Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Firmware for Z3100ps --Apple OS Anyone install it? Know what is in it?  (Read 3603 times)

Edhopkins

There is a discussion on HP Z3100 firmware elsewhere on this from. That discussion is concerned with PCs. The issues  with MAC OS seem to be identical.  There does seem to be new firmware available; there is no indication of what it does differently than the old version.

On my machine: (HP Z3100 ps GP (44") running OS 10.5.8 on a new Mac Pro)

The currently version of the firmware is:  TR12-TR12PS_7.0.0.3 -- according to the HP Print Utility

The notes from the HP web site on this installed version are:

Version:   TR12PS-7.0.0.3-5 (9 Sep 2008)
Operating System(s):  Mac OS X, Mac OS X 10.5
File name:  TR12-TR12PS_07_00_00-3_mvl40-x86-opt_B.dmg (332 MB)

Latest version available is: TR12PS-TR12_7.0.0.3-5 (what  you get when you use the HP Print utility to check your firmware version and then  go the HP to see what is newer by clicking "HP Designjet Online"

The notes from the HP web site on this new version are:

Version:   7.0.0.3-52 (17 Jun 2009)
Operating System(s):   Mac OS X, Mac OS X 10.4, Mac OS X 10.5
File name:   TR12-TR12PS_07_00_00-3-2_mvl40-x86-opt_B.dmg (332 MB)

So...the versions are different, the file name is different, I guess we can conclude that there is really a firmware update.

BOTH the installed and the new versions have the following under "Fixes"

You will be able to replace a cartridge that has run out of ink in the middle of a print without needing to cancel the print.
When loading photo papers, the printer will ask if you want to cut the leading edge of the paper.
A firmware upgrade will not delete custom paper presets from the printer.
There will be a new option in the Paper menu to advance and reverse paper without cutting it.
The processing speed when printing large images or rotated images through the PostScript driver has been improved

Anyone install this or have any idea what is in it?  The only change I can see in the descriptions is that the new version also runs on Mac OS X 10.4.  Is this a bug fix for people who are still on 10.4?

Thanks

ed
Baltimore

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
New Firmware for Z3100ps --Apple OS Anyone install it? Know what is in it?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 01:29:28 pm »

I'm still in the same boat with you, Ed.  Wondering if there is any potential reward to justify the risk in updating my firmware, since we've seen that the process often breaks as much as it fixes.  

Anybody else out there that has tried it and might have missed this post the first time around?
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

tonywong

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 12:00:58 pm »

I decided to give it a try. Perhaps it will fix some outstanding bugs I found in the Postscript RIP when imaging large bitmaps. This is a 44" PS GP (Q6660A)

I forgot to jot down the previous firmware's versions but here is what I see in the printer now:
Firmware: TR12-TR12PS_7.0.0.3
PS: 3017.102-02.95R

I haven't had a chance to really shake it down yet but if anyone can post the last firmware information at least we can see if there are any differences in OS or PS versions. I don't have Tiger so I can't test for any compatibility fixes there.

tonywong

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 01:51:38 am »

Quote from: tonywong
I decided to give it a try. Perhaps it will fix some outstanding bugs I found in the Postscript RIP when imaging large bitmaps. This is a 44" PS GP (Q6660A)

I forgot to jot down the previous firmware's versions but here is what I see in the printer now:
Firmware: TR12-TR12PS_7.0.0.3
PS: 3017.102-02.95R

I haven't had a chance to really shake it down yet but if anyone can post the last firmware information at least we can see if there are any differences in OS or PS versions. I don't have Tiger so I can't test for any compatibility fixes there.

FWIW, I printed a document that had imaging errors in bitmaps from the PCL driver when the resolution was beyond a certain size. I eventually made a pdf and then rasterized it in photoshop and printed it from there.

After the firmware update, I accidentally reprinted that document directly from indesign, and the imaging errors were no longer there. So it looks like the firmware update was more about bug fixes rather than any new features.
Pages: [1]   Go Up