Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PhaseOne/P65+ questions  (Read 4241 times)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
PhaseOne/P65+ questions
« on: August 25, 2009, 02:14:27 am »

I've had my new system for a few weeks now.  The back seems a little sluggish ... when I press a button often it seems to take a few seconds.  Don't know if the large files make things a little sluggish.  Maybe it's the speed of the card?

Also curious if the 80mm kit lens with the extension tubes might be OK for macro .... really prefer buying another wide angle instead of the 120mm macro.  I don't do much macro but like to have something available for those rare occasions.

RobertJ

PhaseOne/P65+ questions
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 02:50:15 am »

For rare macro occasions, you could buy a used Mamiya 120mm f/4 APO manual focus lens at KEH.com for under $400 in excellent+ condition.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 02:50:33 am by T-1000 »

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
PhaseOne/P65+ questions
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 03:27:33 am »

Quote from: T-1000
For rare macro occasions, you could buy a used Mamiya 120mm f/4 APO manual focus lens at KEH.com for under $400 in excellent+ condition.

I don't know but on my back nothing is "sluggish". I'm using Extrem III 16Gb cards and it feels just like the old P45 in handling.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

scott morrish

PhaseOne/P65+ questions
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 03:44:04 am »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
The back seems a little sluggish ... when I press a button often it seems to take a few seconds.  Don't know if the large files make things a little sluggish.  Maybe it's the speed of the card?

The cards i am using are Sandiscs Extreme IV, or lexars X300, and I've not noticed any significant difference from the P45+ really. I'm using an H1 for now... if that makes any difference? It is never fast... but it is not really sluggish either.
Scott

Henry Goh

PhaseOne/P65+ questions
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 03:54:54 am »

I just received 2 new units of Mamiya Pro A 120mm f/4 Macro lens. I'm keeping 1 for myself and am willing to sell the other for just $450 + shipping and 3% for Paypal. If interested PM me.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
PhaseOne/P65+ questions
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 09:15:36 am »

I've had my new system for a few weeks now.  The back seems a little sluggish ... when I press a button often it seems to take a few seconds.  Don't know if the large files make things a little sluggish.  Maybe it's the speed of the card?

Also curious if the 80mm kit lens with the extension tubes might be OK for macro .... really prefer buying another wide angle instead of the 120mm macro.  I don't do much macro but like to have something available for those rare occasions.

Wayne

What CF card are you using?

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
PhaseOne/P65+ questions
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 10:33:57 am »

Wayne, mine is not sluggish at all.  I'm using an H2 with Extreme IV card, Eleanor

Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
PhaseOne/P65+ questions
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 10:47:36 am »

That body and back combo can do some pretty amazing macro work. I just completed a project working at between 2X and 8X using enlarging and microscope lenses. Here's a rundown.

Of course that's not very relevant to the conversation at hand since it's way more extreme of macro than needed. If I had to choose between an extension ring and a 120mm (old style) macro lens for occasional macro work I would choose the dedicated lens. However, I don't see either choice as being "bad" - just my preference. The longer focal length will also give you a greater working distance which makes it easier to light/compose.

The multi-second access time doesnt sound right at all. The P65+ should be more slightly faster and more responsive than previous P1 backs to bring up and scroll through your images. I'd work with your dealer to figure out if it's the CF card, firmware, or something else. In any case they should be able to fix you up right away. (if they can't I'm also happy to help)

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 10:48:58 am by dougpetersonci »

Gary Ferguson

• http://
PhaseOne/P65+ questions
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 11:28:48 am »

I'm finding my new P65+ is zipping along nicely (Sandisc Extreme IV), fully up to P45+ speeds.

However, I'm getting about one shot in ten ruined by horizontal, multi-coloured bands (in landscape format shots). Anyone any ideas on what I should be doing differently?

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
PhaseOne/P65+ questions
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 11:39:01 am »

Quote from: Gary Ferguson
However, I'm getting about one shot in ten ruined by horizontal, multi-coloured bands (in landscape format shots). Anyone any ideas on what I should be doing differently?

Is this shooting tethered or to the CF card?

We have many P65+ users and I can tell you from their real-world experience that the system should be rock solid, very fast, and unbelievably powerful. If it's not there is a specific problem (whether with the back or an accessory such as a FW cable) which can/should be fixed.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe

Gary Ferguson

PhaseOne/P65+ questions
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 11:51:52 am »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
Is this shooting tethered or to the CF card?

We have many P65+ users and I can tell you from their real-world experience that the system should be rock solid, very fast, and unbelievably powerful. If it's not there is a specific problem (whether with the back or an accessory such as a FW cable) which can/should be fixed.

Hello Doug, the problem occured with a Sandisc 8GB Extreme IV CF card on a P1 645 with different Phase One lenses, the card's from my P45+, but was reformatted before use. The problem is a variable width white band that runs right across the shot, containing multiple thin bands of different but solid colours. Anything else I should try before concluding there's a fault and sending the back/body back to the dealer?

Thanks

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
PhaseOne/P65+ questions
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 12:15:59 pm »

when I press a button often it seems to take a few seconds.  Don't know if the large files make things a little sluggish.  Maybe it's the speed of the card?

What camera are you using...P1?  Are you talking shutter lag or write speed to the card after the full shutter cycle/exposure? When you say "a few seconds" are you talking about how long it takes for the image to come up on the LCD after the shot? What is your shutter speed? If you are shooting longer exposures, the black noise compensation takes the shutter speed + a second black exposure equal to the length of the open shutter. I'm presuming this isn't what you are referring to?

Gary Ferguson

PhaseOne/P65+ questions
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 12:16:25 pm »

Wayne, my apologies I'm hi-jacking your post, please ignore my question (I'll try a different card and if the problem persists send it back-thank goodness for three year warranties!)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
PhaseOne/P65+ questions
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 04:10:54 pm »

Thanks for all the responses ...

I'm using a newer card, not sure of the type.  I"ll check it.  However, I should have been a little more specific ... sorry.

An example, I'll press the menu button and nothing happens so I'll press it again, and suddenly both presses are accepted and I'm one menu too far.  When doing things in the menu's I'll think I didn't press the button because nothing happens.

If I'm looking at an image on the back, and I want to move from one view to another or change the info I'm seeing (ex. show the histogram or move to zoom mode), pressing the button seems to not work, but a second press gives me both actions.  I almost have to start pressing the button and keep pressing it to cycle through to where I want to end up.  I didn't know if the back is just a little sluggish (compared to my p45) or if perhaps the buttons might have a problem. Sounds like it may be the buttons ...

Thanks for the tips on the macro.  didn't realize the 120mm could be had for that reasonable of a price.  That's about what it costs for a couple of the extension tubes.  I'll take a second look at that option.

narikin

PhaseOne/P65+ questions
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 05:54:35 pm »

I'm on my 4th Phase back, and if you count in loaners, its about my 7th.

if your issue is sluggish response to the input buttons, then: yes some buttons have different sensitivity to pressing - hard ones that need a really firm, clear press and other that you just brush and you get a double entry. luckily my current back is just right, though I've had all shades. complain if thats the problem - its easy to swap out.

if your issue is not buttons, but the back itself, then something is up.
firstly eliminate the camera and its AF. set it to manual focus and continuous drive. better or not?
make sure you have a freshly formatted fast card, though the P65+ internal RAM is very big, and should cover you well.

something close to this should be possible:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKZe7M1h_G0
thats certainly not sluggish!
Pages: [1]   Go Up