Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Klinko bankrupt.....  (Read 14641 times)

woof75

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 06:45:15 am »

Chicken wings, bars and a shoebox isn't so bad, it's kind of what you want when your young. Speaking of assistants, anyone have recommendations for a good assistant in NY, I've never really found anyone I'm that happy with. PM me if you like but I'm sure any assistant would love to have his details on this board.

lisa_r

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 08:57:53 am »

Woof, I have someone for you. She assists me a lot, and she also works consistently with a bunch of the big guns at management and artists.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 08:58:22 am by lisa_r »

Pete Ferling

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 09:07:11 am »

Keep in mind that regardless of the persons affected, that this is a reminder that we're not alone in our struggles with the present economy and not to let our guard down.
Many of us will have to downsize, tighten belts and learn to diversify and take on other tasks.  It's tough being both a provider and a client, (where we hire outside to help with extra work, etc.).  I still get phone calls from third parties and I have nothing to offer outside my own duties.  Some of them I no longer hear from and most likely are gone or given up.  It's very easy to picture myself in their shoes.

The best thing and only thing we have control over is how we feel about ourselves and how to react to these realities of life.  At the very least, I have two good hands and the desire to work.  If I wind up having to flip burgers to feed my kids, it doesn't mean I give up doing what I will continue to do regardless, and that's shooting pictures and video.  Maybe that's why none of the presidents on the bills I've seen are smiling.  A symbolic message that money doesn't buy one happiness.

woof75

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 11:12:50 am »

Thanks Lisa, I just emailed you about it.

fotodog33

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 11:24:52 am »

Sinar Bron Imaging (US) would use his shots in our Broncolor ads.

Quote from: ThierryH
euh, not really, can't remember of any ad shot by him for Sinar, but I could be wrong.

Best regards,
Thierry

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 02:15:19 pm »

Ah, here I am looking at my various business stats, and its not a terribly pleasant sight. Long slow downward graphs over the last three years tell a story that transcends the sudden cliff of the credit crunch and reveals a frightening underlying trend.

Then I read a thread like this and find that a bit of schadenfreude can give a silver lining to that cloud.    
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

sid_v

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 02:24:01 pm »

Ever wonder it could be a marketing strategy to spice up their upcoming show Double Exposure...

fotodog33

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 03:57:21 pm »

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 03:59:11 pm by fotodog33 »

rogan

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2009, 11:23:18 am »

Quote from: SeanBK
Wasn't he shooting with some custom made contraption?

What does this have to do with anything?
If you look at the camera it is a RZ or a fuji(actually swaps it out, I have seen pics of both) With a linhof camera grip(currently on ebay for $49) and a piece of suede holding a lupe on the ground glass(cost with sewing $25?) and a piece of metal to attach the grip to and drill the bottom with a tripod hole. Total cost today of body, 3 lenses and modifications? Less than 1 1DSmkIII.

bcooter

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2009, 11:48:24 am »

Quote from: rogan
If you look at the camera it is a RZ or a fuji(actually swaps it out, I have seen pics of both) With a linhof camera grip(currently on ebay for $49) and a piece of suede holding a lupe on the ground glass(cost with sewing $25?) and a piece of metal to attach the grip to and drill the bottom with a tripod hole. Total cost today of body, 3 lenses and modifications? Less than 1 1DSmkIII.

I use to have an assistant, "Trish The Dish", that had everything she bought or earned broken down to the cost of a 6 pack of beer.

Her assistant fee was 24 six packs, overtime was 4 six packs, filling up her Toyota was 5 six packs.

So maybe we can do this with cameras.

The cost of a used RZ body is about 400 bucks, so if Klinko buys a new 1ds Mark III that's 15, if he buys a new p65+ then it's 100.

I wonder how many RZ's his creative fee is/was?

Anyway, this could be the new math, or even the standard world currency.  Used RZ's.  

BC

SeanBK

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2009, 01:29:48 pm »

Quote from: rogan

My point was he always acted like a Diva. When everybody who is more talented than he is, shoots w/conventional camera setups. Just a show off and so no wonder his financial troubles don't surprise me one bit. Last yr there was big discussion on L-L @ his custom camera & good points were raised then, which seems to have come true.

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2009, 01:42:43 pm »

Quote from: bcooter
I use to have an assistant, "Trish The Dish", that had everything she bought or earned broken down to the cost of a 6 pack of beer.

Her assistant fee was 24 six packs, overtime was 4 six packs, filling up her Toyota was 5 six packs.

So maybe we can do this with cameras.

