Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: OSX SNOW out tomorrow, which softwares will work??  (Read 15105 times)

PdF

OSX SNOW out tomorrow, which softwares will work??
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2009, 01:44:24 pm »

Quote from: Cfranson
I'll be doing some tests later in the day today with Captureshop and 10.6.

Great !

PdF
PdF

E_Edwards

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2009, 03:14:48 pm »

Who has the stomach for updates anymore?

I'm fed up with updates that don't do much at all. My policy is that if it works well already, leave it alone until there is a really compelling reason to update.

I don't see any compelling reasons to update to Snow Leopard as everything I need works perfectly OK and the whole hassle is not worth it just to gain a millisecond of speed opening Word or something similar.

Edward

teddillard

• http://www.teddillard.com
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2009, 03:28:56 pm »

Quote from: E_Edwards

I'm fed up with updates that don't do much at all. My policy is that if it works well already, leave it alone until there is a really compelling reason to update.

I don't see any compelling reasons to update to Snow Leopard as everything I need works perfectly OK and the whole hassle is not worth it just to gain a millisecond of speed opening Word or something similar.

Edward
I feel your pain, more than you can ever know...  but.  After the chips fall, and all the software is running smoothly (i.e. by January...)  you may want to reconsider, solely on the speed and size advantages of the thing.  It's half the size of Leopard (read: you get 5-7GB more room on your disk) and it's quite a bit faster.  There are some really nice little features, too, in Finder and a few other apps, especially for photographers.

My old auntie said it one way- never say never.  My buddy Nick says it another- if you stay in this digital game long enough, it'll make a fool of anybody!

Ted Dillard

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2009, 04:36:04 pm »

Quote from: E_Edwards

Edward

I agree OS updates should be approached cautiously.  As far as not doing anything at all, while this one seems to be mostly "under the hood" type of stuff,  Photoshop is running noticeably faster with many functions, including but not limited to launch time.  CaptureOne also appears to be faster.  We're talking seconds for many functions, not milliseconds, but I'm working with 16 bit layered p45 and p65 files.  Could be less apparent with smaller image files. One of the touted changes was better utilization of multi-core processors.  I probably won't upgrade my main workstation (dual quad core) for a while, but I may do some speed tests before and after just to satisfy my curiosity.

Overall computer feels "snappier" with most apps, including safari and the finder.  One example I noticed is previews in the finder seem to load much faster, especially if looking at a .cr2 file.  

So far have worked with CS4 (no problems), CaptureOne 4.8.1 (no problems), LR 2.4 in 64bit (no problems), several non-photography related apps (no problems).

I had to reinstall drivers for the Epson 7900 (still had 6.11 and the install seem to have lost the profiles).  The 6.55 driver resolved that and printed fine from CS4.  Haven't tried printing from LR yet.  Somehow the monitor reverted to the factory profile but that may have been something I did and wasn't caused by the install .. don't know

EyeOne Match required Rosetta to be installed, which was done automatically, then launched fine.  I didn't actually make a profile but it appeared to be working normally. (My copy is old, there may be an upgrade for it already.)   I'm sure a few other apps I have will require Rosetta.

Been working with it for several hours now, no problems so far.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2009, 04:55:58 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
I agree OS updates should be approached cautiously.  As far as not doing anything at all, while this one seems to be mostly "under the hood" type of stuff,  Photoshop is running noticeably faster with many functions, including but not limited to launch time.  CaptureOne also appears to be faster.  We're talking seconds for many functions, not milliseconds, but I'm working with 16 bit layered p45 and p65 files.  Could be less apparent with smaller image files. One of the touted changes was better utilization of multi-core processors.  I probably won't upgrade my main workstation (dual quad core) for a while, but I may do some speed tests before and after just to satisfy my curiosity.

Overall computer feels "snappier" with most apps, including safari and the finder.  One example I noticed is previews in the finder seem to load much faster, especially if looking at a .cr2 file.  

