Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inconsistent results - color managed workflow...why?  (Read 5459 times)

EarlyMan

Inconsistent results - color managed workflow...why?
« on: August 23, 2009, 09:08:14 am »

Hi All -

I have an Epson 4800, Colorbyte RIP, calibrated monitor. I soft proof my files in PS3 before sending them to the printer. Yesterday, I was attempting to print several images from a recent trip. One print matched the soft proofed image on the monitor, the second one (of a different scene), wasn't even close. I struggled with adjustment layers and test prints but finally gave up, as I just couldn't seem to dial it in.

I thought the whole idea of a color managed workflow was consistency of results. If anyone could shed some insight into this, I would be mucho appreciative.

E-

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 10:28:40 am »

Quote from: EarlyMan
Hi All -

I have an Epson 4800, Colorbyte RIP, calibrated monitor. I soft proof my files in PS3 before sending them to the printer. Yesterday, I was attempting to print several images from a recent trip. One print matched the soft proofed image on the monitor, the second one (of a different scene), wasn't even close. I struggled with adjustment layers and test prints but finally gave up, as I just couldn't seem to dial it in.

I thought the whole idea of a color managed workflow was consistency of results. If anyone could shed some insight into this, I would be mucho appreciative.

E-

Have you tried watching Michael's tutorial video on this topic? You can buy it at http://www.luminous-landscape.com/videos/camera-print.shtml. I learned a lot, and it might help you sort out what's wrong. One thing that comes to mind is whether you are using proper paper profiles for your paper on the printer. Just having a calibrated monitor isn't enough, and you haven't mentioned what profiles you're using for the paper.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 10:36:35 am »

Quote from: EarlyMan

There are a number of possibilities but right off the bat, it might be a severe mismatch in color gamut between the two devices. The weak link is the display in terms of what it can reproduce.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

EarlyMan

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 12:05:19 pm »

Thanks for the replies -

To add some more info to the equation, since I am using the Imageprint RIP, I am also using their paper profiles.  All colorspaces are Adobe RGB (1998). The key here is that SOME of the images are spot on, while others are off by a considerable amount. If everything was off, then I could see where there might be something wrong in my workflow.  It's the inconsistency that's maddening.

E-
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 12:05:47 pm by EarlyMan »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 03:22:21 pm »

A few questions come to mind ...

What type of monitor?  What type of device was used to calibrate it?  What settings were used to calibrate it? Are all of the images on the same paper using the same profile?  What paper are you using? Is there any similarity in the images that are problematic and are they different in any way to those that seem to print OK?

EarlyMan

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 03:34:09 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
A few questions come to mind ...

What type of monitor?  What type of device was used to calibrate it?  What settings were used to calibrate it? Are all of the images on the same paper using the same profile?  What paper are you using? Is there any similarity in the images that are problematic and are they different in any way to those that seem to print OK?

The monitor is a 25" Gateway flat panel. I use an OptiCal Spyder to calibrate the monitor. The settings are gamma 2.2, 6500K. The paper is Innova FibaPrint gloss.  There was no similarity between the image that printed good and the image that didn't match the monitor. I am using Colorbytes profiles and they are supposed to be quite good.

-E
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 03:36:23 pm by EarlyMan »
Pages: [1]   Go Up