The cost of a used RZ body is about 400 bucks, so if Klinko buys a new 1ds Mark III that's 15, if he buys a new p65+ then it's 100.

I wonder how many RZ's his creative fee is/was?

Anyway, this could be the new math, or even the standard world currency.  Used RZ's.  

BC

I hope she was assisting you on a beer commercial.

lisa_r

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2009, 01:50:31 pm »

Don't you understand Rogan? This is the toxic environment these days: If your colleagues (competitors) deem you to be a show off, then you probably deserve to go out of business. :-O

p.s. I submit that for every high profile show-off who goes bankrupt there are many thousands of small guys you never heard of also going belly up - none of whom have custom camera grips, or an ego the size of Klinko's.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 02:34:25 pm by lisa_r »

rogan

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2009, 11:58:42 pm »

Quote from: lisa_r
Don't you understand Rogan? This is the toxic environment these days: If your colleagues (competitors) deem you to be a show off, then you probably deserve to go out of business. :-O

p.s. I submit that for every high profile show-off who goes bankrupt there are many thousands of small guys you never heard of also going belly up - none of whom have custom camera grips, or an ego the size of Klinko's.

You are brilliant Lisa R. Toxic is right. Whatever works is great as far as I am concerned. I saw a guy shooting on the streets in NY and I'm sure he's next. He was using a non canon camera strap on a 5d! And that guy at the strobist? He uses home made things all the time!
As to the no name going bankrupt without a klinko custom grip, I bet a good deal of them do have some custom gear. Isn't tinkering and not accepting things the way they are natural to a photographer?

woof75

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2009, 09:23:26 am »

Does anyone want to buy a custom grip, I'm selling mine now, just in case....

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2009, 01:55:19 pm »

Quote from: woof75
Does anyone want to buy a custom grip, I'm selling mine now, just in case....

I will buy it but only if you have two. I need a back up for everything I own.
Andre

mmurph

• http://
Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2009, 10:52:38 am »

Quote from: AndreNapier
I will buy it but only if you have two. I need a back up for everything I own.
Andre

Buy all you can Andre - I am!  

Fads come and go. Sure, **right now** they will make you go bancrupt. In 3 yeras, 5 max, they will make you a star!  Covers of Vogue, millions lying down at your feet, worshiping you  - and they will be priceless!    

Then you have a choice:  Keep them all to yourself and be a star for a few short years, or sell them all and retire to leisure for the rest of your life.  Hint: remember the Hunt brothers when they cornered the silver market? (I honestly don't remember what happened, but I know it made film very expensive when I was in college.  Oh yeah, film ..... I'll collect that too  )

Cheers,
Michael

mmurph

• http://
Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2009, 10:20:06 am »

Latest on Annie at Huffington Post  

Decent sumary of her position, with a looming Tuesday deadline for the $24 million and her options.  

I saw Annie get ripped apart in 2 other threads on another site. At least here she was treated with some respect.

I have been thinking about this a bit.  I remember when reading "The Right Stuff", how every time a pilot tanked a plane, the other pilots **always** blamed the one who crashed!  It was never an unavoidable accident, pure mechanical failure, etc.

I saw the same thing when I was bicycle racing.  People always blamed the rider who crashed - he/she was unstable, had epilipsy, etc.  I think it is a psychological self-protection mechanism of sorts.

If you just blame bad luck, or a bad plane/bike frame that breaks, etc. - well, what is to say that it isn't going to happen to you, next, today, right now ....    

If you blame the person, and identify their faults, you can maintain an air of superiority and "ego advantage" - I am better than them, I don't do that, so it won't happen to me.  

Thanks Lisa for sticking up for folks!

Cheers,
Michael
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 10:21:57 am by mmurph »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2009, 10:43:31 am »

Great book & good movie, 'The right stuff'. I think you are right partially but I believe much of the flaming is caused by envy. Kicking when someone is down. Whatever her financial fate will be, she still has made a bunch of great images. She was also able to gather this much money with her photography in the first place. She was able to make some fantastic images and this nobody can take away from her. I feel sorry for her that she had to sell the rights on future work, this would practically mean she would never make images for herself. I wonder how that will turn out??

bcooter

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2009, 12:42:23 pm »

Quote from: mmurph
t it isn't going to happen to you, next, today, right now ....     \

Alot of photographers opens up Vanity Fare or Vogue looks at the cover or a spread and says "I couldaa done that".  Sure because it's already road mapped and been done, so that's not that difficult.

