Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the idea?  (Read 13988 times)

dalethorn

What's the idea?
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2009, 12:15:01 am »

Quote from: shutterpup
I came to the realization recently that my photos are not of the quality that I would like them to be. Prior to that self-revelation, I did post some photos, some ok, most not. The negative comments I got were invaluable to me. I was someone who read about this or that technique, and then like a small child experimenting, tried what I thought was the idea and submitted it here.
I failed to understand the concept of light. I was told that over and over. And I think it is a general disregard for working with the light that makes a photo "just a record of a moment" instead of a good photograph. I think it can help to have a great subject to start with, but without the lighting being used to advantage, the resulting photo is nothing to write home about.
I think we all have our favorite times of day to shoot based on the light at those times. But poor composition coupled with poor light equals a poor photo. That's where I've found myself these days, and it's why I haven't posted a pic in a while. I just don't have anything I myself find worthy of sharing. I am no longer a small child running to family members with every little picture that I make, proudly asking them to take a look. I want taking a look to be worthwhile.

You should post an occasional photo anyway.  Myself and many others here appreciate seeing a non-perfect photo.  It really helps balance the perfect ones.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
What's the idea?
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2009, 02:59:28 am »

THanks to Russ for starting this thread... it's evolved into some interesting discussion without devolving into name-calling.  At least so far.  My own view with regard to 'User Critiques' is that when I look at what's posted I try to come up with either someting nice to say, and if I can't do that, I look for something constructive to add.  If the image doesn't appeal to me personally (and nowhere is it written that every image posted here must do that!), and if I have nothing constructive to add, i.e. 'have you considered...' or 'if it was my image...' then I keep my mouth shut and move on.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
What's the idea?
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2009, 03:28:28 am »

Quote from: byork
Jeremy,

My comment was in no way meant to contradict you....and I'm sorry if you feel it was. It was merely an acknowledgment that we thought alike, but Alain's comment really struck a cord with me. However, I can't agree with the above quote. I believe it is possible to be confronted by a scene in what could be described from a photographic point of view as bad light, but would still inspire a feeling of awe in it's beauty. Nevertheless, a photo in said bad light would not have the same effect.

Regards
Brian
No, I didn't think there was and I'm not remotely offended!

I think to some extent what we have been discussing in relation to Alain's comment is circular. A scene looks good if "beautifully lit", as I commented: but equally, if the image looks good, it has been if not beautifully then at least appropriately lit.

Russ is obviously correct: what is good light for some forms of photography will inevitably be bad light for others. His contrast between lighting for good landscape and good street photography is one example. Another might be an attempt to convey gloom and foreboding, which wouldn't be helped by warm evening sunshine.

I think there's a measure of agreement here and I don't see the thread, with perhaps one exception, degenerating. It's been an interesting discussion.

Jeremy

Jeremy Payne

What's the idea?
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2009, 07:09:57 am »

Quote from: dalethorn
There was no bad blood because the person you hate, that you called a "posterior orifice" and whom you said was retarded was not posting then.
Dale ... wow, man ... you gotta chill out ... it ain't all about you.

John R

What's the idea?
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2009, 07:14:31 am »

Quote from: RSL
John, To take your argument to its logical conclusion, we need a new forum for you and others who don't want criticism called something like "User Displays." On that forum we'd only allow attaboy responses. A forum titled "User Critiques" makes clear exactly what it's for.

As far as "bad blood" is concerned, you may have noticed that there was no "bad blood" for a few weeks recently.
Not really. not looking for accolades or nice comments necessarily. One can still critique but it's usually much shorter. And you don't have to like photos even when others do. I don't think many will learn from this forum as almost any photo book, association, class or photo outing, is the way to go if you want to learn. Why should I say someone's image looks like someone that most people never heard of. If we stick to basics, then people might learn, just like in a classroom. And why bother to critique just to crop because you like it different, as opposed to trying to balance an image. There is too much of that also.

JMR

dalethorn

What's the idea?
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2009, 07:33:27 am »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
Dale ... wow, man ... you gotta chill out ... it ain't all about you.

What does it mean "wow man"?  Does it mean that I lied?  That Russ did not actually call me an a__hole?  Does it mean that you did not actually resort to name calling as well?  What are you trying to say?  That name calling is OK when you and Russ do it?

ognita

What's the idea?
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2009, 08:14:02 am »

I want to mention that giving comments on a photo is somehow hard for some. I personally find it challenging to elaborate on things that I like (specially in a language not my own) I have always been amazed on comments that seems to dissect the photo with ease. Maybe they went to some art school and knows the terms to use (come to think of it, most of them are professors, hehe)

In any case, it's a good thread. Discussions on the quality (or lack of it) of feedback is good for the community
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 08:14:54 am by ognita »

dalethorn

What's the idea?
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2009, 09:10:41 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
THanks to Russ for starting this thread...
Mike.

