Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RED One in Vertical Position  (Read 4445 times)

Thomas Editions

• Best Giclée in LA
    • Thomas Editions  Fine Art Printing
RED One in Vertical Position
« on: August 22, 2009, 07:49:59 am »

Over the past few months there has been a growing need to shoot the RED in a vertical orientation.  A host of new motion "Live" advertisements using a vertical format are fast being put into place.  That will call for a vertical shooting solution.  

[attachment=16165:IMG_0333.jpg]

I was part of a test today in Santa Monica Ca.  I've post to my RED blog site, please check it out, http://reddigitalmotionandstill.blogspot.com/.

Also I'm curious to know what questions stills photographer have in regards to shooting on the RED?

Von Thomas
Von Thomas
Printmeister, Thomas Editions Fine Art Prints

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 01:58:31 pm »

Looks like you've got it all handled there nicely in a manageable package.  What a huge benefit it is to be able see the image in real time on a flat screen as it will viewed by the audience, that alone makes digital unbeatable.

Long ago worked on a vertical shoot with a 65mm film camera.  Almost impossible to get a credible looking vertical alignment with the sideways viewfinder and primitive video tap, in projection the 2.25:1 images almost always looked non-level no matter how straight they looked on set.  With custom bracing and counterweights the camera head was the size and weight of a Harley Hog.  Was very stressful, especially when media costs up to daily print were around $50/second for the big format.  Would have been so easy with digital.  Was for a ridefilm that never happened.

Yes there are issues here and there with the Red, but damn it looks good on the big silver screen!

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 08:49:03 am »

Quote from: digitaltechnyc
Also I'm curious to know what questions stills photographer have in regards to shooting on the RED?

Von Thomas

Im confused on grabbing useable stills from usable  footage (from anotyher thread..)

-----

Surely if you are creating usable motion footage your shutter is at 1/48 and therefore your stills are blurred in the main (and therefore unusable)

OR

you are shooting at a motion freezing shutter like 1/250 - you get usable stills but your footage is strobby and stutters and is therefore unusable in the main

------

Is there a software probably for smoothing between frames shot at a high shutter speed (1/250th) etc

S

Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Thomas Editions

• Best Giclée in LA
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 09:37:56 pm »

This past weekend I took part in a conference at LA Film School.  The event was called Collision Conference, where still and motion converge.  The event hosted by Images Mechanics featured a host of renowned speakers and lecturers from the still and motion world.  Ted from RED, Shane Hurlbut, Vincent Laforet, Rodney Charters, Liam Finn, Alexx Henry, Frank Rohmer, Michael Britt and Illya Friedman.

The conference featured two cameras, the RED One and the Canon 5D Mark2.  There were vendors from Red Rock Micro, Zeiss, Canon, Bogen, Ikan, Samy's Camera and more.

Demo's were held twice daily featuring the Canon 5D and the RED shot in vertical orientation (sideways).  The reason behind this way of shooting is so a photographer can shoot for vertical ads and signage.  Many of the new ads for automotive, cosmetics, movies, and just about everything else are using this format, and now with motion.  I gave the RED in vertical demo, using the RED modified to sit vertically.  Fairly straight forward, but I went off the path when I showed how I finished the edit in Photoshop.

Below is a image captured on RED, and quickly color graded and finished as vertical poster.

RED IN VERTICAL

Von
Von Thomas

Thomas Editions

• Best Giclée in LA
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 09:45:35 pm »

Quote from: Morgan_Moore
Im confused on grabbing useable stills from usable  footage (from anotyher thread..)

-----

Surely if you are creating usable motion footage your shutter is at 1/48 and therefore your stills are blurred in the main (and therefore unusable)

OR

you are shooting at a motion freezing shutter like 1/250 - you get usable stills but your footage is strobby and stutters and is therefore unusable in the main

------

Is there a software probably for smoothing between frames shot at a high shutter speed (1/250th) etc

S

The images was  shoot at 1/96, not stutter, I've also shot at speeds up to 1/250 with not problem.  

Ted from RED brought over 5 large prints from RED One files, they all look beautiful.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 09:46:34 pm by digitaltechnyc »
Von Thomas
Pages: [1]   Go Up