Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 extended warranty  (Read 3502 times)

Vlad3

• http://www.kabelik.com
Z3100 extended warranty
« on: August 27, 2009, 08:49:53 pm »

Hi guys,

My Z3100 is one year old and the warranty will expire in just a few weeks. Frankly, it makes me a bit nervous because I had SW issues with almost every firmware upgrade. I am not a full-time printer but the extended warranty options are all very pricey – and so are service calls by HP technicians…

What should I do? Or what would you do? Or even better, what have you done about it?

Always good to hear from this group!

Best regards,

Vlad3

rdonson

Z3100 extended warranty
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 09:14:37 pm »

I waited until I needed service then bought the one year service contract.  Not cheap but it worked for me.
Regards,
Ron

namartinnz

Z3100 extended warranty
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 09:52:44 pm »

Quote from: rdonson
I waited until I needed service then bought the one year service contract.  Not cheap but it worked for me.

I bought my Z3100 back in Feb 2007, never had a hardware issue and never bought the extended warranty. I suppose you take your chances...Reliability has been great so far.

Neal

Edhopkins

Z3100 extended warranty
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 07:41:22 am »

I tried to get HP to explain what was covered in their service contract. Was never able to get clarity. The local dealer, from whom I bought the printer (Z3100ps GP 44"), offered a service contract for a bit lower price that seemed to cover what I needed covered: hardware and service costs and software help. I paid for a three year plan.  People from this place had put my printer in place and installed the pizza wheel, etc. fix.

So far we have not had to use our service contract.  We may end up paying a lot of money for "peace of mind." We shall see. (and the local dealer, as far as I know, has not gone out of business...)

I assume I will have to take care of any software problems. My strategy is simple: be ready to do a complete reinstall of everything, OS and all. Start from scratch, fresh copies of all the new stuff, and roll. My sense is that all HP related software problems have to do with "residuals" of previous versions.  

I did not think you could buy a HP service contract after your initial one year warranty expired. I expect it would be impossible to talk to HP and find out whether this was true.

ed

Baltimore

jhein

Z3100 extended warranty
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 12:31:58 pm »

Vlad:
I am not sure if the rules are different in Canada but here in the US, this is what I did.  Since I paid for my Z3100 with my VISA card, it doubles the warranty time.  I had to go to the Visa web site and enroll my Z3100.  Then I had to submit a copy of the invoice showing that I paid for the Z3100 with my Visa card.  If you need service for the Z3100, you first pay for it with your Visa.  Next you submit a claim.  In about 4 weeks you will get a check to reimburse you.  I have not had a claim for the Z3100 but I did have a monitor go bad.  It was out of warranty.  It had a bad solder joint that cost $200 to fix.  I submitted the claim and sure enough I received my check a month later.

My extended time is now up.  I am seriously contemplating upgrading to a Z3200. I would try to take advantage of the semi regular trade up sales that HP offers.  They will give you a $1000US rebate for trading in your old Z or other LFP.  The great part is you  don't have to give up your old Z.  I figure I can sell it for at least $1000.  Take the proceeds combined with the rebate would make my net cost around $1500 for new printer.  This is isn't that much different than a three year extended warranty on the old Z.

hope this helps
Jim

Vlad3

Z3100 extended warranty
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 06:37:13 pm »

Quote from: jhein
Vlad:
I am not sure if the rules are different in Canada but here in the US, this is what I did.  Since I paid for my Z3100 with my VISA card, it doubles the warranty time.  I had to go to the Visa web site and enroll my Z3100.  Then I had to submit a copy of the invoice showing that I paid for the Z3100 with my Visa card.  If you need service for the Z3100, you first pay for it with your Visa.  Next you submit a claim.  In about 4 weeks you will get a check to reimburse you.  I have not had a claim for the Z3100 but I did have a monitor go bad.  It was out of warranty.  It had a bad solder joint that cost $200 to fix.  I submitted the claim and sure enough I received my check a month later.

My extended time is now up.  I am seriously contemplating upgrading to a Z3200. I would try to take advantage of the semi regular trade up sales that HP offers.  They will give you a $1000US rebate for trading in your old Z or other LFP.  The great part is you  don't have to give up your old Z.  I figure I can sell it for at least $1000.  Take the proceeds combined with the rebate would make my net cost around $1500 for new printer.  This is isn't that much different than a three year extended warranty on the old Z.

hope this helps
Jim

Thank you all for your very useful input!!! It is always wonderful to hear from this group! I will surely follow your advice.

