Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Used MF Equipment in Toronto  (Read 1301 times)

MyEcholalia

• http://
Used MF Equipment in Toronto
« on: August 25, 2009, 01:10:47 am »

Hi all,

I am fortunate enough to visit friends in Toronto in about 2 weeks and would like to use the opportunity to hunt for a used Mamiya M645 50mm Shift Lens and a Mamiya Electromagnetic Cable Release for my AFD II. These items are not to be had for reasonable prices in Germany. I checked out KEH.com, and they would have the items, but my friend in Toronto advises not to import from the US due to high taxes/customs.

Does anybody have an idea what shops to go to in Toronto to find the lens and cable release? Any online stores comparable to KEH? Ebay.ca currently does not look good either. Any help is much appreciated!

Best regards, Thorsten
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 01:11:41 am by MyEcholalia »

Conner999

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 12:04:49 pm »

Harry's Pro shop
Henry's
Vistek

No KEH equivalent in Canada. Prices, new or used, WILL be higher, sometimes laughingly so,  than from US and selection more limited. With CDN $$ so close to US, I'd suggest having your friends order gear you want from US for delivery to them and you pay them when you arrive.  You'll get what you want faster and far cheaper. KEH or B&H out of NYC are reliable, fast and have a good selection.

- NO DUTIES on lenses or cameras, only modest vat (no more than 13%).  Same tax would be paid if bought IN Canada.

- Avoid shipping UPS if can as they charge a $%^& 'brokerage fee' not charged by USPS. However, if must ship UPS (e.g. KEH) , chose World Wide Saver or Premium/Priority (can't recall actual name)  higher-end service as no brokerage fee.   UPS or Fedex will have to Toronto with days, USPS Global Priority, etc can take a week or so.

CDN market is just too small for good used gear selections and prices, unless a private sale, are almost always much higher than from US - new or used. I almost always buy my gear from US as 99.99% of time is significantly cheaper after shipping.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 12:17:02 pm by Conner999 »

MyEcholalia

• http://
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 01:32:33 am »

Conner, thanks a lot for your detailed reply. I will go with your advise and order from the US and have things shipped to my friend's house. Thanks you very much for your time.

Regards, Thorsten

Conner999

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 07:52:20 am »

No worries.  You'll save yourself a lot of $$ and time trying to find elusive (and over-priced gear) gear that could otherwise be spent taking photos, having fun (not that the two are mutually exclusive).
Pages: [1]   Go Up