Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 2.4 & Apple Snow Leopard  (Read 28252 times)

jnmoore

Lightroom 2.4 & Apple Snow Leopard
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2009, 06:40:51 pm »

Quote from: StuartOnline
With the release of Apple Snow Leopard being released soon does anyone know if Lightroom 2.4 will work without any problems?
Just wondering since I have heard some programs may have to be updated before they will run on Snow Leopard.

Stu

I just installed Snow Leopard and Lightroom (latest version) boots up fine and seems normal although I haven't tried to do much yet.  

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2009, 11:41:52 pm »

Well after installing Snow Leopard The HP Design Jet 130 ran with hardly any problems.
However the Canon IOF5000 is a NO GO.
Go figure how an older printer link the HP 130 works but not the newer IPF5000.
Have heard it will be October before drivers are available for the Canons.

Now a followup about the HP 130.
After testing with Lighroom it will not accept Profiles.
Meaning it always reverts back to Manage By Printer.
This is a bummer. No driver for the Canon IPF5000 and the HP 130 will not recognize Print Profiles.

You should be able to print from the iPF5000. I have not test this with 64bit kernel.

It appears that the printer driver works in SL if is connected by "lpd" but not if it is connected by "dnssd://Canon%20iPF9000%20%286B6093%29._pdl-datastream._tcp.local./?bidi"

I am sure you will need connected by ethernet for this to work.

Yes I have successfully printed from Indesign to my iPF9000 at least running the 32-bit kernel. Bad part is Indesign has some problems with SL. The printer profiles will not so up unless they are in the /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles. No profile will so up that are in System and User locations. This also affect Acrobat but not Photoshop or Illustrator.

Also the issue from ID where the monitor profile gets introduced into the printflow is still there. Sure hope that the new still have Fast Graphic Process.

No I cannot get the plugin to work, as it appears even if I choose lpd path it still requires the PrintMonitor that fails. Photoshop printing 16-bit file works fine through the driver as well as Lightroom running as a 64-bit app providing you use a printer preset. It does appear the printing correctly from LR is still dependent on the printer registered properly with in the ColorSync Utility.

I added the printer again and this is how I discovered this. Also when adding a new printers in I had to use the CUPS interface to set it to LPD, and when I did that everything printed correct from LR.

Doyle

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2009, 09:15:16 am »

Quote from: DYP
You should be able to print from the iPF5000. I have not test this with 64bit kernel.

It appears that the printer driver works in SL if is connected by "lpd" but not if it is connected by "dnssd://Canon%20iPF9000%20%286B6093%29._pdl-datastream._tcp.local./?bidi"

I am sure you will need connected by ethernet for this to work.

Yes I have successfully printed from Indesign to my iPF9000 at least running the 32-bit kernel. Bad part is Indesign has some problems with SL. The printer profiles will not so up unless they are in the /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles. No profile will so up that are in System and User locations. This also affect Acrobat but not Photoshop or Illustrator.

Also the issue from ID where the monitor profile gets introduced into the printflow is still there. Sure hope that the new still have Fast Graphic Process.

No I cannot get the plugin to work, as it appears even if I choose lpd path it still requires the PrintMonitor that fails. Photoshop printing 16-bit file works fine through the driver as well as Lightroom running as a 64-bit app providing you use a printer preset. It does appear the printing correctly from LR is still dependent on the printer registered properly with in the ColorSync Utility.

I added the printer again and this is how I discovered this. Also when adding a new printers in I had to use the CUPS interface to set it to LPD, and when I did that everything printed correct from LR.

Doyle

Doyle

Thanks for the information but it is just a no go.

Have removed and reinstalled the driver for the IPF5000 a number of times and still no luck.
Will show up in System Preferences and under Print & Fax with the Green light as Idle, however when trying to print it is a no go.
I get an error: Error code : 20600.  Also states Driver not installed correctly.  Will also state to check for newer driver using Software Update.
After doing this a number of times I feel that the current driver for the IPF5000 is not compatible with Snow Leopard.

