Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony DSC-T1  (Read 7501 times)

Shivz

• Racing Shiva Productions
Sony DSC-T1
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2004, 07:18:15 pm »

Michael has posted a nice review of this item with images. The T1 rocks in it's own market.  2.5" screen, 5mp, thin as 3 credit cards.  What a concept.  You can put it in your shirt pocket and forget about it. A friend is selling his Canon S45 to buy this T1 and he is a pro, he just wants it as an "always around" photo/video machine....  S

BJL

Sony DSC-T1
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2004, 11:46:29 am »

It's such a pity the image quality is not quite up to the level of the Canon S45. ... Gotta draw my standards somewhere.
I agree about standards, but now that I finally have a DSLR, my compact digicam is suddenly not compact enough, and my new standards for a pocket camera are something like

- good prints at up to 8"x10", decent at up to a full standard inkjet printer page

- fits in a jacket pocket, and even a generously sized shirt pocket

- A good degree of control over aperture and shutter speed choices, but not necessarily by traditional direct manual exposure mode.

-3x optical zoom or more (or a huge amount of cropping ability!)

Small is easy, and 4MP (or even 3MP) with a good lens probably satisfies the first item.

Given the rather limited range of apertures and DOF choices on such cameras, I would be willing to give up even aperture priority and shutter priority, in favour of a combination of exposure compensation and some ability to shift the priority of the program mode, as with special modes for landscapes, high speed/action, portraits, etc.

The T1 does have exp. comp, and a bunch of "scene" modes that could be used to push the choice of aperture and shutter speed around, so is main defect for me is having a fixed focal length lens.

So the forthcoming W1 with 3x might be a good fit for me, if it is still a good fit for my pockets. I just noticed that it also has aperture and shutter priority modes too: W1 announcement at DPReview

P. S. At this stage, I wish that every new digicam had at least a 2.5" LCD!

Ray

Sony DSC-T1
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2004, 08:31:46 pm »

I think to compare the T1 with Canon S model or even Sony's own upcoming W1 model with 2.5" screen is not correct. You can always get better images by going larger.  
Image quality is always of concern. As companies cram more pixels into smaller sensors, it's quite reasonable to want to know what the trade-off is in terms of (a) image quality on the monitor at 100%, and ( image quality on equal size prints.

If it's not correct to compare the T1 with the S45, then it's also not correct to compare the Sony F828 with the 10D, or the Canon PRO 1 with the 1D mark ll, or the 1Ds with a 16MP digital back.

I'm fairly certain the image quality of the T1 on the monitor does not match that of the 4MP S45 or the 5MP S50. The question is, would you notice the difference on an 8x10 print?

If not, I'll reconsider getting one of these miniature marvels.  :)

Ray

Sony DSC-T1
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2004, 12:26:59 pm »

a) I would suggest that those print comparisons be restricted to equal and relevant print sizes. For most of us choosing an always available "mini-camera", adjunct to a DSLR or "big-lens digicam", the relevant sizes would not exceed standard inkjet formats; A4 for you, 8.5"x11" for me.
BJL,
You make a good point, but what about cropping (or use of the digital zoom)? Those fixed, short range zooms can be a bit restrictive. If I'm carrying a camera around all the time so I don't miss an opportunity, I'm not likely to say, 'Well, too bad. That shot needs a 200mm lens but I've got only a 114mm. I guess I won't bother."  :)

gryffyn

• http://www.tarafrost.com
Sony DSC-T1
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2004, 09:26:55 am »

I'm still curious as to Michael's thoughts on the T1, now that he's had it for a while....which was the initial raison d'etre of this thread.

Any observations to pass on regarding the Sony DCS-T1, Michael, now that you're back from vacations?
.....Andrzej

Sony DSC-T1
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2004, 10:40:15 am »

I don't think much about the T1. It's in my pocket a lot of the time, and I use it to take some enjoyable images at times and places when I otherwise wouldn't have had a camera with me.

My only real gripe is that it doesn't have even a rudimentary optical finder and therefore it needs to be held at arms length to frame. There are times and places when this makes it very obvious that you're taking a photograph, or maybe looking myopically at a cell phone's dialing pad, which is what I pretend.  :)

Michael

Ray

Sony DSC-T1
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2004, 11:33:33 am »

But keep in mind the XG has a much smaller LCD, doesn't have Zeiss optics and is only 3.2 mpixels instead of Sony's 5.  But it is a lot less expensive as a result.
But it also has an optical viewfinder and for 8x10 prints 3MP is probably all you need.  :)

Ray

Sony DSC-T1
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2004, 08:30:04 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I'm looking for major breakthroughs in performance at an affordable price  :) . I always seem to find unsettling drawbacks whenever I contemplate buying a compact digicam. In the case of the T1, it's the price and type of memory cards. I'm now having doubts about the Minolta Xg. My eyes are so finely attuned after years of pixel peeping, even 6x8 T1 prints look sharper than 6x8 Xg prints.[/font]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up