Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The English Holiday  (Read 4452 times)

Ed Blagden

The English Holiday
« on: August 27, 2009, 01:43:57 pm »

I shot this a few weeks ago in Lyme Regis (anyone remember The French Lieutenant's Woman? There).  I sort of like it.  Or is it just me?

[attachment=16252:The_Engl...day_3907.jpg]

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
The English Holiday
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 02:19:46 pm »

Ed, I love it! Martin Parr rides again!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

button

• http://
The English Holiday
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 02:43:35 pm »

Yep, that's a winner.  I like the asymmetry united by repeating forms and lines: the diagonal of the umbrealla and tether cord, the verticals of the curtains and wood in the door, etc.  And, you have it nicely framed with a "stone matte."  Finally, you've blended both high and low key elements.  

Very good work!

John

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
The English Holiday
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 03:08:38 pm »

This is proof that there's never a bad time of the day for photography.  Great shot.

pete_truman

• http://www.ifootpath.com
The English Holiday
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 05:13:24 pm »

It's also proof that an English holiday is not always drizzling rain and damp fish and chips  
Pete Truman

ChrisJR

The English Holiday
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 05:34:05 pm »

Quote from: pete_truman
It's also proof that an English holiday is not always drizzling rain and damp fish and chips  
For at least one week, maximum two each year

John R

The English Holiday
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 09:58:56 pm »

Like the balance of the pastels, blue and pink. You managed to tame the shadows and incorporate them without too much harshness. Very nice work.

JMR
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 06:47:58 am by John R »

Ed Blagden

The English Holiday
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 05:16:51 am »

Thanks all for the kind comments.  This critique forum is proving to be a huge help to me - I'm not sure if it is making me any better as a photographer, but it is certainly helping me identify the better shots after I have taken them.  This learning is a two way thing - I get it from comments about my own stuff, but also from the thought process involved in me making comments about other people's stuff.

In other words, the more you put in the more you get out; rather like life.

Ed

LoisWakeman

The English Holiday
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 05:49:31 am »

I do remember it - and live a mile and a half away - and this is just lovely. They have tarted up the seafront so you can more practically take candids like this (not that I do, as I am never happy pointing my camera at people I don't know - so I admire those who do have the confidence.)

Before the engineering works, there was a big sea wall and it was hard to get far enough away from the huts without falling off a 2m drop. The huts were also painted by their owners rather than the Council - as you see below. (From 2002. I liked these 3 huts, which were like jolly friends nattering in a long row of dark brown huts. Now they are all painted like little ice cream parlours!)

cmi

The English Holiday
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 07:28:03 am »

Quote from: Ed B
...I'm not sure if it is making me any better as a photographer, but it is certainly helping me identify the better shots after I have taken them.  ...

Haha, very good, the first half-sentence! It (the forum) helped me to look more considering through the viewfinder so it was helpful - but nevertheless what I have is what I have (or what I don't have it what I don't have) and that won't be altered by a forum! (At least not fundamentally.)

button

The English Holiday
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 11:27:02 am »

Quote from: Christian Miersch
nevertheless what I have is what I have (or what I don't have it what I don't have) and that won't be altered by a forum! (At least not fundamentally.)

Christian, you may be right about that, but I hope not.  I really do feel like I've improved as a photographer by participating here, because I'm starting to take my critique process to what I see through the viewfinder before I trip the shutter.  A few months or so ago, I asked how does one look objectively at his or her photos?  I think the answer for me is simple:  just keep working at it.  

So, although one's artistic vision might not change, I think that his or her wholehearted participation here can certainly clarify it.

John

shutterpup

The English Holiday
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 01:28:14 pm »

On my monitor, this photo is very bright; either that or my eyes are just very sensitive to light today. My first reaction was "Wow, that's really bright!"  Brightness aside, I love the photo, the coloring and the composition.

cmi

The English Holiday
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 03:51:26 pm »

Quote from: button
Christian, you may be right about that, but I hope not.  I really do feel like I've improved as a photographer by participating here, because I'm starting to take my critique process to what I see through the viewfinder before I trip the shutter.  A few months or so ago, I asked how does one look objectively at his or her photos?  I think the answer for me is simple:  just keep working at it.  