Stu

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2009, 09:34:44 am »

Doyle

Thanks for the information but it is just a no go.

Have removed and reinstalled the driver for the IPF5000 a number of times and still no luck.
Will show up in System Preferences and under Print & Fax with the Green light as Idle, however when trying to print it is a no go.
I get an error: Error code : 20600.  Also states Driver not installed correctly.  Will also state to check for newer driver using Software Update.
After doing this a number of times I feel that the current driver for the IPF5000 is not compatible with Snow Leopard.

Stu

Make sure that "Start Printmonitor when printing" in unchecked in Print Monitor preferences. Also check the CUPS interface and modify the connection so it is connected with LPD.

http://127.0.0.1:631/printers

Doyle

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2009, 01:54:31 pm »

Make sure that "Start Printmonitor when printing" in unchecked in Print Monitor preferences. Also check the CUPS interface and modify the connection so it is connected with LPD.

Doyle

Thanks for all the help but still no go.
In fact now when I try printing in Lightroom with the Canon IPF5000 printer Lightroom shuts down with error.
When printing with HP130 this does not happen. Go figure. It just does not work with the current Canon IPF5000 Driver.
From I have read via The Unofficial Canon ImagePROGRAF Printer Wiki http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/ drivers for the Canon IPF5000 and others will not be available until around  October 19th.  Guess I just have to wait until then.

Stu

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2009, 03:31:09 pm »

On or before October 9th.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2009, 04:52:26 pm »

Quote from: Josh-H
How the 'frig' did you get the Dell to work with your mac?

I have had a Dell 5110cn sitting here gathering dust since I went mac more than a year ago (the dell PC it came with was drop kicked out the door 5 minutes after I first booted the mac :-) - its basically a 5th wheel to me. But would like to get it going for word docs etc..

Can you link me to a post or details on how to get it going with OSX?

ditto - I now have 32 gig of ram in my mac pro as well. And love it.  

Dell has Mac OS Drivers for all of their printers. I purchased the Dell color laser 2 months before switching over to all Macs. It's actually been a great general purpose office printer for my business - fast, duplexing and low toner cost, relatively speaking.

Bud
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2009, 05:00:47 pm »

I installed SL on my early 2007 MacPro 8-core last night along with my late 2008 unibody MacBookPro, my daughter's 2007 MacBook (white) and my kids late 2008 iMac 20" all with no problems. The only issue off the bat was that Mail would not quit on all buy my daughter's MacBook. The fix for all 3 affected Macs was to drag the ~/Library/Mail folder to the desktop, restart Mail and import the mail from the desktop folder before deleting it.

On the MacPro, I've been working with LR 2.4 and PS CS4 using Viveza and Color Efex Pro 2.0 all day today without any issues. I made a few prints from within LR to my Epson R2400 using profiles set inside LR with no problems either.

All is looking pretty good right now.

Cheers.
Bud James
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

gdanmitchell

• http://www.gdanmitchell.com/
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2009, 06:21:25 pm »

My Epson 2200 encountered a bunch of problems after the update - grrr.....

First, the computer could not see the printer at all. I finally managed to get to the Epson site, download and reinstall the latest pre-10.6 driver, and the run their updater for 10.6 on top of that. Finally I can see the printer and send files to it...

... but the color is way off. A file that printed just fine 48 hours ago from 10.5 is now too dark and rather greenish. I'm doing the usual printer dialog dance of letting photoshop manage color and then turning off color management in the follow-up dialog box that offers me the option to let Epson's drivers manage color.  But the result looks pretty much like I did not do this.

Not a happy camper here...

Dan
G Dan Mitchell
SF Bay Area, California, USA

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2009, 07:56:12 pm »

Quote from: gdanmitchell

First, the computer could not see the printer at all. I finally managed to get to the Epson site, download and reinstall the latest pre-10.6 driver, and the run their updater for 10.6 on top of that. Finally I can see the printer and send files to it...

