or mind. The new and innovative is seldom accepted at first.

Grumble, grumble.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Is it just me?
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2009, 07:37:03 pm »

Quote from: Bronislaus Janulis
The new and innovative is seldom accepted at first.
But if it is accepted and then embraced, then it becomes a new cliche!  And I would not care to be marked as the author of a new cliche when the Art Trials come.

I walk through the local state fair's highschoolesque photo competition each year.  It's fun to try to spot next year's nascent cliches in the few pioneering images that initially invoke them, then compare that to the glut of the same stuff that will surely follow the next year.  In recent years unrevealingly naked women and babies with angel wings and also telephoto eagle stares showed exponential one year growth cycles.

Geoff Wittig

Is it just me?
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2009, 04:58:00 pm »

Quote from: bill t.
But if it is accepted and then embraced, then it becomes a new cliche!  And I would not care to be marked as the author of a new cliche when the Art Trials come.

I walk through the local state fair's highschoolesque photo competition each year.  It's fun to try to spot next year's nascent cliches in the few pioneering images that initially invoke them, then compare that to the glut of the same stuff that will surely follow the next year.  In recent years unrevealingly naked women and babies with angel wings and also telephoto eagle stares showed exponential one year growth cycles.

Gosh, ain't that the truth.
There's a regional art competition in the closest mid-sized city every year, open to all media. There are probably eight or ten photographs all together chosen for the exhibition. Last year's "winners" included a couple of heavily manipulated "landscapes" much like John Pfahl's digital concoctions. This year instead the motif du jour was unrecognizeable digital "photograms" and a whole bunch of drab photos of parking lots and abandoned industrial spaces, ala Jeff Brouws. The only photos that even remotely appealed were a pair of geometric landscapse shot from the air.

Evidently, "beauty" is out this year.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 04:59:16 pm by Geoff Wittig »

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
Is it just me?
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2009, 05:03:21 pm »

I do enjoy photographing beautiful places but the absolute one place I have absolutely no desire to visit or photograph is antelope canyon.  Can't imagine  why??? :-)  I don't think I could do anything original there no matter had hard I tried.!! eleanor

Quote from: Geoff Wittig
Gosh, ain't that the truth.
There's a regional art competition in the closest mid-sized city every year, open to all media. There are probably eight or ten photographs all together chosen for the exhibition. Last year's "winners" included a couple of heavily manipulated "landscapes" much like John Pfahl's digital concoctions. This year instead the motif du jour was unrecognizeable digital "photograms" and a whole bunch of drab photos of parking lots and abandoned industrial spaces, ala Jeff Brouws. The only photos that even remotely appealed were a pair of geometric landscapse shot from the air.

Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Is it just me?
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2009, 05:57:50 pm »

Quote from: Geoff Wittig
Beauty?  It's just sooo not Edgy!  None of the better galleries are taking Beauty right now.

And Eleanor, we've sent your picture to the guards at A.C., we'll know within minutes if you show up there!  

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Is it just me?
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2009, 03:24:51 am »

Came across this quote today; thought I'd add it in here:

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new lands, but in seeing with new eyes."- Marcel Proust

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up