Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schneider True-Pol  (Read 2526 times)

guyharrison

Schneider True-Pol
« on: August 25, 2009, 05:24:18 pm »

Hi,

I shoot outdoors and the polarizer is my main filter.  I get the best I can find and previously used B+W.  I saw the Schneiter true-pol advertised as 12 times more effective than other polarizers.  I have seen from film forums that people like them but no real feedback as to whether they are better than other filters.

I don't mind the 4x4 square as my lenses run from 72 to 95mm and I use 4x6 grads all the time. so I have a rotating holder.  If this filter does give me noticeably better polarization in more conditions then I would definitely be interested.

Anyone have experience with this filter and how it compares?

Thanks

Guy

DarkPenguin

Schneider True-Pol
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 05:54:10 pm »

Quote from: guyharrison
I saw the Schneiter true-pol advertised as 12 times more effective than other polarizers.

How are they measuring that?

guyharrison

Schneider True-Pol
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 06:28:40 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
How are they measuring that?
I don't know, but it comes from a "white paper" on their site.  Because it's Schneider I give the benefit of the doubt that maybe they are better that others in some way, but I wanted to get feedback from someone who has actually used it or who knows someone who has.

Guy

ternst

Schneider True-Pol
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 07:35:17 pm »

Hey Guy, I have the True-pol and use it with my Mamiya 28mm and Nikon 14-24. No way it is "12 times more effective" - that is just marketing BS. I have never done a head-to-head comparison but I doubt you would see much difference between it and your B+W (probably are the same glass to begin with). This filter is VERY thick, but then I guess it is actually thinner than the B+W since it is not mounted - just two very thick sheets of glass.

Tim Ernst in Arkansas

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Schneider True-Pol
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 01:11:38 am »

Doesn't Schneider make the B&W Kassemann filters?  I was under the impression that they were similar - except for the ones advertised water white. But I've been wrong before...    Certainly the B&W Kassemann filter I have is the best polarizer I've used so far.  I was using a cross polarizing lighting technique a while back and the B&W was the only one that completely eliminated the reflections from glossy painting surfaces.  But I have not tried the Schneider... to see if its better or not.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 01:13:58 am by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Schneider True-Pol
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 05:42:03 am »

Quote from: ternst
Hey Guy, I have the True-pol and use it with my Mamiya 28mm and Nikon 14-24. No way it is "12 times more effective" - that is just marketing BS. I have never done a head-to-head comparison but I doubt you would see much difference between it and your B+W (probably are the same glass to begin with). This filter is VERY thick, but then I guess it is actually thinner than the B+W since it is not mounted - just two very thick sheets of glass.

Tim Ernst in Arkansas

Tim, care to share how you are mounting the filter on the 14-24?

Cheers,
Bernard

ternst

Schneider True-Pol
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 06:45:20 am »

Bernard:

The filter is taped to the front of a Cokin X-Pro holder and then slipped over the lens until the front of the lens hood touches the filter. On the Mamiya 28mm I made a foam donut that I attached inside the back of the filter holder (instead of using the universal mount), and that fits over the lens hood by friction - then I could rotate it as needed. With the Nikon I just layered some strips of velcro around the back of the lens hood and on the inside of the filter holder. What I found was that no matter what the light direction, the polarizer was most effective when it was straight up and down on the holder - no rotation needed. That is a good thing since you do get dark corners with the filter on a fullframe Nikon when you rotate it - but none when the filter is used straight up an down. It is an expensive, sloppy, and bulky system but does work on a fullframe Nikon or with the Mamiya and a P-45+.

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
Schneider True-Pol
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 08:05:44 am »

Käsemann Polarizers aren't better in polarizing, they are rather better constructed, so that the single layers wouldn't come apart, especially when used in humid conditions.
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

guyharrison

Schneider True-Pol
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 09:42:12 am »

Quote from: ternst

Tim Ernst in Arkansas

Tim,

Thanks for the feedback.  Sounds like I might spring for one because in the end it would be cheaper than several different sized B+W rotating filters.

Guy

ternst

Schneider True-Pol
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 12:29:21 pm »

There's no doubt it is a great polarizer - my only issue is that I have to hold my breath every time I take it out of the box to use it - I've already dropped one and it shattered on the rocks below - a $400 oops! For all of my other lenses in three camera systems I just use step-up rings and so only need a single polarizer that fits them all...
Pages: [1]   Go Up