Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad HD311-60 V Phase + 65  (Read 2860 times)

Dick Roadnight

Hasselblad HD311-60 V Phase + 65
« on: August 20, 2009, 12:05:00 pm »

They tell me that the list price of the H3D11-60 is £7,500 more than the 50, so I will be surprised if they sell many.

These two cameras/backs supposedly use the same chip... so why is the res different? (The Hassy is 60.1 Mpx, and the Phase 60.5) this is a PITA, as the Hassy will not be "the biggest".

The H3D11-60 still has enough res to fill the width of a 24" printer at 360 original camera pixels per print inch, without uprezzing, scaling or distortion - should look good... even without using a view camera to shift and stitch.

Are any of you thinking about buying a 60Mpx camera, so, and if so, which?

Which system is best for what applications?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 12:44:03 pm »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
They tell me that the list price of the H3D11-60 is £7,500 more than the 50, so I will be surprised if they sell many.

These two cameras/backs supposedly use the same chip... so why is the res different? (The Hassy is 60.1 Mpx, and the Phase 60.5) this is a PITA, as the Hassy will not be "the biggest".

The H3D11-60 still has enough res to fill the width of a 24" printer at 360 original camera pixels per print inch, without uprezzing, scaling or distortion - should look good... even without using a view camera to shift and stitch.

Are any of you thinking about buying a 60Mpx camera, so, and if so, which?

Which system is best for what applications?

Supposedly they use the same basic pixel but the design of the chip and the way it work can be very different.

Seeing the results from the P65+ it looks like any Dalsa-related issues e.g centrefold etc. are non-existent and it meets the advertised spec AFAIK in terms of capture speed, DR, exposure time and overall performance. Plus it comes with C1.
The H3D-II 60 on the other hand is a "yet to be proven" product and being the first Dalsa chipped back since the Imacon 2030 it may (or may not) have quite a few initial issues.

Add the fact that the P65+ does not require an external power source to work untethered on a view camera and that it comes in several different mounts and I think that it might be the better choice.

And let's not forget the Aptus-II 10 which at 56MP offers proven Dalsa quality with the biggest touch screen, best Live View (tethered) and the widest frame...

Good times for those who have the cash and turnover to invest in these beasts.

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 05:26:52 pm »

Quote from: yaya
Supposedly they use the same basic pixel but the design of the chip and the way it work can be very different.

Seeing the results from the P65+ it looks like any Dalsa-related issues e.g centrefold etc. are non-existent and it meets the advertised spec AFAIK in terms of capture speed, DR, exposure time and overall performance. Plus it comes with C1.
The H3D-II 60 on the other hand is a "yet to be proven" product and being the first Dalsa chipped back since the Imacon 2030 it may (or may not) have quite a few initial issues.
If I wanted to go to Houston on the promotion weekend, I would have had until tomorrow (21st) to decide and commit myself, but they have offered me a very good deal if I do not go, and I will not have to pay or commit myself for months (the original terms of the upgrade offer were that I had to upgrade within 90 days of the 60 coming on the market (just before Christmas) and the 90 days would give me a chance to see if there are problems with the new back.
Add the fact that the P65+ does not require an external power source to work untethered on a view camera and that it comes in several different mounts and I think that it might be the better choice.
Can you buy a P65 and use it with different adaptor plates on different cameras, or do you have to specify one mount and stick with it?

I believe Linhof do a sliding back for the Hasselblad that enables you to connect the Hasselblad battery, and use it untethered without an extra battery... I do not know if this is 60 compatible.
And let's not forget the Aptus-II 10 which at 56MP offers proven Dalsa quality with the biggest touch screen, best Live View (tethered) and the widest frame...

Good times for those who have the cash and turnover to invest in these beasts.

Yair
I thought that Sinar had the best live view?

One of the reasons that I wanted the 60 was that live view is not enabled on the 50, but they tell me that live view will be available on the 50 "this month".

I had demanded my money back on the 50 (because the lack of live view) and that would have given me the option to get the P65+. I went for a Hasselblad/Sinar system partly as I already had system-compatible Hasselblad and Sinar equipment... mostly the cf lenses.

I see that they (Teamwork/Phase) are offering big discounts on Phase/Arca systems - is this in response to the Hasselblad promotion (which includes the 50).

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 06:06:23 pm »

Quote from: John-S
If you think you can sell more prints or get more commercial/editorial clients because of 10 more megapixels, then by all means upgrade. You already have a 50MP camera, what possibly will you gain in the real world with the 60MP back. I just don't understand the mentality. It's not as if these backs are years apart in tech or development, rather months apart, 1.1x vs 1.0x frame, none of which seems a worthy cause to spend more money from what you have. It's an endless game. If the photos kick ass, know one else cares about 50MP or 60MP or 1billionMP.
I agree that the extra 10 megapixels alone will not make a great deal of difference - but I am asking the question "will there be other advantages"... one advantage I was expecting was working live view, but they expect that it will be working on the 50 before the 60 is available.

I had heard that the Dalsa chip is better at tolerating the far-off-perpendicular incident light angles you get with no-retro wide angles - any info anyone?

Many readers of this thread may be wondering if this is the right time to upgrade from a 20, 30 or 40 Mpx system to which 50 or 60 Mpx system, so the thread is not just about my decision.

As I said in my initial post:

The H3D11-60 has enough res to fill the width of a 24" printer at 360 original camera pixels per print inch, without uprezzing, scaling or distortion.

... and I think this is significant, having seen (on the Epsom stand at focus) a sample print showing print Moire at 300 pixels per inch... perhaps the colorburst rip will prevent this?

I am still hoping to get a Seitz (scan) or Red (ccd) 160 Mpx 617 digiback for my Sinar P2, and that would be enough of a difference to make a difference... but if you only get half as many lp/mm with large format lenses, I might have to stitch with that!

Does anyone know if any other manufacturer is likely to ship a 60 + mpx back in the foreseeable future?

The one third of a megapixel difference in the size of the HDF11-60 and the P65+is totally irrelevant, except that it could be argued (pedantically) that it would be illegal advertised one's services as using the "biggest, best and latest" camera system if it was 300,000 pixels smaller.

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 06:45:24 pm »

H needs to get the 50 working with live video and tethering to phocus correctly before we go on the 60 version. my H322 is still fine - no one has said a peep ever...
Pages: [1]   Go Up