Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Save The Leaf AFi  (Read 9306 times)

mmurph

• http://
Save The Leaf AFi
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2009, 06:15:36 pm »

Quote from: paratom
I just signed - I am no.100 !
Do I get a lens for free now?

Uh, no.  

But they will presnt you with the honor, for a limited time only, to be one of teh few to pre-order an AFi, with just a $10K non-refundable deposit. When they have collected that $10K from just 1,000 people - $10 milion total - they will start the lines and do a special run just for ypu!

Don't you feel special?  

Seriusly though, the problem is we are just creatives on the outside, not industy insiders with acess to teh finacial details.  We really don't know the margins, economics, number of products sold, break even point, etc.  Give me a good 1,000 page deck of confidential financial spreadsheets, powerpoints, and strategfic industry analysis and I can tell you what the future looks like.     The rest is just noise on our end, unfortunately.  

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Save The Leaf AFi
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 09:28:36 pm »

Hi
Jenoptik has just let go of Sinar. Before Phase bought out Leaf, Sinar was a fourth tier  MFD choice. Today it is no 3 & it would not surprise me if Sinar is a distant no 3 in comparison to Hasselblad & Phase One. Sinar has just stated that the Hy6 is over. F&H have closed the doors. If anyone a year ago predicted what has unfolded with MFD to this date we would have thought they were crazy!
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
Save The Leaf AFi
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2009, 11:01:59 pm »

I said, here, a year ago that AFi/Hy6 would probably not survive and people thought I was crazy, now it is down to a petition.
What about petition for Contax to come back?

The system was not looking forwards technology wise, and had the wrong format for existing digital backs.

But mostly it was too little too late.

Now Sony just came out with a discounted new model (DSLR-A850 24.6MP), good as an example of what the real world looks like.

We should all petition for 2% reduction in world's poverty -and child mortality- levels instead...
[font=Comic Sa

Smallcooter

Save The Leaf AFi
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2009, 11:56:11 pm »

Buying up Sinar and Leaf's existing stock of the Hy6/AFi will send a much stronger signal than signing any petition.

Companies can't survive on just "think it's a bloody good idea". Shake the moneymaker; show them the dosh.

If only the petition signatories would translate their signatures into cheques...

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Save The Leaf AFi
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2009, 12:02:58 am »

Quote from: Leonardo Barreto
I said, here, a year ago that AFi/Hy6 would probably not survive and people thought I was crazy, now it is down to a petition.

The system was not looking forwards technology wise, and had the wrong format for existing digital backs.

But mostly it was too little too late.

Now Sony just came out with a discounted new model (DSLR-A850 24.6MP), good as an example of what the real world looks like.

We should all petition for 2% reduction in world's poverty -and child mortality- levels instead...

OK so what do you want a prize? an IPA honorable mention? That we all declare that actually we were wrong to say that Rollei/Scheider optics were the best, and that the Hy6 was the most sophisticated MF camera out there and instead that really Mamiya with the slow 1/125 shutter and mirror vibration and tiny viewfinder is really a way better camera .... what were we all thinking about.  What, what?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 12:05:52 am by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

Leonardo Barreto

Save The Leaf AFi
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2009, 12:54:29 am »

Eric,

I am sorry if I upset you with my post it is not my intention, I am just the messenger here.

mcphoto said: " If anyone a year ago predicted what has unfolded with MFD to this date we would have thought they were crazy!
Denis". Yes some people could see some of it and yes, we got -and we get- a lot of heat for posting our opinion.

I wonder if everyone here wants posters to say only "positive" things, not to criticize, not to state "crazy" ideas like: -hey, this system is lacking a 28mm AND even a 35mm- because it may upset people that are busy spending $50k on such system. Even a Maserati is no good if it comes without a back-up gear.

We may never know what really killed the Afi/Hy6. You where/are correct in the points you make about the system -and about Mamiya-, but it was just not enough given the other design flaws. There is one undeniable fact: this system is now waiting for its postmortem...

