Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Custom papers in printer, not driver  (Read 1703 times)

walter.sk

Z3100 Custom papers in printer, not driver
« on: August 25, 2009, 09:59:32 pm »

I had upgraded my firmware and drivers months ago on my Z3100PS GP.  Subsequently, I went through 2 rolls of HP paper with no problems.  Today I loaded the remainder of an Epson Premium Luster roll, which I had previously calibrated and profiled.  I recalibrated the paper today from the Printer Utility.  In CS4 I optimized a file and softproofed it with the Epson Premium Luster Profile, in the usual manner.  In Qimage I brought up the Printer Driver (the latest iteration) and all of my custom papers were gone.

I looked on the printer's Paper submenu, and found all of my custom papers and profiles, on the printer.  I can not figure out how to get them to appear in the printer driver.  The ICC profiles do appear in Qimage as well, in Windows\system32\spool\drivers\color, as usual. At the bottom of the printer driver window was the following message, in red:  "[1/1] Status And Service unavailable.  Device may be offline or unreachable at this time."

I tried rebooting the printer and the computer.  I used APS to reprofile the paper, which APS recognized.  APS also found the calibration OK, and proceded to profile the paper and place a new profile in the Color folder.  However, the printer driver still had no clue as to my custom papers.  The same message appeared at the bottom of the driver page.  I was able to print using an HP paper, so I know that the printer, driver and firmware are communicating.

Where did the list of custom papers go, if they were on my computer? Or, why can't the driver find them if APS is able to?

Man, this "user friendly" equipment has me stymied!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 10:01:23 pm by walter.sk »

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 04:08:54 am »

Quote from: walter.sk
Where did the list of custom papers go, if they were on my computer? Or, why can't the driver find them if APS is able to?

Man, this "user friendly" equipment has me stymied!

There have been more reports of similar issues with the latest firmware and drivers of the Z3100. I have had the same issue but by really switching off the printer and powering it up again + a paper preset synchronisation in Printer Utility it all came back. I actually had a similar experience with the Z3200-PS so I think it is something more general with the network control of the HP software.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 09:32:13 am »

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
I have had the same issue but by really switching off the printer and powering it up again + a paper preset synchronisation in Printer Utility it all came back. I actually had a similar experience with the Z3200-PS so I think it is something more general with the network control of the HP software.
Thanks, Ernst.  I could not access the paper preset synchronization in my Printer Utility.  Out of desperation I reinstalled the printer firmware and rebooted the printer and computer.  Now I was able to access the paper preset synchronization and my custom papers came back.

I am still getting the Status Unavailable message, but I can print, so I ignore it.  I don't know how to fix that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up