So far have worked with CS4 (no problems), CaptureOne 4.8.1 (no problems), LR 2.4 in 64bit (no problems), several non-photography related apps (no problems).

I had to reinstall drivers for the Epson 7900 (still had 6.11 and the install seem to have lost the profiles).  The 6.55 driver resolved that and printed fine from CS4.  Haven't tried printing from LR yet.  Somehow the monitor reverted to the factory profile but that may have been something I did and wasn't caused by the install .. don't know

EyeOne Match required Rosetta to be installed, which was done automatically, then launched fine.  I didn't actually make a profile but it appeared to be working normally. (My copy is old, there may be an upgrade for it already.)   I'm sure a few other apps I have will require Rosetta.

Been working with it for several hours now, no problems so far.

So with caution on everyone's mind, my thinking was we need some courageous guinea pigs to step up. And Wayne, you boldly went where foolish men had gone before!

Props.

And thanks for the report, glad it was a good one!

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2009, 06:06:10 pm »

y'all are brave...

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2009, 07:12:48 pm »

There is a fine line between brave and stupid.

on that note....FWIW, I just installed it on my laptop. I figured that was the safer test. It took about an hour to install (I think I left to do other work). It seems to have installed flawlessly, all programs I have tried seem to be working fine (PS, LR, Quickbooks, Word, Itunes etc.). I had to reinstall my printer driver, but that went smooth and took just a minute. The printer seems to respond quicker than it did with Tiger, but overall frankly I can't tell any difference. I would like to say that it is a hair quicker, but I'll bet that is just $30 wishful thinking.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 07:15:19 pm by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

JTFOTO

• http://
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2009, 08:50:04 pm »

10.5.7, cs4, 4.8.1 all work great without a hitch.  Why upgrade the day it comes out.  I think it is one of the dumbest things to do if you use it for work on a daily basis.  Do you want to be a photographer or computer software installer and uninstaller?  

Let guys like Steve and Doug which it's their business to figure it all out and get back to us.  They're the true hero's for us here!

Alex MacPherson

• http://alexmacpherson.com
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2009, 08:56:17 pm »

Maybe I am foolish to believe this but... c'mon Phase One has known that Snow Leopard has been coming out for quite some time.
The developer's version has been available for a long time too.

The creative world runs mostly on Mac Os. Don't you think Phase should have had their act together to get a proper update ready?
Adobe was up to speed... why not Phase?
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2009, 10:28:08 pm »

AFAIK Color managed printing is going to be very hard with legacy apps under Snow Leopard, and in particular with CS3. Enjoy.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2009, 11:19:41 pm »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix
So with caution on everyone's mind, my thinking was we need some courageous guinea pigs to step up. And Wayne, you boldly went where foolish men had gone before!

Props.

And thanks for the report, glad it was a good one!

Steve Hendrix

Quote from: jimgolden
y'all are brave...

Nothing brave or foolish here.  We have about 100 macs.  One of my "jobs" (well at least one of the things I do)  is to check out new equipment and software - just something I like doing.

Easy enough.  I operate with 2 laptops, a 13" when I'm traveling, which I then clone over to a 17" when not traveling.  Since I just got back a few days ago, my laptop is completely backed up and cloned on the 13".    If the whole thing crashes and dies I can just clone back over, or for that matter just fire the 13" back up.

I'm not sure when I'll put Snow Leopard on my main workstation, but I'll run with it for a while on the laptop.  (I say that but after one full day and zero problems ... maybe not much reason to wait.)