... but the color is way off. A file that printed just fine 48 hours ago from 10.5 is now too dark and rather greenish. I'm doing the usual printer dialog dance of letting photoshop manage color and then turning off color management in the follow-up dialog box that offers me the option to let Epson's drivers manage color.  But the result looks pretty much like I did not do this.

Dan

Is the printer registered properly with in the ColorSync Utility?

Doyle

vandevanterSH

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2009, 11:09:24 pm »

I had the same sort of problems with the 10.5 upgrade and my 3800.  Wasn't resolved until the new drivers were released.  I can't wait to install 10.6!!!

steve

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2009, 08:46:11 am »

Quote from: vandevanterSH
I had the same sort of problems with the 10.5 upgrade and my 3800.  Wasn't resolved until the new drivers were released.
Which is all to be expected. With reader reports and compatibility wikis we can choose our transition times wisely.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

James R

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2009, 10:17:42 am »

This will be my first Mac OS upgrade.  A quick question:  Will I need to reload all apps, such as LR2, and will I lose all my preference?  I don't relish setting up these programs again.

GregW

• http://
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2009, 10:39:21 am »

Quote from: James R
This will be my first Mac OS upgrade.  A quick question:  Will I need to reload all apps, such as LR2, and will I lose all my preference?  I don't relish setting up these programs again.

If you follow the standard OS upgrade process no; provided of course everything runs ok, which it should. A backup is always a good idea. If this is your first time it wouldn't hurt to take a look at Installing Snow Leopard: What you need to know from Macworld. Here is   A complete list of all Macworld Snow Leopard articles
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 10:40:39 am by GregW »

francois

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2009, 12:42:35 pm »

Quote from: GregW
If you follow the standard OS upgrade process no; provided of course everything runs ok, which it should. A backup is always a good idea. If this is your first time it wouldn't hurt to take a look at Installing Snow Leopard: What you need to know from Macworld. Here is   A complete list of all Macworld Snow Leopard articles
Usually, printers/faxes need to be added again but other software preferences are preserved.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 12:44:28 pm by francois »
Francois

James R

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2009, 04:14:20 pm »

Quote from: GregW

Thanks Gregg.  I'll check out the articles.

Pinga

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2009, 07:43:51 pm »

Dan

Greetings Dan,
I had the same setup, Snow Leopard and Epson 2200, using Aperture and Lightroom.  Had exactly the same problem as you, dark and greenish prints.  The reason for this is because Apple has finally moved from gamma 1.8 to 2.2 in Snow Leopard.  The old epson drivers are set up for gamma 1.8 by default.  After realizing this, and wasting 30 sheets of photo paper, and banging my head against the wall for three days - finally found the solution.

You're setup is most likely the usual, and proper, where you set up your color profile, media icc profile, etc in your in application (ie, aperture, photoshop, lightroom), and set your printer driver's "Color Management" to "No Color Adjustment".  This is what you must now do differently - set your Color Management to "Color Controls", and there you can set the driver's gamma to 2.2.  And viola!  You've got full use of your 2200 again!  Now be sure not to mess with the color sliders in that screen - continue to use the color adjustments and media icc profile in your application because the ONLY change you are overriding in the driver is the gamma - so you should be good to go.

Finally, beware of black point compensation (at least in Aperture) - you may need to disable this for now.  This is a separate issue which Apple has posted a KB article on http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2978.

Hope this helps!  Cheers!
Pinga.

gdanmitchell

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2009, 11:18:03 pm »

Is the printer registered properly with in the ColorSync Utility?

Doyle

Doyle, can you elaborate - I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Thanks,

Dan
G Dan Mitchell

gdanmitchell

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2009, 11:48:19 pm »

Quote from: Pinga
Greetings Dan,
I had the same setup, Snow Leopard and Epson 2200, using Aperture and Lightroom.  Had exactly the same problem as you, dark and greenish prints.  The reason for this is because Apple has finally moved from gamma 1.8 to 2.2 in Snow Leopard.  The old epson drivers are set up for gamma 1.8 by default.  After realizing this, and wasting 30 sheets of photo paper, and banging my head against the wall for three days - finally found the solution.

