Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PhaseOne P30 Date/Time Question  (Read 3885 times)

Snook

PhaseOne P30 Date/Time Question
« on: August 24, 2009, 10:45:37 am »

Could not find a thread and this might get answered quickly I hope.
Strange thing has been happening the last couple of weeks...
Everytime I put a battery in my P30 back the menu screen always asked me to put the date and shows the date as 2007. I proceed to put the correct date and shoot but the the next time it pops up again.
Is there some kind of internal battery that is dying and that is why it cannot keep the date on track.
If so is it something I can replace and where is it..
Thanks a lot for any information or Help.
Snook

DavidP

• papas.com
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 05:42:24 pm »

Its funny, I had exactly the same thing happen with my P45+ yesterday. I had both batteries off the back for charging for several hours and it lost the time.
If I just pull it briefly and replace it, it seems to be ok, maybe there is some battery in there that gets weak. The back is a little over two years old.

Snook

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 05:54:48 pm »

Well glad I am not the only one, but hope it is no big deal.. I am sure will pop in here and add a comment as to what it is. I looked around the back and cannot see where I little watch style battery would go?
Thanks for commenting, it may help get an answer.
Snook

Aurelio

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 06:54:24 pm »

Same  here,  somehow im not even checking the date on the back anymore.

ziocan

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 04:57:30 am »

Quote from: Aurelio
Same  here,  somehow im not even checking the date on the back anymore.
same here.

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 07:27:55 am »

I suppose the back has a little internal battery for date/time memory, mine (in a P25) stopped working after the first 6 months already.
Definetely something that P1 should optimize in future backs.

Tom-

Snook

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 10:13:02 am »

Quote from: tom_l
I suppose the back has a little internal battery for date/time memory, mine (in a P25) stopped working after the first 6 months already.
Definetely something that P1 should optimize in future backs.

Tom-

I guess that means it is not user replaceable..
Sure seems stupid to have to send a back back for that!! Specially where I live.
My back was just back last year for the LCD died, luckily under warranty. Seems they should have replaced the battery at that time and if they did it sure is strange that it lasted less than a year.

Snook

bcooter

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 11:23:32 am »

Quote from: Snook
I guess that means it is not user replaceable..
Sure seems stupid to have to send a back back for that!! Specially where I live.
My back was just back last year for the LCD died, luckily under warranty. Seems they should have replaced the battery at that time and if they did it sure is strange that it lasted less than a year.

Snook

If this stuff wasn't so annoying it would be funny.

This forum will get 20 dealer responses if you say your thinking about upgrading from a pee 28 to a pee 99 or something like that with each response ending with logos, dealer e-mail prompts, webseminars.

But . . . if you say your internal battery died (if there actually is an internal battery), or how bout a right angle grip, or that poor fella that went through 7 leaf backs, this place gets as quiet as if someone farted in church.

The level of hurt that photographer's endure is beyond me and it's always so selective.  If Canon or Nikon made a camera where the date and time wouldn't stick, there would be lawyers filing class action lawsuits by the thousands, but in the land of pro-fessional equipment we just say ok, no problem so everytime I start my camera I gotta first yank the battery, then the firewire cord, then start the software, then replace the firewire cord, after spinning it over my head four times, counter clockwise, then replace the battery and I'm good to go for at least 60 frames.

No problem.

BC

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 11:54:26 am »

Quote from: bcooter
If this stuff wasn't so annoying it would be funny.

This forum will get 20 dealer responses if you say your thinking about upgrading from a pee 28 to a pee 99 or something like that with each response ending with logos, dealer e-mail prompts, webseminars.

But . . . if you say your internal battery died (if there actually is an internal battery), or how bout a right angle grip, or that poor fella that went through 7 leaf backs, this place gets as quiet as if someone farted in church.

The level of hurt that photographer's endure is beyond me and it's always so selective.  If Canon or Nikon made a camera where the date and time wouldn't stick, there would be lawyers filing class action lawsuits by the thousands, but in the land of pro-fessional equipment we just say ok, no problem so everytime I start my camera I gotta first yank the battery, then the firewire cord, then start the software, then replace the firewire cord, after spinning it over my head four times, counter clockwise, then replace the battery and I'm good to go for at least 60 frames.

Give me a break:

1) I have personally helped Snook with issues in the past, and help many forum members even when they are not our customers.
2) Canon/Nikon are not problem free; ask any rental department how many 1DsII firewire ports they've had go bad or 5DI shutters have crapped out. And most Canon/Nikon cameras won't tether to Leopard at all unless you know to remove Type8Camera from the System-Library; I can't think of a more obscure problem.
3) This, along with essentially ANY problem (other than e.g. dropping it in the ocean) is fully covered under the warranty, including a loaner during the repair if you opted for the 3-year warranty. While in-warranty the warranty can be extended 1 year at a time for around 5% of what Snook likely paid for the unit in the first place.
4) I will put my personal reputation of the incredible rock-solid stability of a Phase Back with C1 4.8.2 shooting tethered.

To respond directly to Snook: your back would need repair in DK as the battery for date/time is not user-accessible. Normally (based on our companies extensive experience - not on manufacturer claims) this battery lasts the life of the back; that's unfortunate.