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2009, 05:52:39 am »

WAIT a few months! 10.5 really did not get up to speed till 10.5.7. There are days I really wonder what is in MACs mind??? The latest Mac Pro towers only offer FW 800 & USB 2.0? What about eSATA? I really think the future of FW is limited! Back to Snow Leopard can we wait a few months before they get the bugs out! CP Pro 4.8 is working really well on 10.5.7 WHY would I RISK the latest SL!
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2009, 06:18:49 am »

Quote from: mcfoto
WAIT a few months! 10.5 really did not get up to speed till 10.5.7. There are days I really wonder what is in MACs mind??? The latest Mac Pro towers only offer FW 800 & USB 2.0? What about eSATA? I really think the future of FW is limited! Back to Snow Leopard can we wait a few months before they get the bugs out! CP Pro 4.8 is working really well on 10.5.7 WHY would I RISK the latest SL!
Denis

Well with a separate bootable 10.5.8 HD there is no risk involved really. Any hassles with Snow Leopard and it's a simple reboot back to Leopard! :-)

It is a LOT faster!!  

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2009, 07:48:58 am »

There is no risk if you have a cloned leopard on a external drive and the off chance you need to get back is very easy. The trick is have backups ready and waiting and really have 2 of them on different externals, Or a simple case of making a drive into two partitions one for Snow leaopard and one for Leopard. You can work in your old OS while you update and smooth out any issues with Snow Leopard. Also many reports around that folks that did load Snow Leopard with C1 already on their machine they have had no issues with the license. Highly recommend carbon cloner for all the backup stuff , never had a issue with it and use it regularly for incremental backups and full bootable backups. They only issue I have really seen so far is printers but they are already getting drivers out in most cases
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

Snook

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2009, 09:34:45 am »

Quote from: mcfoto
Denis

I just installed eSATA (2 of them) in my MacPro Tower...:+}
Cost about 30.00
Snook

Hywel

• http://www.restrainedelegance.com
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2009, 02:12:06 pm »

I've just installed Snow Leopard on my laptop (saving the big install on the Mac Pro for a while!)

Phocus seems to be having an odd problem- the file system section of the browser tab doesn't show the Mac HD. It seems to see mounted drives (eg the drive image for Phocus install) OK, but not the system drive.

Is anyone else getting that? Makes it a bit tricky to navigate around your files!

Other than that it seems to be working OK so far.

Hywel Phillips

ctz

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2009, 02:18:27 pm »

Quote from: Snook
I just installed eSATA (2 of them) in my MacPro Tower...:+}
Cost about 30.00
Snook

cool!
some details, please...

Snook

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2009, 02:44:52 pm »

Quote from: ctz
cool!
some details, please...

Not sure what details but here is what I bought..
I have a little older MacPro 2.66 ghrz model and install this which allows 2 esata ports. I think the newer one only allow one but not sure.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/MPQXES2/

Good Luck
Snook..
PS.  eSata flies!! by the way. they also make an esata for the MacBook Pro older models with the PCI slot which I am using the SSD 49 gig hard drive set up mention in another thread here..:+}

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2009, 02:52:11 pm »

Just updated to Snow Leopard.
Sinar eXposure 6.2 and Photoshop CS4 seem to work normally after quick test.
I had to update Little Snitch to the latest beta version (which is Snow compatible).
And my mail program (Thunderbird) is suddenly displaying Russian text properly!
Was nice to get 10GB of disk space back too.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2009, 03:02:51 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
Nothing brave or foolish here.  We have about 100 macs.  One of my "jobs" (well at least one of the things I do)  is to check out new equipment and software - just something I like doing.

Easy enough.  I operate with 2 laptops, a 13" when I'm traveling, which I then clone over to a 17" when not traveling.  Since I just got back a few days ago, my laptop is completely backed up and cloned on the 13".    If the whole thing crashes and dies I can just clone back over, or for that matter just fire the 13" back up.

I'm not sure when I'll put Snow Leopard on my main workstation, but I'll run with it for a while on the laptop.  (I say that but after one full day and zero problems ... maybe not much reason to wait.)

And Wayne  - I did not mean to imply it was foolish to do so - rather it's perceived that way. The props were for checking it out regardless of the prevailing (wisdom). As long as you're not loading on a critical computer why not take it around the block and see how it does?

Steve Hendrix
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 03:03:14 pm by Steve Hendrix »
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up