So, although one's artistic vision might not change, I think that his or her wholehearted participation here can certainly clarify it.

John

Yes

RSL

The English Holiday
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 10:00:38 pm »

Ed, I never did ask you whether or not you're familiar with Martin Parr's work. I just assumed you were since this is so much like some of his best. Are you?

Ed Blagden

The English Holiday
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 01:39:18 am »

Quote from: RSL
Ed, I never did ask you whether or not you're familiar with Martin Parr's work. I just assumed you were since this is so much like some of his best. Are you?

Russ,

I was not familiar with him, but after you mentioned him upthread I became curious so I looked at his website.  I love it.  There is something very English about his work; quirky, understated, a subcurrent of humour, a love of the everyday and the mundane, and he never takes himself too seriously.  

So no, I was not inspired by or trying to imitate Martin Parr when I made this shot, but having looked at his stuff I'm hooked.  Thanks for pointing me in this direction.

Ed

Edit reason: grammar malfunction
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 01:41:32 am by Ed B »

Ed Blagden

The English Holiday
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 01:59:20 am »

Quote from: shutterpup
On my monitor, this photo is very bright; either that or my eyes are just very sensitive to light today. My first reaction was "Wow, that's really bright!"  Brightness aside, I love the photo, the coloring and the composition.

Pup,

Well the scene was pretty bright, taken at 2.30 on a sunny day, with lots of washed out pastel surfaces.  Indeed, in a conventional sense it is "bad" light but for this scene the light worked well.  I could have done a lot of post processing to tone things down but in this case I didn't because I think it would have taken something away from the scene.

Having said that, it doesn't look unpleasantly bright on my monitor.  I wonder, is your monitor calibrated?  If not, I suggest, nay urge, you get a cheap and simple calibration tool like the Spyder 2 Express ($59 on Amazon).  It makes a world of difference when it comes to printing, sharing your own and looking at other people's images.

Ed

shutterpup

The English Holiday
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 09:17:39 am »

Pup,

Well the scene was pretty bright, taken at 2.30 on a sunny day, with lots of washed out pastel surfaces.  Indeed, in a conventional sense it is "bad" light but for this scene the light worked well.  I could have done a lot of post processing to tone things down but in this case I didn't because I think it would have taken something away from the scene.

Having said that, it doesn't look unpleasantly bright on my monitor.  I wonder, is your monitor calibrated?  If not, I suggest, nay urge, you get a cheap and simple calibration tool like the Spyder 2 Express ($59 on Amazon).  It makes a world of difference when it comes to printing, sharing your own and looking at other people's images.

Ed

Ed,
I looked at your photo again this morning, and it indeed was just my eyes. I have seizures and I'm very light sensitive at times. Yesterday was one of those times.

cmi

The English Holiday
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 11:23:11 am »

It's a picture I keep coming back and looking at. It has many things to look at and also to wonder about, and at the same time it's very clear.

//edit: I also love Russ's repeated references to other photographers. Very insightful.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 11:39:29 am by Christian Miersch »

RSL

The English Holiday
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2009, 12:30:32 pm »

Russ,

I was not familiar with him, but after you mentioned him upthread I became curious so I looked at his website.  I love it.  There is something very English about his work; quirky, understated, a subcurrent of humour, a love of the everyday and the mundane, and he never takes himself too seriously.  

So no, I was not inspired by or trying to imitate Martin Parr when I made this shot, but having looked at his stuff I'm hooked.  Thanks for pointing me in this direction.

Ed

Edit reason: grammar malfunction

Ed, No, I wasn't suggesting you were trying to copy him. I doubt anyone can do that effectively. But I thought you might be familiar with his work and influenced by it. I'd love to be able to do what he does, but he's a different personality and I don't see the world in the same way he does. Parr and Elliott Erwitt are two of my favorites. Both have a marvelous sense of humor, but their work is very different. Your description of Parr's work is right on. The word, "subtle" humor doesn't quite describe what he does. You picked the right word: "understated." I always go away laughing but can't quite put into words what I'm laughing about. As near as I can tell, his work is unique.

p.s.: The inner tube in your picture is the capper. I laugh at that, but, as in Parr's work, I'm not quite sure why.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 12:47:19 pm by RSL »
Pages: [1]   Go Up