It's probably not worth the time/money to have it repaired out-of-warranty but if you do ever have an issue that requires repair make sure to mention it so that it is repaired at the same time.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 11:57:19 am by dougpetersonci »

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 12:03:50 pm »

Add me to the list of those whose P30 internal battery did not last the lifetime of the back.  Thankfully it is just a minor annoyance, but it seems to have afflicted LL members disproportionately.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

bcooter

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 12:26:33 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
Give me a break:

1) I have personally helped Snook with issues in the past, and help many forum members even when they are not our customers.
2) Canon/Nikon are not problem free; ask any rental department how many 1DsII firewire ports they've had go bad or 5DI shutters have crapped out. And most Canon/Nikon cameras won't tether to Leopard at all unless you know to remove Type8Camera from the System-Library; I can't think of a more obscure problem.
3) This, along with essentially ANY problem (other than e.g. dropping it in the ocean) is fully covered under the warranty, including a loaner during the repair if you opted for the 3-year warranty. While in-warranty the warranty can be extended 1 year at a time for around 5% of what Snook likely paid for the unit in the first place.
4) I will put my personal reputation of the incredible rock-solid stability of a Phase Back with C1 4.8.2 shooting tethered.

To respond directly to Snook: your back would need repair in DK as the battery for date/time is not user-accessible. Normally (based on our companies extensive experience - not on manufacturer claims) this battery lasts the life of the back; that's unfortunate.

It's probably not worth the time/money to have it repaired out-of-warranty but if you do ever have an issue that requires repair make sure to mention it so that it is repaired at the same time.

Doug,

I think this all boils down to the bottom line.

Yes, you guys help a lot of people that weren't your original customers.  That's commendable, but it also drives business your way . . . nothing wrong with that.

Still, the bottom line is Snooks got a expensive camera that isn't worth the price of the fix (your words, not mine).

I do think it's somewhat off that to get a "lifetime" battery replaced shouldn't take a extra warranty that costs more than a 5d2.

As far as tethering with version 4, well I haven't tried it in a while but I know making version 4 tether to a phase back on a vista machine was impossible.  Maybe you've fixed that, if so I stand corrected, I will download it and try it again, though I'd have thought since Phase and Microsoft got a deal cookin' vista would have been easy and high up on the list.

As far as Canon they had problems with the 1ds2 and paid dearly for it, though up to the moment I sold both of mine, they had about a billion frames through them and only lost one shutter.  

The 1ds3; I can't think of anything it does wrong and honestly I think it would tether to a commodore 64, because I tethered it with Dells, Sonys, all flavors of macs and dpp just loads, tethers and works and it's free.

Still, it takes a lot of sifting through information to find out what works reliably and what doesn't, less with dslra, more with specialty cameras.

On a previous thread you mentioned the only way to get any digital back to tether without a problem of lines in the image is to use battery power from the back.  Now that you guys are Leaf dealers hows that gonna work, cause the last time I looked the Leaf battery was hanging in the firewire slot.

But, back to the bottom line.  How expensive is it to fix the internal batter of a p30?

BC

Doug Peterson

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 01:19:53 pm »

But, back to the bottom line.  How expensive is it to fix the internal batter of a p30?

As with any repair of any camera by any camera the repair cost cannot be guaranteed until inspected at the repair station. However, this repair should be covered under the $600 "service-check". Or free if under warranty. Warranty extensions while under warranty are $700 or $1000 (depending on the model) which is nowhere near the cost of a 5DII and I think is a very good value.

Doug Peterson

Doug Peterson

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 01:28:47 pm »

On a previous thread you mentioned the only way to get any digital back to tether without a problem of lines in the image is to use battery power from the back.

The world of windows includes many low-quality components. When using one of the tested-and-approved windows firewire solutions this is not true.

Doug Peterson

Doug Peterson

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 01:39:57 pm »

As far as tethering with version 4, well I haven't tried it in a while but I know making version 4 tether to a phase back on a vista machine was impossible.  Maybe you've fixed that, if so I stand corrected, I will download it and try it again, though I'd have thought since Phase and Microsoft got a deal cookin' vista would have been easy and high up on the list.

Phase does not yet support tethering in Vista 64, nor does Canon.

All supported cameras are fine in Vista 32. The P21, P30, and P45 require a quick one-time "fix" but are fully supported.

Doug Peterson

DavidP

• papas.com
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 02:44:46 pm »

Count me as one of those people who is not Doug's original customer, but whom he has been nice enough to help out with free tech support. My original  Phase dealer completely flaked out.
I guess it is good business on their part too, because I would consider dealing with them in the future.

bcooter

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 03:53:23 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
As with any repair of any camera by any camera the repair cost cannot be guaranteed until inspected at the repair station. However, this repair should be covered under the $600 "service-check". Or free if under warranty. Warranty extensions while under warranty are $700 or $1000 (depending on the model) which is nowhere near the cost of a 5DII and I think is a very good value.

So once again, bottom line.

To replace the watch battery on a p30 is either 600 clams out of warranty, or $700 a year minimum of warranty to get the lifetime battery replaced for free?

BC

Snook

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 08:43:53 pm »

Life time my a$$..Like I said y back was just in a year ago because the LCD died.
Phase one are total morons for not making something like the watch style battery user changeable.
Just another reason they will probably not have many more future sells.
Another Nail in the coffin if you ask me.
700.00$ and shipping to BFE and out of a back for a week or 2 just to change a 2.00 battery.

No further comment!!

jeeeeeeeez

Snook

DavidP

• papas.com
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 12:30:55 pm »

It is ridiculous that you have to send it back to Denmark and it cost so much. Especially after only 1/12 or 2 years. Mine seems to at least hold the info for the time it takes to swap the battery, so I am going to work with it. It is strange that the shot counter does not reset to zero when this happens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up