Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SquaReD  (Read 4202 times)

ognita

SquaReD
« on: August 21, 2009, 07:22:38 am »

I have been a long time reader of the boards and I have found it to be very informative. I recently signed-up and continued reading but this time, trying to get the pulse of the community. I just read the thread about User Critiques (what's the idea) and I believe that showing my images will make me learn more.

Here's 3 of my works. They're open for critique. I would like to hear your honest opinion about them. The good and the bad.

shutterpup

SquaReD
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 08:52:29 am »

I think that you, like me, are a sky watcher since that appears to be what you give the greatest weight to in these shots. If that was your intent, you have succeeded. There will be others who will say that there is too much sky and to crop. I like these the way they are. I leave more technical discussion to others.

dalethorn

SquaReD
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 09:15:52 am »

When printed, and depending on how and where they're displayed, they could be very dramatic and aesthetically pleasing.  But on the limited area of a computer screen, where most people will see them, the non-sky areas get squashed by the large skies, so to speak.  Anything you want to present is fine, as these are, it's just something to consider.

ognita

SquaReD
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 10:09:27 am »

Thank you for the insights.
I chose the 3 photos to post amongst others. After reading your posts, I realized that I am indeed attracted to negative space  I envision a scene as if it's already hanging on a wall and compose accordingly.
I have my images printed on Epson Velvet. I would like to try Fuji Crystal Archive but my printer guys only carries Epson (would you know it's equivalent?)

Anyway, here's 2 more of my works.

shutterpup

SquaReD
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 10:23:36 am »

Quote from: ognita
Thank you for the insights.
I chose the 3 photos to post amongst others. After reading your posts, I realized that I am indeed attracted to negative space  I envision a scene as if it's already hanging on a wall and compose accordingly.
I have my images printed on Epson Velvet. I would like to try Fuji Crystal Archive but my printer guys only carries Epson (would you know it's equivalent?)

Anyway, here's 2 more of my works.

Love the first one of the second set. This is the kind of landscape that really attracts my eye. There was an episode of Sunrise Earth that featured the Li River with fishermen with their commorants. I fell in love with the lighting, the whole scene. The host at this site has had a portfolio in LensWork; among the photos is an Asian one with the beautiful lighting and fog. Michael, I hope you didn't mind that I saved it for wallpaper.

button

• http://
SquaReD
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 10:47:28 am »

Quote from: ognita
Hopefully, in time, I may give more on the boards rather than taking from it

Hey, take all you want- that's what it's for!  You've already contributed a lot with these photos.

For me, #3 of your first post produces the most impact.  You have composed a "spoke wheel" of sorts, with the dominant turret of the Great Wall acting as the hub, and the cloud lines and the foreground Wall acting as the spokes: subtle, yet effective.  The contrast in the sky coupled with the vignette-like effect there strengthen the diagonal lines of the clouds, and the tones in the Wall propagate the theme.

My only question: what does the turret in the background add to the image?  Overall, a strong shot.

John

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
SquaReD
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 11:28:44 am »

Ognita, you're killing me here!  All of the images you posted are absolutely spectacular IMHO!  I like your eye for composition, and your choice of tones is outstanding.  I wish I could add some constructive criticism, but the only thing I'd be able to say is that you need to send prints to me.      Very, very impressive!

One more thing.  If you all haven't checked out his webpage, do so.  Ognita, you really have a talent for B&W, and I hope you'll continue to share your work with us here.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 11:43:40 am by jasonrandolph »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
SquaReD
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 12:29:10 pm »

Ognita, This is master grade work. Ah, lucky man to have so much fog available. I really enjoyed every one of your posted photographs. The row of trees running diagonally beneath an open sky is fine art -- no question about it. Then I scrolled down to the third photo in the first set. The way the arc of shadow follows the upward sweep of the wall is a marvelous observation. Both pictures in the second set are equally good. Then I jumped to your web. Jason's right. No one should pass this by. From what I've seen, any criticism you offer should be taken very seriously by the person benefiting from it. You obviously know what you're doing.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

DarkPenguin

SquaReD
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 03:35:40 pm »

I like every one except for the first.  Just feels like the clearest thing in frame is chopped off.  That could be a resizing artifact.

Jeremy Payne

SquaReD
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 03:53:01 pm »

Gorgeous! - especially the foggy lake.