The trick is not taking the photograph, the trick is having the juice it takes to get into the room to take the photograph and they juice may come from talent, knowing how to hire the right crew, buying the right dinner or having a relative that works at a publisher.  

It doesn't matter because the Vogue/Vanity Fare photographer is in the room and shooting the job.

I don't think anyone in their right mind rejoices at the problems of AL, at least if they are a working photographer.

If Annie is at the top, then it's the trickle down theory.  If she does bad, everyone down below does bad and considering the economy, nobody should feel warm and fuzzy when another photographer has problems.

What do you want to hear, Annie shoots for $500 or shoots for $100,000,000.  I'll go for the $100,000,000 routine because it raises our profession and believe it or not raises everyone's rates.

As far as the personal attacks, we've all heard them and though some may have validity, it is still second hand information and in my experience the assistant or crew member that screams about
one photographer treating them poorly is usually the assistant that proceeds to break every piece of equipment they touch, so all of this can be taken with a grain of salt and I can promise you if you do this business with freelance crew, own your own equipment and do a yearly inventory, you'll be shocked at the amount of lost or broken equipment.  

So it's kind of hard to keep your cool when somebody drops a new powerbook off a table, on an editorial shoot with a $500 per page rate.

How is a photographer suppose to react when an assistant ships $2,500 worth of camera supports and doesn't attach a FEDEX label?  Thanks, and let me pay you that double overtime?  Though is you call the assistant a dumbass, he will tell everyone he knows what a prick you were to work with.

The Klinky thing is different, mostly because of the body of work he produced and a lot of the self generated PR that seemed purposefully placed.

The one and only thing that Annie and Klinky have in common (other than money issues) is their works now relies heavily on post production.  

Not that it doesn't take talent or an eye to get the basic image, but one or two soft lights does not make patterns and shadows like the final images suggest and there are no digital cameras I know of that get close to the color pallets they both present.

I love it when I hear the praise or complaints that a dalsa chip looks more film like than a Kodak sensor, or ccd is more film like than cmos, when in reality none of them look remotely close in final reproduction like they looked on screen during the shoot.

At least not any work of importance, because everything that the public sees now goes through many multiple rounds of post production.

I personally like Annie's earlier film work because even though most was staged, it had more reality to it.  You honestly believed that whoopie was in that warm milk where today it probably would be cg and whoopie would be squeezed and retouched to look like a 18 year old.

Staged or not, you knew it was John and Yoko in that bed and today it would be four pressers, two seamstress, 2 makeup artists, a week of propping and 3 personal managers on set to approve the final image.

In fact I think professional photographers have shot themselves in the foot, relying so heavily on post production, to produce an image, because so many images have gone from photography to paintings and drawing something is usually a lot cheaper than shooting it, but once you draw it, a photograph looses a lot of it's validity.

Photography on most levels has just become over managed and I blame most of that on digital, because the upside is you know you have the shot before the day is done, the downside is everyone wants to see the shot in micro detail and offer up an opinion at every stage from polaroid, to shoot, to final retouch.

We start this with casting, wardrobe, locations and props and the committee think doesn't stop until the final head swap, eye change, smile moved, wrinkle smoothed image is taken down to the level of one of those Japanese CG models with the big round eyes and it takes a strong personality to keep the comments to a minimum and get to something special.

(Maybe the "challenged"  lcd previews that medium format cameras produce could actually be marketed as a plus.  You can show the client the image, but they don't know what the hell their looking at.)

I read that stuff in those articles that said AL did "lavish" shoots moving Kristin Dunst as Marie Antoinette, and a crew to Paris for a shoot at the Versailles.

Where the hell are you suppose to shoot Marie Antoinette?  At the Sav-On parking lot in New Jersey?

Until you've stepped out on set with 200 e-mails, 12 conference calls jammed into your head about what you can't do, vs. what you can do, it's difficult to understand the pressure a photographer is under and yes, sometimes that pressure leads to a few sharp comments when the photographer sees an assistant standing there holding his wang in one hand, talking to his girlfriend on his iphone with the other while your screaming give me the 85 1.2 because the sun is falling and he runs over and hands you a 35 1.4, the sun drops, end of story.

A few years ago one assistant said to me he knew he will be a great success as a photographer because he always "sees" better photographs than the photographer he is assisting.  I replied, ok, maybe that's true, maybe not, but let's be realistic, the only pressure you have on this project is to try and not break my camera.  

So my suggestion is to take all of these comments with a very tiny grain of salt and never believe anything you read or hear about money (good or bad) until you see someone's bank statement.

BC
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up