Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving files  (Read 1343 times)

marcgoldring

Moving files
« on: August 22, 2009, 11:18:58 am »

I've learned the hard way to move files from within LR but now I have a different problem. I want to move files from one drive to another and I have 2 questions:

1. I have moved folders from one drive to another but the folder (and files) remains on the original drive. Shouldn't it be gone? Why's it still there?

2. From within LR, when I try to move a folder to the destination drive, LR will only let me move it to within an existing folder on the new drive. I would do that but I can't figure out how to "promote" that folder once it's moved. What am I missing here?

Thanks all!

Marco
Marc Goldring
visit my site Marcoclicks

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Moving files
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 12:12:54 pm »

1) In Windows at least (not sure about Mac), you can 'move' files/ folders around on a drive, but you can only 'copy' information from one drive to another.  Hence the files/ folders are copied to the source, but not removed from destination.

2) In the Library module, on the left panel, right-click on the folder you want to promote and select 'Update Folder Location', then point to where you want to move it.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

marcgoldring

Moving files
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 01:27:54 pm »

Quote from: wolfnowl
1) In Windows at least (not sure about Mac), you can 'move' files/ folders around on a drive, but you can only 'copy' information from one drive to another.  Hence the files/ folders are copied to the source, but not removed from destination.

2) In the Library module, on the left panel, right-click on the folder you want to promote and select 'Update Folder Location', then point to where you want to move it.

Mike.

Yup I'm on Windows. My perception was that some folders WERE removed and some were left remaining but I could be "confused" As long as I can see the files on the destination drive, I can just delete those on the original drive.  And thanks for the "update folder location" explanation - I saw that option but didn't realize that was what it does!

Cheers,

Marc
Marc Goldring
visit my site Marcoclicks
Pages: [1]   Go Up