Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Klinko bankrupt.....  (Read 14643 times)

Frank Doorhof

• http://
Klinko bankrupt.....
« on: August 22, 2009, 10:38:38 am »

http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/content_displ...287db53da8897e0

I think it's sad to see this kind of people going down.
But it shows maybe the changing structure of photography the last few years in contrast to the thread about being paid for your work ?

After Annie L. I think this is a trend that will costs us many great photographers, on the other hand talent will never be wasted they will probably just start again.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 10:59:52 am by Frank Doorhof »

SeanBK

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 11:15:24 am »

Quote from: Frank Doorhof

But it shows maybe the changing structure of photography the last few years in contrast to the thread about being paid for your work ?

After Annie L. I think this is a trend that will costs us many great photographers, on the other hand talent will never be wasted they will probably just start again.

Wasn't he shooting with some custom made contraption? He always was rather arrogant & dismissive toward others, so doesn't surprise me one bit that everyone jacked up their prices to work under him. Annie L. also had entourage of assistants that adds up. If you pay that kinda money for cameras, whose life is just couple of yrs, than you really can't pay for all that customised gears from Profotos,..... I think writing is on the wall.

amsp

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 11:29:14 am »

If my memory serves me correctly I think Annie's problems were non-photography related, something about real estate. Klinko on the other hand I'm not even remotely surprised.

bcooter

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 12:04:13 pm »

Frank,

With all due respect, feel sorry for the people who haven't been paid.

Also in this instance there is always more to the story than can be summed up in a PDN press release.

BC

JTFOTO

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 01:07:04 pm »

Yup,  there are many of those type of shooters living beyond their means....

There are a lot of shooters going under, we just read about these because of their high profiles.

I know I have lost a lot of clients that have cut back on days and budgets.

I am streamlining and combined my home and studio.   Own the bare essential equipment needed.  Put rental budgets together for clients when we need to get bigger spaces and more equipment.

Best of luck to you all out there.

pschefz

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 01:43:52 pm »

annie's situation described in detail here

about klinko&indrani....as the release says...they have had big problems for years....he is the master of self promotion and they have shot several high profile celebs, but it was obvious that there was a lot of smoke and mirrors....i can't remember a single ad campaign...or even editorials....the only ads they shot were for sinar:)....

annie was known to be difficult and extremely demanding but a professional and perfectionist....and her images have had a huge impact on our culture for the last 40 years....

klinko?

no comparison...very sad in one case, could not care less in the other....
schefz.com
artloch.com

ThierryH

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 02:03:32 pm »

euh, not really, can't remember of any ad shot by him for Sinar, but I could be wrong.

Best regards,
Thierry

Quote from: pschefz
....the only ads they shot were for sinar:)....

jimgolden

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 02:11:54 pm »

Quote from: bcooter
Frank,

With all due respect, feel sorry for the people who haven't been paid.

too true - if you've ever been on the accounts receivable side of a bankruptcy it's terrible - 10 to 15 cents on the USD - x $25k USD - you start to get the picture. this happened to me last year and it was a terrible...

Frank Doorhof

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 03:04:23 pm »

Quote from: jimgolden
too true - if you've ever been on the accounts receivable side of a bankruptcy it's terrible - 10 to 15 cents on the USD - x $25k USD - you start to get the picture. this happened to me last year and it was a terrible...

I ofcourse mean the whole happening, not only one part of it.
The problem is that the talent will probably just start new and leave behind a trail of destruction.

Still I liked his work and think it's always a shame when someone can't make it.

bcooter

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 03:53:07 pm »

The problem is that the talent will probably just start new and leave behind a trail of destruction.

Still I liked his work and think it's always a shame when someone can't make it.

You need to know a lot more about this story before you shed any tears, because honestly your very naive in this regard.

BC

pschefz

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 04:23:17 pm »

Quote from: ThierryH
euh, not really, can't remember of any ad shot by him for Sinar, but I could be wrong.

Best regards,
Thierry

sorry....i guess it was the only place i ever saw their work....

the problem really is that is seems like there are a lot of people getting screwed in this....people in the industry who do not deserve it....

and i wonder if the bravo show is still on and how much they will actually make on that....and how much of that will actually go to paying their old debt....seems like this filing is coming at the right time.....
schefz.com
artloch.com

TMARK

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 05:02:40 pm »

Frank,

Have no pity.  They aren't real people.