Quote from: EricWHiss
OK so what do you want a prize? an IPA honorable mention? That we all declare that actually we were wrong to say that Rollei/Scheider optics were the best, and that the Hy6 was the most sophisticated MF camera out there and instead that really Mamiya with the slow 1/125 shutter and mirror vibration and tiny viewfinder is really a way better camera .... what were we all thinking about.  What, what?
[font=Comic Sa

Graham Mitchell

Save The Leaf AFi
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2009, 03:27:43 am »

Quote from: mcfoto
Sinar has just stated that the Hy6 is over.

I don't know of any statement to that effect. Got a link?

Nemo

Save The Leaf AFi
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2009, 04:51:58 am »

Graham Mitchell

Save The Leaf AFi
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2009, 05:16:32 am »

Quote from: Nemo
Bye, bye Sinar and the Hy6:

Nowhere in that article does it say that Sinar is closing or even dropping the Hy6.

paratom

Save The Leaf AFi
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2009, 05:58:08 am »

Quote from: Smallcooter
Buying up Sinar and Leaf's existing stock of the Hy6/AFi will send a much stronger signal than signing any petition.

Companies can't survive on just "think it's a bloody good idea". Shake the moneymaker; show them the dosh.

If only the petition signatories would translate their signatures into cheques...

I allready head my Hy6 but went from a Sinar54 to a Sinar75 back with Hy6-mount and the arTec.
I am aware that the used price of the Hy6 system and Sinar backs might not hold its level, but on the other side it has been priced new pretty reasonable IMO so for me I see it as a good deal as long as one doesnt plan to sell it again after 5 months.
Even when F&H had allready filed as insolvent I bought a 45 degree viewfinder from them, some month before that the Hy6-set and also a 110/2.0
So- no- I am not only signing and saying its a pretty good idea. I write it because I am convinced its a good system whith which the should be able to make money if they market it the right way.
It is not suprizing that today not many/ nobody would buy into the system as long as it is unclear if and who will continue to develop and support it.

irgendwasblaues

Save The Leaf AFi
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2009, 02:54:34 am »

Quote from: paratom
Hey,
I just signed - I am no.100 !
Do I get a lens for free now?

Frankly I am also really convinced of the AFI/Hy6.
They could improve the AF a little bit but other than that I find it perfect.
In camera metering with WLF, rotating sensor/back, some room for bigger sensors in the future, and finally those lenses!

If the system has not produced cash for SInar/Leaf than it is not the fault of the product but of the marketing etc. Thats my strong believe. Once its promoted and sold in a propper way it should generate money for Leaf/Phase/Sinar.

Cheers, Tom

Hi Tom,

the AF has been improved recently!
My AFi has been serviced lately. Now the AF is faster and much more reliable. Also does it work now in dim light situations. Last not least the AF can now be adjusted by the user himself! Try and contact your dealer ...
F+H will be working until the end of this month at least. Rumours go that they are working on a small solution which means that they run the company as a service station or so ...

Have a nice day!

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
Save The Leaf AFi
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2009, 04:57:32 am »

Quote from: Leonardo Barreto

I'm starting a petition to bring back Bronica.
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

Frank Doorhof

Save The Leaf AFi
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2009, 02:03:08 pm »

I want Michael Jackson and Freddie Mercury back.....

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
Save The Leaf AFi
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2009, 02:05:48 pm »

Yeahhh! Mercury and the Hy6

Quote from: Frank Doorhof
I want Michael Jackson and Freddie Mercury back.....

Leonardo Barreto

Save The Leaf AFi
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2009, 10:32:31 am »

mmm Petition to bring the mighty Aztek to the good old Pontiac guys

Quote from: uaiomex
Yeahhh! Mercury and the Hy6
[font=Comic Sa

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
Save The Leaf AFi
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2009, 11:24:58 am »

maybe red should think about  making their next generation with  hy6/afi/ contax adapters..
might be a good home for these great lenses.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up