Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple Snow Leopard - unsupported printers  (Read 2512 times)

BCS

• http://
Apple Snow Leopard - unsupported printers
« on: August 28, 2009, 07:18:28 am »

Apple's article gives the list of printers supported by 10.6 Snow Leopard.

I am still waiting for my copy of SL to arrive, but am alarmed to see there is no support for my large format HP Designjet 120NR printer.  

There was in Leopard 10.5 - so it looks like I may have to keep another external HD with Leopard 10.5 installed just to keep my printer going.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 08:28:48 am »

Quote from: BCS
Apple's article gives the list of printers supported by 10.6 Snow Leopard.

I am still waiting for my copy of SL to arrive, but am alarmed to see there is no support for my large format HP Designjet 120NR printer.  

There was in Leopard 10.5 - so it looks like I may have to keep another external HD with Leopard 10.5 installed just to keep my printer going.

You are not alone - my Canon IPf5100 is not listed as supported either.

I already have Snow Leopard installed, but have not yet tried printing to the IPF5100 - will try tommorow and see how it goes.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 09:09:02 am »

Isn't the responsibility of making the printer work on Snow Leopard the responsibility of the printer manufacturer? I would think that they would need to make their drivers work, not Apple.

By the way, I hope that snow leopard fixes all of these b.s. ColorSync bugs that many of us have been encountering!!!
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 09:16:11 am »

Quote from: abiggs
Isn't the responsibility of making the printer work on Snow Leopard the responsibility of the printer manufacturer? I would think that they would need to make their drivers work, not Apple.

By the way, I hope that snow leopard fixes all of these b.s. ColorSync bugs that many of us have been encountering!!!

Word on the grapevine on the IPF Wiki is new drivers for X100 series printers for Snow Leopard on October 9th.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 09:46:13 am »

Correct, Andy, it is the responsibility of the printer maker. Once Snow Leopard-compatible drivers are ready, they should be automatically downloaded by the OS.
Eric Chan

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 10:26:32 am »

Canon tells me the Snow Leopard drivers for iPF x200, x100 and x000 printers will be out by October 9th. The Photoshop plug-ins should be released at about the same time. The new software will be fully 64 bit compatible. They've had these drivers and plug-ins working on Snow Leopard betas for a while but want to be extra careful to test it on the final release version, thus the ~10 day delay between 10.6 and their drivers.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

JohnBlake

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 12:00:44 pm »

Quote from: Onsight
Canon tells me the Snow Leopard drivers for iPF x200, x100 and x000 printers will be out by October 9th. The Photoshop plug-ins should be released at about the same time. The new software will be fully 64 bit compatible. They've had these drivers and plug-ins working on Snow Leopard betas for a while but want to be extra careful to test it on the final release version, thus the ~10 day delay between 10.6 and their drivers.

Scott

Don't you mean September 9 instead of October 9? The ten day delay following the release of 10.6.

John

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 12:12:12 pm »

Quote from: JohnBlake
Don't you mean September 9 instead of October 9? The ten day delay following the release of 10.6.
Good point. They originally planned on Snow Leopard on coming out at the end of September and wanted to have a ~10 day testing period on the final release before releasing their drivers and plug-ins - thus the October 9th date. Now that 10.6 is released they are still saying "by [or before] October 9th" but that is a ~40 day period as you've pointed out. We'll see when they actually arrive. At least we know we won't have to wait longer than Oct 9th.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 02:18:07 pm »

I believe that list are the devices with built in OS support.  For example,  I would suspect that the 11880 driver mentioned is not the full support that is offered via the Epson driver, and its inclusion in the list doesn't necessarily mean the current Epson driver is compatible. I would assume most high end inkjets are in the same category.  As mentioned, it is the printer makers responsibility to supply that type of driver.
Pages: [1]   Go Up