Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad HCD 28mm/f4.0 compatibility  (Read 4446 times)

matthewturley

• matthewturley.com
Hasselblad HCD 28mm/f4.0 compatibility
« on: August 27, 2009, 07:32:28 pm »

The Hasselblad HCD 28mm lens is listed as compatible with the H3D, but not with the film magazine.  Does this mean the camera will refuse to fire with said combination, or will it simply crop the image?

thanks,
-Matthew

Paul_Claesson_HasselbladUS

• http://www.hasselbladusa.com
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 10:06:50 am »

Quote from: matthewturley
The Hasselblad HCD 28mm lens is listed as compatible with the H3D, but not with the film magazine.  Does this mean the camera will refuse to fire with said combination, or will it simply crop the image?

thanks,
-Matthew

Matthew

The HCD 28mm is a digital lens with an image circle covering the 49x37mm sensor. It will work with the H3D camera with the digital magazine. The H3D (3rd generation) will accept a HM16-32 film magazine whereas the H3DII will not. When the 28mm on the H3D with a film magazine is used you will receive a message on the LCD display on the H grip stating "Lens not compatible".

Paul Claesson
Technical Support Manager
Hasselblad Hasselblad Bron Inc.
support@hasselbladbron.com or
pclaesson@hasselbladbron.com
800-367-6434 x303

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of Hasselblad.

matthewturley

• matthewturley.com
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 12:09:49 pm »

Thanks Paul.

So...just to clarify, using an H3D + HM16-32, and receiving a 'Lens not compatible' message will prevent the camera from actually taking a photograph?

If so, why?  It's such a disappointment to have equipment dictate what can and cannot be done, especially when it otherwise would work if not for a few lines of firmware code.  If it crops, let it crop - I don't care.  I just want to shoot film when needed.  Sure, alert me with a message when I attach the lens or something, that'd be helpful - but shutting me down?  Ouch!!!

This locking-out business within Hasselblad's H system (and I'm not talking now about the locking-out of 3rd party digital backs), is completely bewildering to me, and incidentally the only reason I've hesitated to go all out with one the newest H3DII setups.  Hasselblad builds a beautiful 645 system with room for incredible versatility, and then discontinues / un-'compatibilizes' support for the very film format the camera was designed around, and a lot of us still shoot film for a living.

I'd say let your customers decide what they want to do with their cameras.  I know you'll sell at least two more that way

</rant>

Thanks for listening,
-Matthew

Paul_Claesson_HasselbladUS

• http://www.hasselbladusa.com
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 03:35:01 pm »

Quote from: matthewturley
Thanks Paul.

So...just to clarify, using an H3D + HM16-32, and receiving a 'Lens not compatible' message will prevent the camera from actually taking a photograph?

If so, why?  It's such a disappointment to have equipment dictate what can and cannot be done, especially when it otherwise would work if not for a few lines of firmware code.  If it crops, let it crop - I don't care.  I just want to shoot film when needed.  Sure, alert me with a message when I attach the lens or something, that'd be helpful - but shutting me down?  Ouch!!!

This locking-out business within Hasselblad's H system (and I'm not talking now about the locking-out of 3rd party digital backs), is completely bewildering to me, and incidentally the only reason I've hesitated to go all out with one the newest H3DII setups.  Hasselblad builds a beautiful 645 system with room for incredible versatility, and then discontinues / un-'compatibilizes' support for the very film format the camera was designed around, and a lot of us still shoot film for a living.

I'd say let your customers decide what they want to do with their cameras.  I know you'll sell at least two more that way

</rant>

Thanks for listening,
-Matthew

Matthew

It may help if I discuss the product line and options.

If you wish to have a fully integrated DSLR, the H3DII is far and away the best option where a Digital magazine is mated to a specific H3DII body. When i say mated, i mean that Hasselblad calibrates the CCD from it's digital magazine to a particular H body. For those of you that already own an H3D/H3DII if you enter the Digital Menu navigate to Settings > About, you will see "Focus Calibration ID". With this in place Hasselblad can implement Ultrafocus of which there are two additional levels.

A. Aperture dependant focus adjustment
The best focus position is dependant on the shooting aperture. The camera will automatically compensate (i.e. make a focus adjustment) depending on the aperture selected. We are talking on the order 2 to 8 microns. Considering the  pixel wells on a 50 and 60mp sensor is 6um, I think this is very important.

B. The influence of the cover and filter glass of the sensor on the focus position
All HC lenses except for the HCD 28 and HCD 35-90, have optically been designed to be used with film. As a result of the high optical quality they also perform extremely well with digital capture. The HCD 28 and 35-90 mm lenses are optically designed with digital capture in mind taking the effect of the cover glass and IR filter into account.

If you wish to have the flexibility then the H2F is your best options. The H2F is a hybrid comfortable in the film world when using the HM16-32 film magazine as it is in the digital realm using a CFII39 or CFII39MS.

If you are using a CF/CFII back with the H2F, you can use the HVD90x viewfinder and the HC and HCD (28mm and 35-90mm) lenses. You can still take advantage of all the DAC corrections.
Level 1: Chromatic aberration correction
Level 2: Distortion correction
Level 3: Vignetting correction (there is a slider available with 0 (no correction) to 100 (full correction).

The primary advantage of using a CF/CFII back is the use of i-adapters. i-adapters are user interchangable adapters for various camera systems such Mamiya RZ, 645 AFDII, Contax 645, Rollei 6000, Hasselblad V and H mount etc.

Lastly, there is an inherent advantage for the photographer when a company designs and manufactures a camera and digital back, writes the firmware that drives these components and also writes the software - Phocus or Flexcolor. A photographer has full control over the camera from the software, the most obvious is setting the aperture and shutter speed. Wouldn't it be nice to manual or auto focus or set the metering mode or the program mode, how about adjusting the EV, all the these features are available in Phocus. The option to select mirror up is sweet. The Live Video is very easy to use and yes you can adjust focus from the software (Yes, i know it is not available for the 50, no need to point this out) but it is available for the 16, 22, 31 and 39mp backs.

I firmly believe that Hasselblad is trying create the best digital platform - period. This is in keeping with our legacy, it is about the image quality.

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA
Paul Claesson
Technical Support Manager
Hasselblad Hasselblad Bron Inc.
support@hasselbladbron.com or
pclaesson@hasselbladbron.com
800-367-6434 x303

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of Hasselblad.
Pages: [1]   Go Up