Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Article: "A-List Stars Flailing at the Box Office This Summer"  (Read 1954 times)

Pete Ferling

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 07:19:55 pm by Pete Ferling »

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Article: "A-List Stars Flailing at the Box Office This Summer"
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 08:36:51 pm »

Times do change, the new media's scythe cuts a broad swath.   The wildly successful "District 9" has no stars at all, does not bode well for the glitterati.  First time I visited Tokyo I was surprised by how many stars and even famous producers were appearing on street ads, unthinkable at the time in the US.  Now it's happening here.  You grub a buck where you can these days.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 10:19:18 am »

It is always hard to detect change when it’s in mid-stream, but given that sales of everything are off, I think the article’s author may have missed the mark. This is not so much a reflection of fading star power as of consumers that don’t have the spare $40 to spend on tickets and treats for 2 week after week.

The industry may help itself by doing what everyone else is doing, and slowing down production. Of course, they have schedules that were set long before the meltdown, so have little choice but to move foreword. The business model for the production houses probably depend primarily several films being produced concurrently, as well as hopes for the occasional big seller or block buster, which is a fairly rare gem in a down economy.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 12:54:53 pm »

The industry does better in hard times, but budgets are lower and the bean counters gain sway.  The only thing that really slows down the movie industry is strikes and looming strike threats.  And perhaps the cracks for dark horse indie features open a little wider in times like these.

And I agree with you about theater expense, the classic model of the motion picture industry as a support tool to sell expensive popcorn seriously needs an overhaul.  And don't get me started on the subject of crappy theater projection.  In a theater you should see an image significantly better than from a standard DVD, unfortunately that is far from certain outside of way too few first class, non-megaplex screens with real projection systems and a dedicated projectionist who has a concept of what "bright" and "in focus" mean and never has to sub at the popcorn stand.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 10:37:02 am »

> The industry does better in hard times, but budgets are lower and the bean counters gain sway. The only thing that really slows down the movie industry is strikes and looming strike threats. And perhaps the cracks for dark horse indie features open a little wider in times like these.

I read about the strength of the industry during past downturns. I’m not sure the circumstances are the same for this one. During past recessions the general public did not have access to HD, video on demand, DVRs, Netflix, et al. All of these compete directly with the big box theater industry and work hard to chop them off at the ankles.

There is definitely a growing market for the indy producers you referenced. The growth of the film festival all over is clear evidence of that.

I read a coupe of days ago that the theater industry is moving away from newspaper advertising. A clear sign of major change.
Pages: [1]   Go Up