Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First ANC Clean  (Read 2431 times)

GeoffM

• http://
First ANC Clean
« on: August 21, 2009, 12:26:33 pm »

I had my first ANC clean since getting my 7900 about 10 days ago. I had gone three days without printing and when I powered up it ran the ANC and then started cleaning. The cleaning cycle took almost 15 minutes. Is this normal? And is there a way to tell how much ink is used during a cleaning cycle?

Geoff

fjmcsu

First ANC Clean
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 01:11:51 pm »

Quote from: GeoffM
I had my first ANC clean since getting my 7900 about 10 days ago. I had gone three days without printing and when I powered up it ran the ANC and then started cleaning. The cleaning cycle took almost 15 minutes. Is this normal? And is there a way to tell how much ink is used during a cleaning cycle?

Geoff
Geoff,
 For me that is pretty normal,particularly on just using the machine & depending on the number of clogged heads. I have found the cleanings longer in general than my 7600 , so I have reverted to Service Mode cleaning as others have for this reason as well as ink usage.etc.I know that there numbers out for amounts used & there is a thread concerning that subject & I am sure someone can give you an approximation when they chime in.

Guigui

First ANC Clean
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 05:24:12 pm »

Geoff

Go there and install Job Monitor : http://esupport.epson-europe.com/ProductHo...wW0Wo1&tc=6

This software from Epson gives you all the details you want to know about ink consumption of your prints.

Normally your next job should display an anormally large amount of ink used, that's the ink the printer used to clean the nozzles plus the ink used for the job itself. I haven't been doing this long enough to claim to be an expert on the subject but I bet you'll see something like 25-30ml of ink used on your next job in Job Monitor.

And that is definitely not normal, according to the Epson documentation on this printer. See other threads for more details about failing cleaning cycles.

Happy printing,
Guillaume.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
First ANC Clean
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 05:25:33 pm »

Geoff

Did the printer perform the clean just from starting it up, or did it do a nozzle check before printing a print?  The ANC was removed from the power up sequence 2 firmware releases ago.  Most find it better print a nozzle pattern and have updated firmware to avoid this.

As far as cleaning, if it took 15 minutes I would guess iit cleaned more than once.  This can be from the 1st cleaning not succeeding, but it can also be from the ANC check falsely reporting clogs.  If it did a full head clean it appears to take about 20-25ml of ink each time .  If the ANC circuitry is faulty I believe it makes 3 attempts to "clean" the nozzles before reporting which means if you actually get the error message "cleaning failed would you like to try again" (to which you should never try again because the nozzles are probably clean) it would have used about 60 to 70 ml.  

I have been recommending the use of service mode cleaning which eliminates the ANC check.  By using printed nozzle checks and service mode cleans you can control the cleaning process much easier.  There are a couple of threads which talk about this, and if you are interested I've written up a little article.

Tips on using an Epson 7900

GeoffM

First ANC Clean
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 08:50:40 pm »

Quote from: Guigui
Normally your next job should display an anormally large amount of ink used, that's the ink the printer used to clean the nozzles plus the ink used for the job itself.

That's the part I was missing. I wasn't sure if the cleaning was considered a "job" or not. I checked the usage and the print right after the cleaning was 42.5ml.

Thanks,

Geoff

GeoffM

First ANC Clean
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 08:53:31 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
Did the printer perform the clean just from starting it up, or did it do a nozzle check before printing a print?  The ANC was removed from the power up sequence 2 firmware releases ago.  Most find it better print a nozzle pattern and have updated firmware to avoid this.

Thanks Wayne. It actually did an ANC after I sent it the first print job. That took about 15 minutes, and judging from the sounds I would have guessed it made more than on cycle through whatever it was doing. It did finish with no errors. This is with the latest firmware and ANC set to "Periodically". The ink usage on the next print job was 42.5ml.

I'll check out your article, thanks.

Geoff

GeoffM

First ANC Clean
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 09:18:00 pm »

Just started up the printer again this evening after one day of no use, disabled ANC and then immediately did a nozzle check print. Three colors badly messed up. Popped into maintenance mode and ran a CL1 clean. Ran another nozzle check and all was good.

Is there a way to get out of maintenance mode to run a nozzle check without power cycling the printer?

Geoff

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
First ANC Clean
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 10:01:38 pm »

Is there a way to get out of maintenance mode to run a nozzle check without power cycling the printer?

Geoff

probably easiest solution is to print a nozzle check from the computer.

GeoffM

First ANC Clean
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 10:11:10 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
probably easiest solution is to print a nozzle check from the computer.

OK, thanks. Do you leave your printer in maintenance mode after cleaning, or do you power cycle to get it back to normal before sending print jobs?

Geoff

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
First ANC Clean
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 04:06:40 am »

I had my first ANC clean since getting my 7900 about 10 days ago. I had gone three days without printing and when I powered up it ran the ANC and then started cleaning. The cleaning cycle took almost 15 minutes. Is this normal?

I suppose this "feature" could  be considered normal as it has been present in some x900 printers since deliveries began.
My 7900 arrived last November and in less than a week I experienced these symptoms.
I contacted my dealer and was advised to disable the ANC.
It has stayed that way ever since.

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=29823

Here are some of my printer tips:

1. As Wayne has suggested, make sure you have the latest firmware so as to disable the power-on ANC.
2. Store new carts in the same room as your printer. The carts may be rejected if there is any temperature/humidity variation.
3. Use CL1 clean in Service Mode and run a nozzle test pattern from you computer. This works for me every time.
4. If the printer goes into low-power mode, consider switching off and on and re-running a nozzle check. I have found that low-power mode can disrupt the ink pressure causing major nozzle "clogs".
5. Try to minimize black switching by batching prints. I have found that switching blacks can trigger the ANC "feature" even if it has been disabled in the menus.
6. Avoid ink dropping on to your custom papers by setting the printer suction and the platen gap to the maximum the paper can handle.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 04:32:39 am by Ionaca »
Ryan Grayley BA IEng MIET ARPS
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK

GeoffM

First ANC Clean
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 08:33:30 am »

Thanks for all the tips Ryan.

I've disabled ANC now and successfully used the CL1 cleaning process for the last nozzle clog. Much faster too. I'm hoping things settle with the printer and I don't to clean it every time I want to print, but if the worst thing I need to do is run a nozzle check and CL1 then I can live with that.

Geoff

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
First ANC Clean
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 05:05:05 pm »

OK, thanks. Do you leave your printer in maintenance mode after cleaning, or do you power cycle to get it back to normal before sending print jobs?

Geoff

I normally power cycle the printer and use normal mode once the nozzles are clear.  I haven't had problems like Ryan with low power mode... I have only had nozzle problems when the printer has been turned off overnight or longer (and even that is very rare now).

I found with this second printer that clogging issues became less and less over the first few weeks, and now clogs are very rare.  Hopefully yours will follow that same pattern.
Pages: [1]   Go Up