Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Notice of Execution  (Read 1526 times)

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
Notice of Execution
« on: August 26, 2009, 03:56:30 am »

I found this while wandering a small Town in France.  With my poor grasp of the French language I thought this was a sign at the spot of the event  - but later translation does not bear that out.  It appears this sign is located on the courtyard wall of the house where this fellow had lived.

[attachment=16231:B_W_Exec...n_notice.jpg]

Andrew
[size=12p

button

• http://
Notice of Execution
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 11:55:37 pm »

I'll take a shot at this.  I'm going to make some assumptions below, so please correct me when I'm wrong... after all, making assumptions just makes an ass out of "u" (that would be me) and "mption", right?

Because I see a bit of sky peeking over the top stone wall in the upper left corner, I'm guessing that some limitation (you weren't allowed to get closer, for example) prevented you from framing this shot in the way you wanted.  Or not.  Was that done purposefully?

I'm also guessing that the repetition of the sign created by the lighter stone bottom left caught your eye, as did the slightly darker set of smaller stones mid right.  You've arranged a triangle between these three elements.

Finally, you've in a way framed the upper edge of the sign with shadow, top left.

Overall, I think your idea has potential, but right now I'm not tasting the sauce, only its ingredients.  What am I missing here?

John
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 12:08:03 am by button »

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
Notice of Execution
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 04:32:08 am »

Quote from: button
I'll take a shot at this.  I'm going to make some assumptions below, so please correct me when I'm wrong... after all, making assumptions just makes an ass out of "u" (that would be me) and "mption", right?

Because I see a bit of sky peeking over the top stone wall in the upper left corner, I'm guessing that some limitation (you weren't allowed to get closer, for example) prevented you from framing this shot in the way you wanted.  Or not.  Was that done purposefully?

I'm also guessing that the repetition of the sign created by the lighter stone bottom left caught your eye, as did the slightly darker set of smaller stones mid right.  You've arranged a triangle between these three elements.

Finally, you've in a way framed the upper edge of the sign with shadow, top left.

Overall, I think your idea has potential, but right now I'm not tasting the sauce, only its ingredients.  What am I missing here?

John

John:

The point of this photo for me was the historical context.  Not too many Canadians executed by the Nazis in Canada (Normandy was another matter) so this really caught my eye.  The darker point of the triangle you pointed out are holes/gaps in the mortar/stone and, and appeared to me to be bullet holes in the wall.  When I came across this sign I thought the fellow had been executed at this spot and it was something I wanted my kids to see and appreciate for what they have in Canada.

There were no access limitations - you could walk right up to the wall - As for the sliver of sky, in framing the shot I attempted to exclude the sky but my 40D is a 98% coverage (or 95%?) so I came close in my field estimate and did not think it too big a deal but I quickly cropped it out.

Andrew

[attachment=16327:B_W_Exec...n_notice.jpg]
[size=12p
Pages: [1]   Go Up