Vlad3

garyfcampbell

Z3100 extended warranty
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 08:38:20 pm »

Hi,

I would buy the extended warranty.  One service call out of warranty costs almost as much as the extended warranty, but the warranty covers more than one year.  While the printers are reliable, they have many moving parts and are throwing around ink that can cause problems with some components over time.

I bought the 3 year warranty, after 3 more years I will be interested in a new printer anyway, so I didn't think the 5 year was the right choice.

Gary

deanwork

Z3100 extended warranty
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 11:44:23 pm »

Quote from: garyfcampbell
Hi,

I would buy the extended warranty.  One service call out of warranty costs almost as much as the extended warranty, but the warranty covers more than one year.  While the printers are reliable, they have many moving parts and are throwing around ink that can cause problems with some components over time.

I bought the 3 year warranty, after 3 more years I will be interested in a new printer anyway, so I didn't think the 5 year was the right choice.

Gary

Absolutely get the extended warranty. Last week I  found out the hard drive on my main board needed replacing after a year and a half. The printer was flawless until then. What they ended up doing was replacing the entire logic board, which is what they do in that case, even though that little Hitachai hard drive is easily removed. It took about 10 minutes to replace the board and now it is like new again. They also put in the newer adjustable star wheel mechanism.  Luckily I had the 3 year extended warranty. It probably would have been well over a thousand for this one call.  This warranty covers all phone support, the 24 hour on site repair and any parts. It's well worth it. Like he said, after 3 years you probably want to  move to the next generation and this will keep you covered until then.

deanwork

Z3100 extended warranty
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 11:44:23 pm »

Quote from: garyfcampbell
Hi,

Gary

Absolutely get the extended warranty. Last week I  found out the hard drive on my main board needed replacing after a year and a half. The printer was flawless until then. What they ended up doing was replacing the entire logic board, which is what they do in that case, even though that little Hitachai hard drive is easily removed. It took about 10 minutes to replace the board and now it is like new again. They also put in the newer adjustable star wheel mechanism.  Luckily I had the 3 year extended warranty. It probably would have been well over a thousand for this one call.  This warranty covers all phone support, the 24 hour on site repair and any parts. It's well worth it. Like he said, after 3 years you probably want to  move to the next generation and this will keep you covered until then.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Z3100 extended warranty
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 05:02:21 pm »

I am not sure if the rules are different in Canada but here in the US, this is what I did.  Since I paid for my Z3100 with my VISA card, it doubles the warranty time...

AMEX is the same.

To echo others, i think you can buy the extended warranty at any time. If you get the part number from HP Mr Google can help you shop for it.

reburns

• Ralph E Burns Photography
Z3100 extended warranty
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 07:21:42 pm »

... this is what I did.  Since I paid for my Z3100 with my VISA card, it doubles the warranty time.  I had to go to the Visa web site and enroll my Z3100.  ....

I did the same, since the "Visa Performance Guarantee" thru "Visa Warranty Manager Service" gave 4 years coverage for some $350+ instead of ~$1200 for 3 years coverage thru HP.  And I used it once.  When selling the HP after too much software driver-induced brain damage, the extended warranty helped attract buyers on Craigslist.  I used the warranty to change out the pizza wheels for the buyer, after which I transferred the Visa extended warranty to the new owner's name.

I felt that as a hobbiest, I didn't need any premium on-call support that HP may have offered.  I arranged repair thru a local HP authorized outfit of my choosing and submitted the receipt.  There are a couple caviats:  the trouble issue must be reported within 60 days of indicent (and I couldn't find that in the small print anywhere), and not all Visa cards offer the extended warranty option.  I purchased the printer using my personal Visa card instead of a business Visa card to net the benefit.  - Ralph

alanmcf

• http://
Z3100 extended warranty
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 12:16:41 pm »

Quote from: deanwork
Absolutely get the extended warranty....
Me too... and after getting it I finally relaxed! But make sure to wait until the initial warranty is about to expire, otherwise you loose those months. Alan

Vlad3

Z3100 extended warranty
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 06:57:44 pm »

Vlad:

hope this helps
Jim

Just checked my year-old order again and, halleluiah, my MC also offers a one-year extended warranty. So, I will try to use this feature if necessary.

Thanks for the tip,

Vlad3

Pages: [1]   Go Up