You're setup is most likely the usual, and proper, where you set up your color profile, media icc profile, etc in your in application (ie, aperture, photoshop, lightroom), and set your printer driver's "Color Management" to "No Color Adjustment".  This is what you must now do differently - set your Color Management to "Color Controls", and there you can set the driver's gamma to 2.2.  And viola!  You've got full use of your 2200 again!  Now be sure not to mess with the color sliders in that screen - continue to use the color adjustments and media icc profile in your application because the ONLY change you are overriding in the driver is the gamma - so you should be good to go.

Finally, beware of black point compensation (at least in Aperture) - you may need to disable this for now.  This is a separate issue which Apple has posted a KB article on http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2978.

Hope this helps!  Cheers!
Pinga.

Pinga:

Thanks for this advice - I have a print "in the hopper" as I write this and we'll see what happens. To make sure I'm on the right track with your instructions here, my process goes like this:

1. In the Photoshop print dialog I do the "page setup" thing to select my printer and paper, then let Photoshop manage colors, and make sure that I have the correct paper/printer profile selected and so forth. (Photoshop manages colors; Printer Profile:SP2200 Premium Lustre_PK; rendering intent: Relative Colorimetric; Black Point Compensation on - all pretty plain vanilla and it gives me a very accurate print.)

2. I click Print...

3. In the Print dialog window that appears I do the usual stuff: Select the usual "Print Settings" after choosing that popup.

4. Then, following your instructions, in this same Print dialog I choose the Color Management screen and now click the "Color Controls" button. Then I set Gamma to 2.2 instead of the default 1.8.

5. A question: In this window there is a "Mode:" popup menu. The default option is "Vivid." The alternative is "Photo-realistic." Seems to me that "photo-realistic" would be the more likely option - any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

OK, results are in. It sort of works - but I would not sell a print of the quality that comes out this way.

I had previously tried letting the Epson driver manage the printing but without changing the gamma. That gave me a semi-OK print but did not match the carefully calibrated and accurate results I was getting before when printing the normal way under OS 10.5.x. (In order to work around the driver problem I had used the "photo-realistic" setting in the Print dialog box but left the gamma on the original setting.) The image has enough of a blue cast that I would not use it for a serious print - some might consider it subtle, but it isn't right - I regard it as unacceptable, I'm afraid.

When I tried your suggestion - at least if I'm following the instructions correctly - the result is similar. While the print is no longer the God-awful way-too-dark-blue/green mess that I get when I try to print the way I did before (e.g. - Photoshop manages color, and color management turned off in the Print dialog window) it is slightly but very noticeably darker and bluer - the same as I got before when I let "Color Controls" take over.

At this point it seems that there are only three options:

1. Wait and hope that Epson updates the driver for the 2200. If they do, I'm a happy camper. If they don't, that tells me something about what kind of support I'd get from Epson if I end up choosing the third option below...

2. Connect that printer to an older non-Intel Mac running an earlier version of the OS. Install a copy of CS4 on that machine and use it for printing. Ugly, but it has the advantages that it a) should work, and  shouldn't cost anything.

3. Buy a new printer. As I consider whether to get another Epson (thinking of the 7900, actually) or an alternative from HP, the bad taste left in my mouth if Epson stops supporting a popular printer like the 2200 would have a significant effect on my choice since it would indicate their disinclination to support their products for very long.

Dan
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 11:57:28 pm by gdanmitchell »
G Dan Mitchell

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2009, 07:24:07 am »

Doyle, can you elaborate - I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Thanks,

Dan

Open the ColorSync Utility. Under devices is your printer listed there with a list of media setting and their associated profiles?

Doyle
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up