Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clearing equipment through customs in China  (Read 3569 times)

FlosLek

Clearing equipment through customs in China
« on: August 19, 2009, 10:19:36 am »

I'm travelling to Australia and New Zealand for six weeks, but have a five day stop over in Beijing (being a tourist). I have heard horror stories about equipment being impounded by customs in China and you can't get a carnet to cover transit (only exhibitions). Does anyone have any suggestions of how to smooth transit through Chinese customs?

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 07:49:41 pm »

I went to China last year, to Beijing and Kunming. Absolutely no problems at all. I took my film camera for a change. I was able to get my film hand-checked without a fuss. In Beijing's subways, all baggage is scanned, so you need to take care of film getting cumulative scans.

Kumar

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 12:36:24 am »

Quote from: FlosLek
I'm travelling to Australia and New Zealand for six weeks, but have a five day stop over in Beijing (being a tourist). I have heard horror stories about equipment being impounded by customs in China and you can't get a carnet to cover transit (only exhibitions). Does anyone have any suggestions of how to smooth transit through Chinese customs?

Absolutely no problems. I have been to China six times this year alone. At times I have travelled with big camera pack with pro tripod at side, plus messenger bag with large format. Those were my carry-ons.

Regarding film; politely insist on hand inspection, or that they use a sniffing machine to detect. Dont fight, just friendly resist/insist. If you make a Chinese angry then they can cause problem. If any issue, politely in non offending way ask for supervisor.

Regards
Anders

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 02:01:19 am »

Traveled to BJ last year for the Olympics, where security was tight. Had my bag swabbed for explosives residue at a random check - which took 3 minutes before I was off -, camera, lenses, tripod and other gear caused no problems. Tripod checked, everything else in carry-on.

Took all my gear except for tripod to the Opening Ceremony, no problems there, either.

ChrisJR

• http://
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 07:45:20 am »

Never had any problems when I went to China. I was really worried about taking about all of my equipment but when I flew into Shanghai (may be different in Beijing) nobody cared about any of my luggage.

Took many flights around China and apart from the usual baggage scans there were no problems. High end cameras are extremely common in China nowadays and other members of this forum have mentioned seeing Phase One's and the like there before.

FlosLek

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 03:09:41 am »

Thanks for the advice everyone. Glad I'm worrying about nothing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up