Hard to find any faults ... but if it were my shot, I think I would clone out the very bright spot in the lower left at the base of the Wall in shot #3 of the first post.

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
SquaReD
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 04:18:11 pm »

Hi, Ognita,

Please consider me a fan.  I love your use of negative space, tonality and choice of scene.

Beautiful work--thank you for sharing!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 04:18:40 pm by bradleygibson »
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
SquaReD
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 04:41:14 pm »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
Gorgeous! - especially the foggy lake.

Hard to find any faults ... but if it were my shot, I think I would clone out the very bright spot in the lower left at the base of the Wall in shot #3 of the first post.

Now that's close observation. I missed it. Jeremy's right. That needs to go.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
SquaReD
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 05:08:45 pm »

Just a little bit of burning should pull that detail out.  Good eye Jeremy!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 05:09:16 pm by jasonrandolph »

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
SquaReD
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 05:22:15 pm »

This is a really nice set. You've made excellent use of the square format in your compositions. I like the minimalist design with lots of negative space in #1 and #4; really excellent use of subtle tonal transitions and I really like the high-key look.

#2 misses the mark for me slightly. I like the contrast of the bright moon and the softer highlight tones of the clouds against the stark, black sky. But I wish the clouds led into the upper corner of the frame with more negative space below, rather than the arrangement here. "Grounding" these celestial subjects at the bottom of the frame just doesn't seem quite right to me.

John (button) has already offered an excellent break-down of what works about #3, I really like the way the clouds seem to radiate outwards.

Finally in the last one, the wonderful use of light, shadow, and path of the wall through the frame have created a really nice sense of depth, particularly impressive given the square format.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 05:23:22 pm by JeffKohn »
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

ognita

SquaReD
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 07:55:29 pm »

Thank you all for your wonderful comments. They're all I expected to get from a good mix of great photographers - varying opinions and a great eye for detail. I will make note of all your comments, and to those who visited my site - thank you.

With your feedbacks, I knew that I am on the right track and saw things I missed.

Before this thread becomes my gallery, I'll leave with these 2 images.

Again, thank you.
ReD

byork

SquaReD
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 08:35:23 pm »

Red,

What can I say? Everyone's already said it...all I can do is add my name to your growing fan club.

I've just been through every shot on your website and I can honestly say it's the best portfolio I've seen in a long time. Your eye for a composition is sensational as are the tones of both the black & whites and colours.

Of the ones you posted for critique, my favourite is the last of the second set....I imagine myself walking across the top of the wall from the bottom left right through the distance to the top right. I've never been to the great wall, but it's definitely on my bucket list.

Cheers
Brian

Forgot to mention, love the one fingered salute to the "rule" of never placing the horizon in the middle of the frame....especially with all the negative space around it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 08:46:38 pm by byork »

ognita

SquaReD
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 09:06:51 pm »

Quote from: button
<snip>
My only question: what does the turret in the background add to the image?  Overall, a strong shot.

John

oops, I forgot to answer your query. I believe you are referring to the towers?
In the photo itself, it serves as a "middle-man" for the eyes to go forward along the lines of the wall or a better sense of depth perhaps?
In all honesty, I just had no better angle in getting the frame I have in mind, hehe. I think I was already doing a cliff hanger of sort when I took that shot

Thanks John!

Byork,
Thank you for your kind words. Hit me a PM when you're ready to cross-out the GW on your list

Added info:
This is the only part of the wall (Jinshanling) wherein you can do an overnight stay - legally. You're basically going to sleep in one of those turrets John is mentioning. Here's a view from the campsite (not included on my website, shot taken for posterity)

ReD
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 09:17:31 pm by ognita »

BlackSmith

SquaReD
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 02:05:50 am »

Red,
I was going to pass, but realized I'll never get a chance to ask this again. What are the two rods sticking out of the water?
Sean

ognita

SquaReD
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 04:30:25 am »

Quote from: BlackSmith
Red,
I was going to pass, but realized I'll never get a chance to ask this again. What are the two rods sticking out of the water?
Sean

Hi Sean
To be honest, I have no idea. At first I thought they were something for the boats to tie onto (this shot was on a lake with boat rides) but then I saw the same poles at the back of the Forbidden City.

They do not spit any water nor do anything else obvious. My best bet (since they have a colored part) is that they're a way to meter the height of the water.

Thanks for dropping by
ReD
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 04:39:13 am by ognita »
Pages: [1]   Go Up