Since Russ usually (or always) pontificates, one would have to question why he, a person who has expressed disinterest in landscape photography, and who feels that 'HCB' is superior to 'AA' etc. etc., would assign himself to be the arbiter of who should and shouldn't post in this landscape photography forum.

shutterpup

What's the idea?
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2009, 09:28:07 am »

You should post an occasional photo anyway.  Myself and many others here appreciate seeing a non-perfect photo.  It really helps balance the perfect ones.

It is beyond me why anyone would think I would want to post a photo that by my own personal standards is substandard unless I have a specific question about composition or the like. Ineffective light makes an ineffective photo. We've all been there and done it; we don't need to share every photo we take IMHO.

shutterpup

What's the idea?
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2009, 09:30:54 am »

Since Russ usually (or always) pontificates, one would have to question why he, a person who has expressed disinterest in landscape photography, and who feels that 'HCB' is superior to 'AA' etc. etc., would assign himself to be the arbiter of who should and shouldn't post in this landscape photography forum.

Russ isn't arbitrating in any way who should or shouldn't post. We need an area like this to exchange ideas and information specific to specific photos. The rules that someone said we should get from classes and books sometimes just don't work when it comes to a specific photo. I myself have never received poor critique except one comment suggesting that I submit my own substandard work.

Jeremy Payne

What's the idea?
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2009, 10:01:00 am »

What does it mean "wow man"?
Means ...

Wow, man ... thought you might have learned something on your break, but it seems like the same old Dale ...

dalethorn

What's the idea?
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2009, 10:45:46 am »

It is beyond me why anyone would think I would want to post a photo that by my own personal standards is substandard unless I have a specific question about composition or the like. Ineffective light makes an ineffective photo. We've all been there and done it; we don't need to share every photo we take IMHO.

I said occasional photo, not every photo.

dalethorn

What's the idea?
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2009, 10:47:18 am »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
Means ...
Wow, man ... thought you might have learned something on your break, but it seems like the same old Dale ...

It certainly is the same old Jeremy Payne, obsessed with dalethorn.

As you should be, I suppose, since you have so much to learn.

dalethorn

What's the idea?
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2009, 10:51:17 am »

Russ isn't arbitrating in any way who should or shouldn't post.

From Russ:
"Harri, I couldn't agree more. But that's exactly the point. How many of the photos currently posted on User Critiques do you "get" -- as works of art? I could name a few, but I don't want to embarrass anyone...."

I'd call that being an arbiter.

cmi

What's the idea?
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2009, 10:51:29 am »

Dale! You might not or might be right, but right NOW you are damaging your own position! I dont like this thread either, but we all have all faults, you and me included! My advice: Stop talking to Russ, or ABOUT Russ altogether. We all have brains and can make up our own opinion, nobody here needs someone to warn about other persons. Thats just disgusting.

Just stay away from each other, stay away from Russ, because the noise that results only prohibit a *real* discussion and leaves a battlefield with scars. I dont see how the discussion in this  current state would lead to a solution for anything. You dont need to start hugging, plain tolerance will do.

Just stop it, please.

Christian

//edit for dales comment under me: "nobody here needs someone to warn about other persons." In the sense, that we are all adults and form our own opinions.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 11:06:59 am by Christian Miersch »

dalethorn

What's the idea?
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2009, 10:56:46 am »

Quote from: Christian Miersch
You might be right...

I dont like this thread either....

Stop talking to Russ....

nobody here needs someone to warn about other persons....

Well taken, especially the last phrase.  Ironic, isn't it?  About how nobody needs the warning. Heh.

shutterpup

What's the idea?
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2009, 11:11:32 am »

Quote from: Christian Miersch
Dale! You might not or might be right, but right NOW you are damaging your own position! I dont like this thread either, but we all have all faults, you and me included! My advice: Stop talking to Russ, or ABOUT Russ altogether. We all have brains and can make up our own opinion, nobody here needs someone to warn about other persons. Thats just disgusting.

Just stay away from each other, stay away from Russ, because the noise that results only prohibit a *real* discussion and leaves a battlefield with scars. I dont see how the discussion in this  current state would lead to a solution for anything. You dont need to start hugging, plain tolerance will do.

Just stop it, please.

Christian

//edit for dales comment under me: "nobody here needs someone to warn about other persons." In the sense, that we are all adults and form our own opinions.

Well said, Christian.

dalethorn

What's the idea?
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2009, 11:33:25 am »

Well said, Christian.

Apparently you missed the irony ("nobody needs to be warned...")  Very amusing.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up