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 05:33:18 pm »

isn't he using these parody jokes of cameras, embarrassing concoctions, threw at them whatever was glitzy and ergonomic? the inspector gadget of the photography world. 10 million! there must be a lot of creative people left pissed off in NY.

very boring work in my opinion.
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

TMARK

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 08:00:43 pm »

Quote from: geesbert
isn't he using these parody jokes of cameras, embarrassing concoctions, threw at them whatever was glitzy and ergonomic? the inspector gadget of the photography world. 10 million! there must be a lot of creative people left pissed off in NY.

very boring work in my opinion.

They had some nice work, but they were what is wrong with fashion on a human level, at least on the high end.  On the low end its every one wanting to be "urban".  Its funny seeing these suburban white girls fronting like they are Santogold or MIA. Makes you feel strange when the 26 year old photo-editor is from Chantilly, VA and acts like she's from Bushwyck.  Damn that Ben Watts for being so good and starting this trend!

The good guys keep on keepin' on:  Frank Ochenfels 3 still rules, just shoots great stuff, makes money, raises kids, makes pictures, makes those notebooks.

lisa_r

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 11:38:15 am »

I agree with what someone said on another board about this bankruptcy:
"it is easy to be unsympathetic /jealous/hateful" of other photographers.

While I may not have personally liked Klinko's penchant for custom camera mounts, etc., I am a little disgusted by the need for other "pro" photographers to kick someone when they are down. Sure there was apparently excessive expenditure with K+A, Annie, etc. but the discussion here reminds me of a playground when the bully finally gets his ass kicked and all the other kids cheer.

This is lame guys. A lame reaction to another story of the souring economy, and another photographer's business biting the dust.

(all I.M.O. of course.)

I hope none of you goes out of business and comes on the forum afterward to find half the members here spitting on your grave.

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 12:04:08 pm »

+1.

Well put, Lisa.  Thank you.
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

amsp

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 12:44:46 pm »

Wooha, take it easy there Lisa. I don't think anyone in here even cares enough to "spit on anyone's grave" as you put it. I do however think that the way people respect and feel for Annie and not Klinko is pretty telling of their work and especially the persona they choose to portray to the public. In Klinko's case neither have impressed me personally, that's all. But like I said in the beginning, I don't think anyone here cares enough to wish him bad things, me included.

bcooter

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 02:14:33 pm »

Quote from: lisa_r
I agree with what someone said on another board about this bankruptcy:
"it is easy to be unsympatheti

Ok hold up for a moment.

The only thing Annie and Klinko have in common is they both use cameras both have publicized money problems.

Annie is an Icon that made her way through the ranks by producing imagery that is immortal.  

IMO  Klinko is a different story, but what anyone thinks of his work is  up to them, some of it I like, though nobody wishes failure on anyone.  Not today.  

Uh uh, no way, too much bad ju-ju.

And nobody should be jealous.  Not if you know the story.

My only point is there is much more to this than just a short press release and if there is any sympathy it should be first be conveyed to the creditors, who are small business people and freelancers that need the money to survive.

I read these comments of how sad and you don't know sad until you've seen those assistants living in a shoebox, eating free chicken wings at the local Brooklyn bar, hoping that $250 check comes in so they can get back to one square meal.

BC

Alex MacPherson

• http://alexmacpherson.com
Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 08:47:06 pm »

Quote from: bcooter
I read these comments of how sad and you don't know sad until you've seen those assistants living in a shoebox, eating free chicken wings at the local Brooklyn bar, hoping that $250 check comes in so they can get back to one square meal.

BC

As someone about to head to NYC looking for assisting work, that statement scares the sh*t out of me.....
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

TMARK

Klinko bankrupt.....
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 01:19:47 am »

Quote from: Dolce Moda Photography
As someone about to head to NYC looking for assisting work, that statement scares the sh*t out of me.....

If you want to earn, be a digital tech.  Go work for Splashlight.  They will abuse you and take advantage of you, make you feel bad about yourself, the long long commute from deep Brooklyn and the 600 square feet you share with 5 people, the free wings, the cheap cheap beer . .  but you get exposure to how it all works, access to studios and the equipment room, you learn how to tech, which can be lucerative in the medium term.

New York is probably the best place to be to learn the business, its grueling, and the competition is intense.  You will be forced to be at the top of your game, because the three guys in your building are shooting as well, and looking to take your job.  The keys:  don't be a dick.  Keep it cool; Don't be stressed (on the surface anyway). Be polite. Pay attention on set, predict problems and solve them before they arise.  

But keep this in mind:  the happiest photogs I know shoot general commercial and editorial in second tier markets, shoot a ton of stuff for themselves, are wealthy - healthy and wise.  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up