Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Macbook Pro 15 or 17  (Read 3493 times)

pixtweak

Macbook Pro 15 or 17
« on: August 19, 2009, 06:56:14 pm »

Hello,

I am trying to decide whether or not to get the MBP 15 or 17. I was leaning towards the 17 because it used to be the only option with a Matte screen. Now that the 15 inch is available with the same Matte screen, I am reconsidering. I have always preferred the size of the MBP 15. However the 17 is not that much bigger, and images on screen seem to me to be more detailed and the overall viewing area more useful on the 17. I also value having a third USB port. Especially since many have reported that there is not enough room between the ports on MBP's for two or more USB cables side by side. Finally I have no use for an SD card reader (use CF exclusively), and the Express Card slot offers more flexibility including eSATA.

I mainly would welcome hearing from you regarding your work experience and preferences with these two screen sizes and resolutions. Thanks.

jjlphoto

Macbook Pro 15 or 17
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 07:43:24 pm »

15" now includes matte screen option
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

pixtweak

Macbook Pro 15 or 17
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 06:12:31 pm »

A follow up for those of you who may be making the same decision. I ordered a MBP 17. Macbook Pros are a little skimpy when it comes to ports so the additional USB port, and the advantages and potential future proofing re: the express card slot were a couple of the advantages that tipped the scales for me. The express card slot allows me an eSata option as well as USB 3 when it comes out. In addition the larger screen and resolution I found to be much better suited for photography as well as working on things with multiple open applications. The trade off regarding size and weight,  for me was not enough to overide the other points. The MBP 17 also gets a little bit longer battery life, not much say 15 to 30 minutes depending, but every bit helps. The price difference between an equally configured (CPU, HD, & RAM) MBP 15 is $200, so given these considerations I think that is incidental. If the Macbook Pro 15 had a 1680 x 1050 screen and an express card slot, then I would have gone with it. This is going to be my only computer for the immediate future so this is definitely a "desktop replacement" for me. Finally I had to get this now as my 6 year old workstation died and needed to be replaced. If I could have, I would have waited. I would advise anyone who can wait for the next generation Macbook Pros to do so.

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
Macbook Pro 15 or 17
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 10:36:12 am »

Curious about your advice about waiting for the next generation of macbook pro's, what is worth waiting for? I'm strongly considering a 13" MBP as soon as snow leopard is available.  
My only wish would be the matte screen, but probably will not make it to the 13" model.

pixtweak

Macbook Pro 15 or 17
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 01:10:48 am »

Quote from: soboyle
Curious about your advice about waiting for the next generation of macbook pro's, what is worth waiting for? I'm strongly considering a 13" MBP as soon as snow leopard is available.  
My only wish would be the matte screen, but probably will not make it to the 13" model.

The new CPU's and GPU's are going to be much better. I know this is always the case each year new models come out, but this year is going to offer a much greater bump in performance and capabilities. Do some searches and review articles on the next gen mobile Intel CPU's as well as GPU's from nVidia and ATI. Check out articles at Digitimes, Computerworld, Information Week, etc.. Then there is USB 3 which if it were available now, would overcome my reluctance to forgo an express card slot.

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/HONSHI/20090629/172372/
Pages: [1]   Go Up